Lengthen the overnighter

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

lakecat

Lengthen the overnighter

Post by lakecat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:34 pm

So folks, do you think it's possible to lengthen an overnighter? I'm really in love with the retro design but at 16 feet loa, it's just a little too small and I'm thinking a little cuddy cabin would be great for a few nights in the boat. The design specs say no extending it, but I'm wondering if we could beef up the framing to make it work. Something in the 17.5' range seems like it would be about perfect as a really great all around boat for our family.

The cuddy seems very useful to me more for storage of water toys and a head than for sleeping but the ability to camp out for a night seems magical while still having a nice little day boat.

The other option might be too redesign a sea Knight deck to give a similar look.

DSR

Re: Lengthen the overnighter

Post by DSR » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi Lakecat,

From what I understand, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, some of the designs were limited from being extended because the design is pretty much at it's safe upper limits structurally.
Unless you're a naval architect, or very familiar with the balances, stresses and the hydrodynamics involved with building a boat outside the design limits imposed by the original designer, it's definitely not recommended. It's also a ton of extra work if you do decide to go that route.

Your thoughts on building the Sea Knight (which coincidentally can be stretched 10%) and designing and building the deck and interior to suit your needs, would be a much easier and more direct route to get what you want out of your boat.

Thanks,
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Lakecat

I think Dave is right. I'd go with the Seaknight without the cabin. Rory Hamilton, Darth Plywood, can talk to you. He has knowledge about this design with and without the cabin.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

lakecat

Post by lakecat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:19 am

Or would a Geronimo work as well? Any advice on how useful a cuddy really is? I'd be mostly on Illinois and Wisconsin lakes, and I don't know if any of these boats would really be safe on lake Michigan. My other option is a bow rider and I think the Geronimo would be perfect for that.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:52 am

The Geronimo sounds like a good option for you. I don't see the cuddy as very useful. It ends up being a place to just throw life jackets and maybe an ice chest.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

JoeM

Post by JoeM » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:16 am

lakecat wrote:So folks, do you think it's possible to lengthen an overnighter? I'm really in love with the retro design but at 16 feet loa, it's just a little too small and I'm thinking a little cuddy cabin would be great for a few nights in the boat. The design specs say no extending it, but I'm wondering if we could beef up the framing to make it work. Something in the 17.5' range seems like it would be about perfect as a really great all around boat for our family.

The cuddy seems very useful to me more for storage of water toys and a head than for sleeping but the ability to camp out for a night seems magical while still having a nice little day boat.

The other option might be too redesign a sea Knight deck to give a similar look.
As others have said, some designs are already stretched to their limits and would require a lot of study and elbow grease to make it work. With that said, you can do it, but I would personally be consulting with a Naval Architect to make sure things are good before you begin construction.

Taking a design and changing the Topsides is a much easier proposition, provided you keep weight distribution and balance in mind. So with everything else being equal I would say do the Sea Knight or Geronimo and reconfigure to your needs. Oh and if I remember correctly the Geronimo is not a bowrider, more of a runabout.

But I don't really know which design is best for you as I need more information to give my best recommendation.

1. Are you planning on fishing, pulling skiers, or just cruising?
2. How many nights are you thinking of camping in the boat?
3. Sleeping at anchor, beaching it nightly, or tying up at a slip?
4. How many people, and ages in the boat at a time?
5. What type of amenities are REQUIRED and what are WANTED? (toilet, shower, fridge/cooler, etc.)

Like Bill said, a cuddy can be useful but unless you have a reason for it the cuddy ends up being simply a storage place which cuts down on deck space. Maybe that's not a problem for you, but I don't know.

I also don't know your operating area much at all so will defer to others on the design implications for your area. I assume Lake Michigan waters can be somewhat similar to ocean/bay waters with such a long fetch for the wind to work on. If so, I personally would be a little hesitant to use a bowrider, as taking a swell over the bow can swamp the boat. That can happen because depending on different variables(swell size/shape/period, speed, hull shape, etc.), you'll either cut through the swell or float over it.
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

gap998

Post by gap998 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:47 pm

I was proposing to stretch an Overniter to 18', (See Super Overniter thread) - I checked with Gayle, and she said the recommendation not to stretch it was not a structural issue, but rather the complications of the raised sheer for a beginner; Ove Pederson stretched his 200mm (just under 8"). It's not a very tall cuddy though, so a head would be fairy uncomfortable.

I have restrictions on beam due to the UK canal system, but if you don't, like others have said go for a bigger boat and add the cuddy - It'd be much simpler & more useful in the end.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm fairly certain the Geronimo and Sea Knight are the same hull.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Power Boats”