best design for relaxed cruising

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Redhawk

best design for relaxed cruising

Postby Redhawk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:06 am

Hi,

Just beginning to consider the boat I want to build. I will be using it on about a 900 acre lake with a fair amount of traffic. I would like to hear from you all on what design is best to cruise around at ten to fifteen mph with a minimum of bow rise without getting on plane. I am retiring and want to enjoy the experience of slow cruising with four passsengers.

Thanks so much.

Mike Robinson

Re: best design for relaxed cruising

Postby 283 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:25 pm

How about a mini tug... bo jest?
Mike

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Mike

What size range? Inboard or outboard? Where are you located?

Any of the inboard mahoganies might be a good choice. They don't rare up they run flat. To run where your talking about they would probably only require 50- 70HP.

In the 20' range you might look at the Party Boat. Says it will do about 20mph on 50HP and 15mph on 30HP.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:44 pm

15 ft Overnighter. Or the LoVoltage maybe?

Redhawk

Postby Redhawk » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks for the advice. How do the Zip or Malahini do with regards to bow rise? Either boat seems to be appropriate for my skill level.

Mike Robinson

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:32 pm

Zip will rise a little more than the Malahini but they both flatten nearly completely out on plane. They both will do about the same speed off plane before starting to rise. If you havent seen the two side by side the Malahini is significantly wider in beam than a Zip.

The real question to ask when deciding between a Zip and Malahini is how many people you plan to take along. For two adults and the occasional 3rd the Zip is great. 600lbs or less in passengers is a good number to stay below for optimum performance. My Zip takes 7/8 throttle to plane with 4 adults (720lbs) onboard on 40hp. Ive ridden in a Malahini with 5 adults onboard and it did great with a 75hp outboard. So just be honest with yourself on how many people you plan to usually ride with.

If you will regularly be taking 3 people or more I would build the Malahini. Other than motor costs they both cost about the same to build and the same amount of time. On the other hand the Zip is perfect for my wife and I and our one child, 350 lbs total.

Return to “Power Boats”