16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Post by mrintense » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:49 am

Cool stuff Jim. Every time I see someone post something about welding, I think about how I have wanted to learn how to weld. These last several years, I have not had any real reason to do so, but it's still a skill I would like to acquire at some point. Cost isn't the issue, just getting around to it.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:35 pm

I finally got around to ordering some perfection plus varnish. I put one coat on the piece that will hold my main fuse panel. So far I like it a lot better than Epifanes so far. Its dry to the touch already!

It seemed to flow out and level well even in the heat. I didn't use any reducer. I used a foam brush to apply.
Attachments
panel.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:49 pm

I have added a few more coats of perfection plus varnish (two part) and I like it a lot better than Epifanes (one part). Dries so much faster and so much less hassle even at 2x the price I think its worth it.

Edit - I started using 10-20% reducer 2333N and it helped it flow out even better.
Last edited by Milhouse on Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

footer

Post by footer » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:07 am

I used perfection plus on my top decks and love it. It lays down well and shines real nice.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:32 am

I'm calling the electrical panel finish "good enough" there are some dust nibs but when I took it outside they were pretty hard to see so I decided not to try and buff it out. This entire assembly will be mounted in a place that pretty much no one will see it good enough to scrutinize. It was good practice for learning how to use the perfection plus varnish.

I started installing the electrical components on it and they fit nicely. There will be a cover over the rear of the switch to protect the terminals from accidental contact. Its a bit of a bummer that the main fuse panel input lug does not come with a cover, I will have to figure something out to cover it.

I will probably mount the assembly to the seat with screws so I can remove it if I have to.

If you are wondering why the mounting screw heads are not all facing the same direction on the battery cutoff switch and are concerned about my attention to detail slipping....I tried to make they all match but worrying about stripping out the wood won over the over OCD :)
Attachments
20190727_165425.jpg
20190727_165433.jpg
Last edited by Milhouse on Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:00 am

Good enough is the same thing as perfect.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:05 pm

Looking great. I hope I can get my finish to look that good...I should have just gotten perfection plus for the deck but, I'm confident I'll get my finish there as well. The interior has a bit more of a satin look from when I sprayed which I actually prefer - whereas the deck will hopefully come out looking gorgeous.

Glad all the electrical stuff fits - that is a BEEFY wire from the battery cut off to the distribution / breaker panel (assuming that's what it is).

Looks like everything's going well!

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi Denon, thanks for the compliments on the finish.
Denon Osterman wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:05 pm
that is a BEEFY wire from the battery cut off to the distribution / breaker panel (assuming that's what it is).
Yep! It is 2/0 gauge because it is the main cable from the battery and it is protected by a 300A fuse. Per Table 4-5B of the Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical manual (great book BTW) 2/0 gauge 105C insulation wire inside Engine spaces (arguably this is close to the engine space...) is rated to 280A. This allows me to fuse all the circuits on the boat, even the starter cranking circuit. Page 242 (and USCG 183.455.c.1) allows for the fuse to be up to 150% of the rated Ampacity of the cranking cable so I may have been able to use a slightly smaller gauge (1 gauge) but this definitely meets USCG 183.455.b (Figure 25b & c) and I already had 2/0 handy :)
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:53 pm

I put a fresh coat of paint on the deck on Sunday in preparation for installing the electrical panel. It was looking a bit beat up with epoxy and varnish drips and general grime. Amazing what a fresh coat of paint looks/feels like after looking at the grungy deck for awhile.

The electrical panel is finally installed! I like how it turned out. It still needs to be fully wired up of course.

I love the little stainless angle brackets that secured the panel to the deck (link is in a prev post when I installed the seats) they really beefed up the install. Not fine woodworking but its got to be functional. I want to be able to remove the panel if needed. I also put some 3M silicone between the seat and the panel to keep water out of that junction and add a bit of grab to help the screws out a bit, also put silicone in all the screw holes to keep water out of the non-epoxied drilled holes to keep water out.

Note that there will be a cover over the exposed terminals of the battery switch, just need to order a different screw to mount it.

Finally installed the custom battery box as well it is thru bolted with 4x 1/4-20 bolts into 3/4" plywood to meet the 90 lb pull test USCG requirement (my 34M optima battery is actually only 38.4lbs so the requirement is 76.8‬lbs)...(per USCG 183.420.a).
Attachments
E panel.jpg
e panel 1.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:37 pm

I still can't get over that wiring :D why did you choose to fuse the cranking circuit - is that normal (I would have thought no?)

That looks like a very handy book for spec'ing out wiring, battery requirements, all of that other finicky stuff. I might just have to pick up a copy - thanks for the tip!

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Denon Osterman wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:37 pm
I still can't get over that wiring :D why did you choose to fuse the cranking circuit - is that normal (I would have thought no?)
USCG allows an exception for not having protection on the cranking circuit (USCG 183.460) but it is recommended good practice to fuse all circuits. This is explicitly mentioned on Page 244-245 of the fourth edition of the Boatowners Mechanical an Electrical Manual. The fuse can be oversize (IRT Current rating of the cable) to prevent nuisance blowing but will still prevent a meltdown and a fire if the conductor shorts out.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:39 pm

Makes sense. I'll definitely have to look into all of this before finalizing my wiring!

Thanks for the great tip on the book :)

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:30 am

Very nice Jim. Looks clean and simple. Easy to maintain.

That book is very good and full of great information. I have it as well.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:48 pm

I've been working on finishing up the trailer the past few weeks and I'm really happy how it turned out. It's pretty much done, just need to finish the licence plate bracket. This trailer had no lights on it at all and I totally rebuilt the entire thing. way more work than I thought it would be but fun and satisfying.

I added the details to the trailer forum here
Attachments
Start1.jpg
Start
done.jpg
Finish
back.jpg
Finish Rear
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

footer

Post by footer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:48 am

Deals like you got on that welder are the best . Nice bead. Everything is looking great.

Return to “Power Boats”