GERONIMO's progress report

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

GERONIMO's progress report

Postby bobinpowayca » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:49 pm

Well, I'm getting close to finishing my Geronimo (to be named Agatha), it has taken me five years, quite a while for a 16 foot boat when you consider Henry Kaiser was making cargo ships, in some instances in record times of less than one week, during WWII! These were called "Liberty ships", thousands were built during the war. I actually served on one for a while in the late 60's, it was the last reciprocating steam ship in the Navy and was used as a platform for chemical and biological tests :mrgreen: (enough said). Tramp steamer .
Monday morning I am trailering her down to the Evinrude dealer to have my new 90hp e-tec installed; for the warranty it must be dealer installed.
When I bring it back what I have left to do is the windshield, seating and a floor over the bilge. I have the windshield brackets from Lake Erie castings. They are cast aluminum - I had them triple chrome plated. Chrome plating shops are very scarce in California, this guy did an outstanding job if anyone is interested. I'll be asking for help on the forum when I install them. It's just been me building the boat but really I've had a lot of help from this forum and Glen-L.
I spent a lot of time on the flooring - I did pour-in-place foam under all the floor except for the bilge. It was worth the time . I was thinking how easy it was to drill thru 3/8 plywood while I was mounting the cleats and lights on the deck- and how the boat's hull is the very same 3/8 marine ply. And thinking how easy it would be to poke a big hole in the hull if you hit a rock.. Bob
Attachments
IMG_1257.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1254.JPG
Bob

Hercdrvr

Re: GERONIMO's progress report

Postby Hercdrvr » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:27 pm

Very nice looking Geronimo. A 90 hp should push her along about 40 mph, fun times ahead in your boat. Thanks for sharing your progress.
Matt B

DSR

Postby DSR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:09 am

Hi Bob,

Your Geronimo looks outstanding and you should feel really proud with what you've accomplished!

Nicely done!! :D
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:26 am

Congratulations on getting this far, your Geronimo looks great. I like the colors, and the bright work sets it off nicely.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Looks Great!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:32 pm

Hello Bob, she looks great! Congratulations on the build. I am sure it is quite satisfying finally getting to this point. I'd be interested in your impressions on the ETEC 90 once you start wringing her out. Good luck with everything and looking forward to some action shots.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:50 pm

Looks great!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Wow that looks really nice, Bob!

Return to “Power Boats”