INSTALLING AN OUTBOARD REFERENCE ?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

watkibe

INSTALLING AN OUTBOARD REFERENCE ?

Postby watkibe » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:19 am

Can anyone recommend a book or web resource on the general topic of installing an outboard motor on a new boat ? I haven't found anything. I have Glen's book on inboard installations, but it's not what I need. I've clamped a pull-start, tiller steered engine on a transom before, of course; I'm talking about what's involved in remote steering, starting, and remote throttle and shifting ("clutch").
I will appreciate your replies.
Thanks !
Bruce
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

Roberta

Re: INSTALLING AN OUTBOARD REFERENCE ?

Postby Roberta » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:44 am

Usually you can find this information on the motor manufacturer website. They often have the manuals available to download for free.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:00 am

Bruce

Also, a new engine, above a certain HP, may have to be installed by a dealer for the warranty to be valid. I don't know if 40 hp reaches that limit.

BTW: The Yamaha 40 hp 4 stroke is 214 pounds.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:04 pm

I don't know of a particular reference book for the topic.

I think checking manufacturers installation information, usually available on their site, would be a good thing

Here's what I think I know of the topics and maybe it'll help you refine your search parameters a little more to find what you want.

Remote steering can accomplished in a few different ways:

Push/Pull cables can be routed from the steering wheel all the way back to the tiller. You use pulleys to make directional changes in the cable as it routes to the tiller.

Hydraulic steering uses hydraulic fluid pressure to operate a ram or two which moves the tiller. Hoses are routed from the steering wheel all the way back to the rams.

Combination Electric/Hydraulic uses an electrical signal from the steering wheel to a little computer that operates the hydraulic ram/s.

Remote throttle and clutch

There are a couple ways to accomplish a remote throttle.

Another push/pull cable can be used between the engine and the aftermarket throttle. There are multiple configurations but the most commonly used is a dual function where you attach both the throttle and the transmission cable to a single throttle assembly.

There are electric throttles and transmissions but that's about all I know at this point as i've been reading up on this a little here and there.

Remote start

Not sure what info you need on this. As long as the engine is capable it's pretty straight forward.
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:11 pm

Tel-Flex has a push/pull single cable steering system which works well in this power range. It is simple to install.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:59 pm

THANKS TO ALL WHO KINDLY REPLIED !
I haven't decided on a motor yet; I assumed each manufacturer would have specific instructions. However, as I build the aft end of the boat, I don't want to make dumb mistakes that would cause a nuisance to correct for any motor.
I am tending towards a 4 stroke design, and Honda has an excellent reputation in all their non-marine product lines, so I am thinking about Honda. I noticed that they make a 40 HP jet motor. We have some interesting estuaries and rivers in our area of Puget Sound, which the jet might make easier to explore.
Do you have an outboard brand loyalty based on experience ? Let me know ! And comments on the jet motor idea ?

Thanks again to all !
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:34 am

Bruce

Down here along the Gulf coast Yamaha has a really BIG presence. But, Suzuki is coming on strong. I was told that in salt water Honda is great at first. But, they start having problems with the lower unit after a few years.

It talked to a mechanic in Belize. He said that nobody takes care of their engines down there. I asked him what to buy. He said for 4 stroke, Yamaha. For 2 stoke E-Tec. He said that he really liked the E-Tec.

Look around and see which brand has the best availability for maintenance.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:43 am

As it relates to outboard choices, make sure you have a good dealer network in your area for the chosen brand. FWIW I used a Honda for a brief amount of time and had some serious issues at around 25 hours. I broke it in correctly and rarely ran it over 3/4s of the max rpm, because the boat ran just fine at that speed.

Commercial guys gets thousands of hours from them. I dealt with Honda and their warranty department, or its called Custom Relations department after failed attempts by the only local dealer that I purchased it for hundreds of miles worked on it for six times. Well they never fixed it and I ask them to give me a new engine.

They said no and I would have to send it back once again to the regional outlet in Atlanta after getting it back from the first trip. I ended up getting them to credit me the price towards a bigger one, having to pay the difference so that I could get a running engine. I sold the new one and went back to the Suzuki, which I am happy with. And jet drive outboards are heavier than the standard prop leg. So plan accordingly. Also the jet units will suck up mud and sand in the shallow waters. So keep this in mind as it relates to maintainance.

Return to “Power Boats”