16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Post by Milhouse » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Prime, sand, repeat. Oh man I'm sore! I have a new respect for painted hulls.

I think I am almost ready for the top coat.

I tried out Dry Guide Coat to help identify some low spots and it works really well.

The dry guide coat is graphite and it gets dusted on and then sanded off with a long block and tada low spots are revealed.
Attachments
guide coat.jpg
low spots.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:08 pm

I also fabricated the battery "box". It will be through bolted to a bulkhead under the seat.

I modeled in in CAD, CNC plasma Cut it out*, dimple died the cutouts*, and TIG welded it together (my first TIG welding project :D super fun and useful)

*Thanks to a friends home metal shop :)

I decided not to use a plastic box because the USCG Regs 183.420 do not require it; only that the terminals are covered and I found these really nice marine clamp covers at McMaster-Carr. I still need to find a nice rubber boot for the aux terminals. I am not sure if I will use the big fuse at the battery terminal or not yet...
To prevent accidental contact with the ungrounded battery terminal, it may be covered with a boot
or non-conductive shield. The battery could be installed in a covered battery box or special, fitted
compartment. (See Figure 14).
It still needs paint.

The bar that retains the battery is a HDPE I had made a metal onebut it freaked me out (a little too close to the terminals)
Attachments
tig.jpg
First TIG project
Battery box2.jpg
box version 1.jpg
Metal Bar version (not going to use this one) Only tacked in this pic.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:27 pm

Milhouse wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:50 pm
Matt - So no battery box then? Do you cover the terminals?

I may add a hold down feature as well so I can use the mount with or without the battery box.
I don't have anything covering the terminals. The battery is the only thing in that compartment though.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:46 am

Nice weld job Jim. Welding is something that I've wanted to learn for years but never seem to get around to. Depending upon what I end up spending on my trailer, I may get A chance then however.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Thanks Matt and Carl!

Well I put the top coat on today in "perfect conditions" and I screwed it up nicely; failure was an option.

I crafted a paint job with a ridiculous amount of orange peel :x Also a few sags and bugs that I will need to sand out.

I used "Flag Blue Perfection" from Interlux, so far 2 quarts at $78/quart :x

I tried both 2mm (siphon) and 1.4mm tip (gravity) spray guns

I read (afterwards...) in this thread that Perfection shall only be rolled and tipped and not sprayed however:

This Interlux Bulletin says "Perfection can be sprayed to an appearance that is as good as gelcoat"

This Interlux datasheet says "Brush, Roller, DO NOT SPRAY"

It looks like a lot more sanding is in order and then I will try to roll and tip it...

Does anyone have any experience with this? What did you do?
Attachments
paint front.jpg
paint side.jpg
orange peel.jpg
Orange peel or is it a Monet?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:55 am

Milhouse,
I overcame the orange peel problem this way:

Lightly RO sand off most of the orange peel, taking care not to expose the primer.
Mix a solution of half thinner and half paint.
Spray several thin coats with HVLP sprayer about 15 to 30 minutes apart (enough time for the thinner to evaporate on the surface, but before paint completely dries).
Wait for paint to cure.
Lightly RO sand with 300 grit pads
hand wet sand with 1000 grit, then 1200 grit, then 1500 grit paper wrapped around a foam sanding pad from the auto paints store.
Buffing compound with a 3000 RPM buffer
Polishing compound with same buffer.

Result: A professional looking mirror finish!

Paint used: Brightsides
Thinner used: Naptha

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:20 am

I agree with Locutus. I had the same problem with spraying varnish. Sand the orange peel until it is smooth. I feel that it is easier to see your progress using a random orbital sander. After you get it smooth, be sure that you put on a "wet coat" thinning the paint 50% with Naptha.
Look down the sides while you are spraying, you will see the orange peel disappear as you apply more paint. Be careful that you don't over do it and get a run or sag. Multiple thin coats are better than fewer thick ones. Sand between coats with 320 grit. The thing to keep in mind is that you are just getting the paint on with a smooth surface. You will be sanding the final coat up to finer grits and then buffing out with buffing compounds. ( I sanded up to 2000 grit)
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:29 am

And... then you're going to bump into the dock! :lol: And, someone will step on the deck.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:14 am

Locutus wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:55 am
Paint used: Brightsides
I think your method would work well with the one part Britesides but everywhere I read is that Perfection is a pain to spray.
Bill Edmundson wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:29 am
And... then you're going to bump into the dock! And, someone will step on the deck.
My wife agrees with you, she is is telling me "its good enough as is; its just a boat and she wants to use it"
Jimbob wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:20 am

The thing to keep in mind is that you are just getting the paint on with a smooth surface. You will be sanding the final coat up to finer grits and then buffing out with buffing compounds.
Per this post buffing Interlux perfection is a no-no. I guess it depends on the paint, what paint did you use Jim?

