16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

psychobilly

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Post by psychobilly » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:03 am

Mr Hot Rod wrote:
Milhouse wrote:I am struggling to find Female AN-8 to 5/8" barbed fittings that are not push-lok
If a hose is rated to handle hydraulic fluid at a much higher temp, it should handle water ...

We never said that this was going to be easy ! ...
I know that the Push loks are good for water and air in cold temps! I've used then in the Chinchaga (Alberta / BC border) in -40c! 130psi no problem. :shock: :D

It should be easy enough to get a few and run a test with hot water and an air compressor.

edit to clarify I was running 80% food grade glycol in my water and water was still freezing in my mix tank. BRRRRRRRR it's cold up yonder!

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:35 am

OK...I gave up on the AN Fittings...

I switched them all out to Bronze NPT to Hose barb fittings and routed the 5/8" Tridentflex hose

I like how it turned out afterall

Just waiting on another order of 100% 316 SS hose clamps.
Attachments
cooling.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:23 pm

I took a bit of a break due to a few deaths in the family. My Grandma and Grandpa died 3 weeks apart. My Grandpa is probably why I am into building things. He built and flew an open cockpit biplane when he was around my age.

On a lighter side: I have got the engine to a point where it is ready to start and I'm going to attempt to light up up after work tomorrow.

I am excited but nervous; hope it goes well!

The wiring and fuel pump mount is just temporary for now for the test.
Attachments
plane.jpg
My Grandpa's Home Built Airplane
20180930_195755.jpg
motor ready to go.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:43 pm

Sorry to hear about the losses Jim. Always a hard thing to go through.

The engine is looking ready to go. The nervousness is par for the course. But one thing about these builds that is a fact is that regardless of the problem, there is a workable solution. Good luck.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Good news: She fired right up yesterday and runs like a champ!! Video here :D :D :D :D :D :D

The video is at ~2500RPM for the break in, got 0.4Hrs on it so far.
Oil pressure at ~30 PSI
Water temp at ~160 F (160 F thermostat installed)

Bad news: When I cranked it up to 4000 RPM for a second the alternator bracket started to vibrate pretty bad so I will have to beef it up a bit

Bad news: One small oil leak at the STBD valve cover (I think), will need to pull the exhaust manifold and seal it better.

Worse news: The velvet drive (71-C) is leaking when under pressure, looks like its from the seal at the coupler. :( :( :(
I cleaned out the breather, after the puddle, to ensure that its not plugged and it may have helped a bit. I think it was plugged before.
When I turn it off I can hear pressure escaping from the seal so that may be causing the leak, not sure that its supposed to be pressurized at the seal. Anyone an Velvet drive expert here?

Good News: Velvet Drive works in forward and reverse

Even Worse news: at 2500RPM the neutral is spinning in reverse. At lower revs it stops spinning so that is sorta good I guess.
The new ATF (Dextron 3) fluid got really dirty (rusty looking) so I flushed it a few times and added a bit of the trans sea foam and looks a lot better now. The dirty neutral seems a bit better but it still spins...

Looks like I will have have to lift the motor off of the mounts and pull the trans out and rebuild it. :( :( Unless anyone has a quicker fix :D
Attachments
GAUGES.jpg
leaks!.jpg
coupler.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:39 am

Hi Jim,

Looking good - nice to have it up and running! An oil leak or two is not the worst news that can happen on startup...so it seems like you've dodged a number of bullets. Unfortunately I don't have any advice on the velvet drive...I chose a jet because transmissions are scary :P :lol:

I do have a quick question about your plumbing. It looks like you're using a 4-port / bypass thermostat...with "tees" off the top legs? I might have missed it, but what are the "tees" for?

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Denon Osterman wrote:I do have a quick question about your plumbing. It looks like you're using a 4-port / bypass thermostat...with "tees" off the top legs? I might have missed it, but what are the "tees" for?
The water needs to come into the motor at two places, the block, and the top of the thermostat housing; the Tees facilitate that.

Why -
1. If it only went into the block: When the thermostat was closed the exhaust water could not exit the boat.
2. If it only went into the top of the thermostat: It would not go into the block to cool the engine when the thermostat is open.

Diagram
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:52 am

Ahh, now I see - the 'T's have just been moved from the block, to the thermostat housing. Makes sense - and apologies I didn't look a bit closer before asking!

