16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Postby Milhouse » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:02 pm

I think my biggest concern with the "hard" seam fill options is that they do not give as the deck expands from heat.

I think that moisture variation is more worrisome than heat; the epoxy encapsulation should help with this. But either way if its going to move then its going to stress the epoxy that is bonding it to the substrate as well. I am always thinking about wood movement in my solid wood projects but this being veneer it is a bit more forgiving as Hoodman mentioned:
I would also think that thin veneers bonded to plywood substrate are going to be much more stable than the planks used in ye olden day.
Which I totally agree with, the planks were screwed which allowed for movement so I think the caulk was necessary at the time as well.

My veneer is quartersawn and it is a a heavy 1/8", to allow for fairing, but it does still move. I have seen some signs of this where it delaminated slightly on the sheer where the epoxy didn't bond that great to the fiberglass (I have since repaired it). The area that delaminated was indeed in the sun a lot (and I have since added a new shade). I think what happened is that the sun removed moisture from the top of the plank and it started to cup.

If it is fully encapsulated then it should behave much better (not perfect, but better). I guess I should just put my sample piece outside for awhile and see what happens to it :D :D
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:15 pm

2 coats of Epoxy encapsulation. I hot coated the second coat on the same day about 3 hours apart when the first coat was dry to the touch.

I observed some bubbling because I epoxied it when the wood was heating up instead of cooling down, should sand out fine and fill in the bubbles on future coats.

I decided not to stain it and just leave it natural.
Attachments
20180624_145820.jpg
20180624_154538.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Jim

Great job! I'm a fan of just wood/no stain.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Postby TomB » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:23 pm

Jim,

Fine job. The reflection says it all.

Tom

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Looks really nice Jim!
I like the no stain also. I have sanded down into the stain in a couple of places, and had had to touch up the stain. It's a real pain to get the fix right. The lack of stain will make any future repairs more much easier.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:53 pm

That's real pretty. Great job!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:36 pm

Thanks for the kind words Bill, Tom, Jim and Peter; I really appreciate the encouragement.

Next step is some light sanding and then filling the seams. I'm still sweating that decision (epoxy / caulk etc).
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:47 pm

Next step is some light sanding and then filling the seams. I'm still sweating that decision (epoxy / caulk etc).

Jim, I made a test deck to see if I could do the caulk. (pic below) You could make two test decks and try both the caulk and the epoxy and see what works out better for you.
Jim
Attachments
20180210_105116.jpg
Jim Neeley

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Jim - I too have made one, I epoxied one seam (West Systems 105, 205, 403)and it worked well but I think I might try a different filler (409B) as an experiment after watching this video (looks creamy :)). Have not tried the caulk yet.

Here is a vid of JD using 404
Attachments
seam.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

billy c

Postby billy c » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:19 am

Jim-
Nice to see the deck coated showing its true beauty!
IMO you might be better off using a microfiber type filler in those seams for it's adhesive qualities over the silica
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:45 am

You mentioned creamy color. My caulk went on white/white, but after many coats of varnish it has an amber tint to it. My plan is that when I am done with the varnish, I will apply white bootstripe paint over the caulk lines. (got that from reading a book on boat restoration).
jim
Jim Neeley

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:20 am

Correct me if I'm wrong Jim, but I think the early Chris Crafts had white caulk in the seams that turned amber with varnishing over time.

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong Jim, but I think the early Chris Crafts had white caulk in the seams that turned amber with varnishing over time.

They yellow per this post: http://glen-l.com/deckseams.pdf

I guess it's different strokes for different folks... The tradition up here is that the yellow stripes are a sign of
"authenticity"... at all the shows up here I don't think I have ever seen "bright white" seams.
--Bruce Dow (Canada)

I'm not sure I have a preference on whiteness as much as I don't want it to separate and get gaps/cracks with any wood movement or seam filler shrinking.

I saw somewhere that it was not recommended to varnish over the caulk and that is one reason I was thinking I would not use caulk it cause it seemed to be a pain to have to remove the caulk all the time to reapply varnish.

IMO you might be better off using a microfiber type filler in those seams for it's adhesive qualities over the silica

Billy - I have had good luck with the 403 so far so glad to hear you like it as well.

West System 403 Microfibers are a fine fiber blend used as a thickening additive with resin and hardener to create a multi-purpose adhesive especially suited for bonding wood. Epoxy thickened with microfibers has good gap-filling qualities while retaining excellent wetting/penetrating capability. Color: off-white.

West System 404 High-Density filler is an epoxy thickening additive developed for maximum physical properties in hardware bonding where high-cyclic loads are anticipated. 404 can also be used for filleting and gap filling where maximum strength is necessary. Color: off-white.

West System 406 Colloidal Silica is a thickening additive used to control the viscosity of the epoxy and prevent epoxy runoff in vertical and overhead joints. 406 is a very strong filler that creates a smooth mixture ideal for general bonding and filleting. It is also our most versatile filler. West System colloidal silica is often used in combination with other fillers to improve the strength, abrasion resistance, and consistency of fairing compounds, resulting in a tougher smoother surface. Color: off-white.

West System 409 A pure white, blended microshere based filler for filling and fairing GRP boats. This lightweight additive has good load bearing strength but is easy to work with hand tools after cure.

Looks like I should test them...
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:57 pm

Fred gave me some great guidance on how he routed his cooling water in is thread here

Here are the pics of the motor as I got it showing how the water was routed.

It looks like they had the cold water going into the exhaust first. My guess is so that the motor was not running so cold without a thermostat. Any thoughts on this approach?

With the modern thermostat that Fred found it seems that the exhaust shall be cooled last and since the thermostat has a bypass the exhaust will still get cooled when the thermostat is closed.
Attachments
water.jpg
Original Setup
with thermostat.jpg
Updated Setup with Thermostat
thermostat.jpg
Diagram from http://www.hardin-marine.com/instructions/540-160200.pdf
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

fredt

Postby fredt » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:17 am

Jim,

That looks correct and good. Only difference is your headers circulate the water out and inject back in at the exhaust elbows. The Barr headers are dual walled which inject the water at the elbow internally.

My first set up which I followed had an external belt drive pump, plus a gear driven pump , even though it was an open raw water system. I am just running off the Jabsco gear driven pump and it is working fine. Temp under load may get to 196 or so, then drop back to 165 to 170 . I did also invest in a IR thermo reader as to check temps at all points , but that was mainly due to the overheating prior to changing to this new thermostat part.

Good luck Jim,

Fred

Return to “Power Boats”