Thanks all, I think I just should have rolled and tipped it from everything that I read regarding "Perfection" paint. I'm going to give that a shot after I RO sand it a bit and see how it turns out. If that does not work I may switch to Britesides and spray it and buff it. It's just time and money right. :D :(
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:15 pm

Yikes ! I feel your pain ...
We've never had much success with the Interlux marine paints. The product is formulated for brush or roller application, so reduction for spraying is going to be critical.
yachtpaint.com wrote: Application conditions vary, and it is suggested that each individual applicator determine the amount of solvent and solvent type used
based upon requirements. When paint is setting fast, blends of Brushing Reducer 2333N and Spray Reducer 2316N solvents can be
used to get better wet out and after flow for a smoother coating free of orange peel. Initial 50% blends of Brushing Reducer 2333N
and 50% of Spray Reducer 2316N would be a good starting point. When spraying use enough solvent to reduce viscosity to
approximately 14-16 seconds on No. 2 Zahn Cup. Generally this will be about 35% to 40%.
Source : http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCen ... sa-eng.pdf Product Bulletin No 410
Having to wait 24 hours for a second coat is exposing you to more chemicals than you need.

We've had more consistent results with the single stage 2 part urethane automotive paints. 2 or three rounds 10-15 minutes apart, and as Ken would say, 'You're Done !'.

See our comments in this thread : ____________________
Paul Kane
Kane Custom Boats Ltd.
Chelsea, Quebec

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory

billy c

Post by billy c » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 am

Milhouse wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:14 am
Thanks all, I think I just should have rolled and tipped it from everything that I read regarding "Perfection" paint. I'm going to give that a shot after I RO sand it a bit and see how it turns out. If that does not work I may switch to Britesides and spray it and buff it. It's just time and money right. :D :(
I think you would be very pleased with the results rolling and tipping the Perfection product. As Paul said the automotive paint is a different formulation and is more friendly to apply by spraying, With either protect yourself from the hazardous materials you are applying with a proper respirator and suit.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:17 pm

Thanks for the insights Billy and Paul!

I have sanded off the orange peel with 320 grit using the RO sander.

I got the Interlux brushing reducer 2333N in the mail today and the appropriate rollers.

I will try a roll session tomorrow I think. I found a article online that says one can apply perfection with a roller only instead of tipping with a brush.
Attachments
sanded.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

sscobra

Post by sscobra » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:36 pm

I had good luck with the 2 part interlux paints. It is important to put it on very thin with the thin foam rollers. Only do a small section, say 2 or 3 feet wide. Follow that with light tipping with a foam brush, just using the very tip of the brush. Don't try to spread the paint with the foam brush, that is what the foam roller is for. All you want to do is pop any bubbles that are in the paint. Always tip into the previously painted section to maintain a wet edge. I ended up using 4 coats on the bottom of my Monaco in order to cover the primer I used. Good luck! Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi Skip - thank you for the Good tips:

Did you sand between coats? How long did you wait between coats?
sscobra wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:36 pm
I ended up using 4 coats on the bottom of my Monaco in order to cover the primer I used.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

kens

Post by kens » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:17 am

When spraying, orange peel is caused by 2 things; too thick paint, or, too low air pressure, or, both.
If you are comfortable spraying paint, then dump the marine paints and go get automotive spray paint.
There is so many names of paints nowadays, it becomes blurred what they are trying to sell you, and, what you want.
The best paint is one that does not dry by itself, (it requires a hardener), these when mixed will cure regardless if you seal it up in a can., best of all, they can be sanded and repaired rather quickly if need be.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Power Boats”