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:13 pm

Tilted the motor up from the aft end only. Had to remove the Alternator and water pump because they would have hit the bulkhead.

Was tempted to pull the whole trans but I decided to just pull the coupler and the Bearing retainer. Had to use an impact wrench to get the nut off, and it worked like a champ.

I found that the coupler was severely pitted and I think this is why it was leaking. I also found a beat up gasket between the housing and the bearing retainer and it had gasket maker in there which I read is not needed per the manual.

I ordered a new coupler and a gasket kit. I also replaced the coupler sea. I was able to press that in with a vice with wood jaw inserts,instead of an arbor press (which I don't have).

After cleaning up the parts I primed and painted the applicable surfaces (not the seal interface and not the Coupler mating face.

Torqued the bearing retainer back on 55ft-lbs
Torqued the Coupler back on 80ft-lbs (used a strap wrench on the coupler to keep it from spinning). Wow was that a beast to torque. The spec is 80-200ft-lbs! I barely got it to 80ft-lbs...

Coupler cost $140 and the Gasket kit cost $50; got both on ebay.
Attachments
lift.jpg
Lifted up ready for surgery
couplers.jpg
New & Old
new coupler.jpg
New Coupler Installed
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

billy c

Post by billy c » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:28 pm

Jim-
much prettier :)
...that should make the difference. glad it was easy to swap out
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:50 pm

Thanks Billy!

I got the motor accessories put back on today (so much easier when all the parts are at hand :))

Fired her up and there was no transmission fluid leak! I am super happy about that!

I also fixed the starboard valve cover oil leak by reinstalling the valve cover and re-tightening it. It was a lot easier to get the bolts on before installing the exhaust manifolds.

The neutral is still "dirty" at higher RPMs but at idle its not turning so I think I am going to see if I can live with this to forgo a full rebuild for now.

The Holly Red Marine fuel pump is really noisy, anyone have a suggestion on a less noisy fuel pump or way to make it quieter?

Now I JUST need to:
1. Re-align the coupler to the shaft, oh Joy!
2. Wire it up properly and neatly
3. Fully Install the dash
4. Install the steering cable
5. Design and Fabricate Transmission Shifter linkage
6. Fabricate Throttle Linkage of of metal (currently temporary wooden piece)
7. Complete the mid-deck
8. Varnish the deck
9. Caulk the deck
10. Paint the Hull
11. Install hatches
12. Research/Buy/Install some sort of non-skid removable flooring
13. Fabricate/install Battery mount for Box, Battery
14. Build a Engine cover (research sound deadening materials)
15. Build/Install the Front Seat
16. Build/Install the Rear Seat
17. Install the Gas tanks
18. Mount the Fuel Pump
19. Plumb the fuel system
20. Rebuild Trailer
a. Sandblast
b. Replace rusty bits
c. Paint
d. Axles
e. Brakes
f. Wheels/tires
g. Tongue / Actuator
h. Bunks
i. Lights
j. Winch
21. Put the boat on the trailer
22. Install Accessories (Nav Lights, Horn, Anchor Light, Bilge Pump, Cleats, ski tow hooks, courtesy lights)
23. Install Rub Rail
24. Oil Change
25. Launch
26. Celebrate/Drink Beers
27. Design, fabricate/buy/Install Windshield
28. Make/install a new/beefier Alternator Mount
29. Research/buy/install Boat Cover
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:28 pm

That made me laugh! Step 26 should be sprinkled a bit more liberally, I think ;)

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:50 am

Jim, I have a ZF Hurth 1:1 transmission in my Gentry. I remember when I first started the motor after installing it in the boat without the shaft coupler hooked to the transmission coupler, the transmission coupler would spin some in neutral. Once I hooked everything up and put it in the water, it didn't spin at all in neutral. I don't remember for sure, but I think even out of the water with everything hooked up, it didn't spin either. I think it is normal to have a slight dirty neutral... I love following your progress... Neel

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:04 am

Even in neutral it's slinging a bunch of fluid around inside right? That could be causing the output to spin. Get a little mass on it and maybe that goes away.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:30 am

Matt is right, the fluid has some viscosity especially when cold, there is some drag that will spin the output shaft. I have two old outboards that do the same thing when i run them on the cuffs out of the water. When all together and in the water there is enough resistance to overcome the spin in neutral.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Power Boats”