PT boats

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Flipper

PT boats

Postby Flipper » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:35 pm

Don't know much naval history, except when we're talking wood runabouts. Go to abm.org and check it out. The museum is absolutely awesome, but I would go August 4th for the annual acbs show. Most of the boats seem to nice to get wet. There are hundreds of boats and an auction in the morning on saturday. People travel literally from every state in America to show off their boats. Alan Jackson (the country music singer) had a boat custom built for him about 7 years ago and I read about it in Classic Boating. That year I saw his boat on display there. There are always the Hall Scott 2500 c.i. motor, the Rolls Royce Merlin (P-51 Mustang) 2500 c.i. motor, and the 2 or 3 different Packard 2500 c.i. motors (P-49) there. All V-12's from war service, then converted for marine service. The museum houses many one-of-a-kind Gold Cup race boats and boats we can read about in history books. Worth the time to visit. I've been there about 12 times in 9 years and I can't wait to go again.
-Flip
Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

J Patroni

Postby J Patroni » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:22 pm

Flip,

I see you are going to the Antique Boat Show in Clayton in August. I just returned to the 1000 Islands last Sept. for the first time in 40 years.
Vacationed on Wellsley Island for 10+ years as a kid. some stayed the same and much changed.

I have a room booked in Alex Bay for Friday thru Monday just to see the show this year. Can you tell me which is the best day to be there or are they all good days?

Jim in Cape May
If you don't build it now, You will regret it later! Already regreting it

Crackerbox Build
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee255/jtpatronimfg/

Checkmate Restoration
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee25 ... 0Starflite

ArtDeco

Re: PT boats

Postby ArtDeco » Wed May 02, 2007 12:05 pm

RobB wrote:When in Virginia recently I found several of these boats.

At the end of WWII, most of the deployed PT boats were destroyed (as you heard). Being located in former combat areas and much the worse for it (condition-wise) they were thought not to be worth the cost of returning them to the US of A. The US Navy had no mission role for them in a post-war Navy, but they were still technically combatants and the gov was not about to put them up for sale where "trouble-makers" could buy them. Friendly nations (including Russia at the time), were given those boats still in the production line. Thus the latest and greatest PTs went away too because the USN didn't want them.

The point I'm trying to get at is that few US PT boats were left here after WWII. And very few of those ended up in private hands. That's why (IMHO) they are rare here today.

So I'm wondering if what you saw were actually PT boats built by Elco or Higgins (and a few from Huckins). It is more likely you saw ex-CRASH boats. That's a slang term for a class of small craft built during WWII (as patrol boats = PTCs) and into the 1950s as Aviation Rescue Boats for the US Air Force. These boats which looked a lot like PTs were called ARBs, ASRs, AVRs, and other names. The most common versions were 63 ft and 85 feet long. After being surplused, many of them found their way into various private and commercial uses, particularly the 63ft version which was adaptable to many jobs. Their two packard V12 gas engines were replaced with surplus GM 6-71 or 8V-71 diesels for much better operating costs (tho they were not as fast).

ASR 85 ft: http://www.warboats.org/crashboat.htm#clark

AVR 63 ft: http://nobadlie.tripod.com/

During the 1960s, I spent a time on 3 different 63 ft AVRs. Two commercial sport (SCUBA) boats and one yacht conversion. I also had a chance to tour one of the 85 footers converted to a long range commercial fishing boat. These boats handled well and looked like they were planning just sitting still. With the GM diesels, top speed was limited to 12 knots (6-71) and 15-16 knots (8V-71). They were very well-built (planked hulls not plywood, and with steel watertight bulkheads). They didn't cost any more to operate and maintain than any other large diesel powered yacht of the period. A really classy boat IMHO. A few of them are still around if you have the money and the desire for an ex-war boat.

-AD :wink:

RobB

Very Nice

Postby RobB » Thu May 03, 2007 4:44 pm

:o That was very informative thanks. I was looking at the profiles, and while several may have been the class you described I know one was a PT because it still had its designation painted on the side. I REALLY wish I had paid more attention to the actual number. I'll call my sister in law and see if I can get her to go take a pic of it.
So where can one find these surplus rescue boats, and just how much do you think they would run. The lines are very similar to the PT, I could be very happy with one of those babies under my feet. :D
Thanks again for the info I love learning about this kind of stuff :!:
If you don't start heading that way today, tommorrow you won't be any closer to your destination.

Return to “Power Boats”