16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Postby Milhouse » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks Jimmy!

I got the last two bow planks on and now I'm long blocking it.....
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Trimmed the deck planking where it was overhanging the cockpit tonight, and although I did just recommend to Matt this task to be accomplished with my Festool sander, I decided to buy a new router bit for the task and it was AMAZING!!!! :D :D

Then I finished it off with the sander where the epoxy drips needed to be taken care of....Should have wiped it off better...

This bit was soooo worth the money, it cut like butter! No tear out at all and i was taking pretty wide passes. The Sapeli was only .140 thick though.

Whiteside Router Bits RFTD2100 1/4-Inch Cutting Diameter and Spiral Flush Trim Bit with Down Cut
Attachments
bit.jpg
bit.jpg (6.03 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
deck.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:24 am

Looks good Jim. How are you planning on finishing the edge. A crash pad? Or perhaps just a hardwood edge?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:43 am

I have no idea yet and I'm open to suggestions.

How does the upholstered crash pad get attached?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:06 am

Jim

I used wood. I don't plan on a crash. The band does need to be raised to help keep spray or rain out of the cockpit.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:45 am

How does the upholstered crash pad get attached?

The vinyl is stapled to the boat at the bottom of the opening, then wrapped around the half round foam and then stapled to the deck through what is called a hidem strip. You can get the half round crash pad foam at classic boat connection.

Here's a link for a youtube video on crash pad if you want to try it yourself. Anyway, the video will give you a good idea of how it is installed.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... aba88427c5

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:02 pm

Thanks Bill and Jim

Can you both send some pics of your setups so I can compare and contrast them?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

billy c

Postby billy c » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:01 am

Here is my installation post to Keith from an earlier thread. Hope it helps
Billy
billy c wrote:Keith- your build looks beautiful. glad you are trying the upholstery!
you can purchase the welt and hidem or make some (i have some pictures of that if you are making your own)
-Billy
measure down the thickness of your crashpad rubber and staple a piece of welt around cockpit edge.

staple a width of upholstery fabric along the inside welt edge. use plenty of staples so it can hold the pulling of the material

glue crashpad to surface using contact cement

pull material up and over the crashpad. make sure to work and ease corners by cutting extra material from the corners. a hair dryer or heat gun set to low will help ease the corners into place and eliminate wrinkles

cut off excess material

add hidem strip to cover your work and place hidem ends on your work and continue on to your other cockpits
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:36 am

Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:01 am

Thanks Bill and Billy for the pics!

I only have about 1/2" of thickness on the front lip and i dont want to mount anything to the dash so I probably wont use a crash pad. So it looks like I will need to either use a wood or metal strip. Still thinking about how I will do it but that is probably a few hurdles away.

This Saturday I went to the Lake arrowhead classic boat show which was great, I'll be uploading the pics soon.

I also started planking the rear deck on Sunday. The rear is narrower than the bow so I scaled the planks 80% so that there are almost an equal number of planks on the rear as there are up front. There will be 6 on each side of the king plank vs 7 up front. If I make 7 then they looked a bit too narrow.

I also found out my motor hatch is not centered (about 3/4" off to one side) so I need to figure out how I want to handle that so the planks don't look funny when I plank the center deck
Attachments
rear deck.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Completed the aft deck planking
Attachments
aft deck.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Looks good Jim. Have you thought about the stain colors yet?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Carl - I was thinking of leaving the deck natural with just neat epoxy / varnish. I'll try some test pieces out to see if I like it or not. I do appreciate the contrast between the king/covering boards and planks that we see on some of the other boats (e.g. speedracers).

I also have not decided on the seam filler. I am leaning toward to micro-balloons (west system 403 perhaps) in epoxy like Joshua did on his zip but I'm still on the fence because it seems like people also love the DAP option. I have read and re-read Bill's document and read the other forum posts regarding seam filling options. Any regrets on any of the options after some more time?

I have chosen Interlux Perfection Flag Blue for the hull color and just ordered it and the associated primer and filler and reducer $$$.

I also just posted here for ideas on how to get her off the trailer after being inspired by speedracers post on his trailer. I'm just worried that the fiberglass will turn into a taco if I do it as he did.

I am again at one of those, "what the heck should I do next" moments.

I think that epoxy encapsulating the deck seems the most prudent next step (unless as Carl mentioned that I decide to stain it).
Attachments
blue.jpg
Flag Blue = Future Hull color
caulk.jpg
White Epoxy Test: A small bubble left a small void
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:01 pm

I think my biggest concern with the "hard" seam fill options is that they do not give as the deck expands from heat. I don't have any personal experience with this as I have never owned a boat. But one that sets in the sun is going to get hot and the wood is going to expand. My personal feeling is that the original wooden boats were filled with a caulking agent not because epoxy wasn't available, but because caulking is a "soft" filler and has some give.

Now as I said, my personal experience with this is nil. There may be more to this, for example, if your deck is hard bonded to a subdeck, maybe the expansion is not as much. I really don't know. Like the bonding issue I am dealing with, not an easy subject to get to the bottom of! :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:22 pm

I would also think that thin veneers bonded to plywood substrate are going to be much more stable than the planks used in ye olden day.

Return to “Power Boats”