V-Dory frames plan

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

teddyp

V-Dory frames plan

Postby teddyp » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:03 pm

I am currently setting up the frames of my V-Dory and noticed that in the plan the setup level of frame #8 brings the top of the bottom frame higher than frame #7 by 1/4 inch. I rechecked this in the plan thrice. Is this correct or should I make it level. Also there is something wrong with frame #9 drawing in the plan. If I followed it correctly I will need more than 4 inches wide frame ( the plan calls for 3-1/2" width). Is this the case or the centerline is not straight in relation to the setup level. Thanks for any clarification.[/b]

John K

Postby John K » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:19 am

brings the top of the bottom frame higher than frame #7 by 1/4 inch

I am not familiar with the V dory plans, but many of the designs have this to reduce the possibility of the boat porposing in the water. My flying saucer has a slight curve just like this.

If I followed it correctly I will need more than 4 inches wide frame

The frame set up for level is not the sidth of the frame, just a reference on the drawing for the baseline of the frames. There usually is a drawing referring to the set up level and baseline measurements.

basilkies

Postby basilkies » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:19 pm

John K could be right. I remember having a heck of a time dealing with the 8th frame. I think I ended up setting it how I liked it by making it go with the slope to the next frame. As I recall this created issues at the same frame at the top of the boat (up right boat).

Anyway, my boat doesn't porpoise and I've had it doing 33 mph on a river, in the ocean and in a bay. I don't think porpoising is as big of an issue on such a large flat bottomed boat. But, then if you think about it, it doesn't make much difference how that part of the bottom sets. It will be up out of the wate on plane.

The real pain is the transom. I've heard a several people claim that somehow the right side of the transom (standing rear looking forward, boat upside down) was low when they finished mounting it. I had the same experience and ended up filling it with glass cloth and epoxy to about 18 inches forward.
It probably has something to do with that 8th frame :roll: I knew I should have left it out :wink:

teddyp

V-Dory frames plan

Postby teddyp » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:43 pm

Thanks John K and basilkies for your responses. I actually did what basilkies did and just set top of 8th bottom frame level with 7th and checked the 8th side frame vs. the 7th which seems ok.
I will watch out for the transom as you suggested. As of now it is level with frame #1 to#6.

Return to “Power Boats”