MI Malahini questions

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

footer

MI Malahini questions

Postby footer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:49 pm

OK, there is a lot of stress about how straight and flat the bottom has to be. So now im a bit concerned.
When the batten next to the keel is drawn down on the 4th frame, it bows up slightly between the 3rd and 2nd frame. Is this a problem? How do I correct it? Did I do something wrong?

vupilot

Re: MI Malahini questions

Postby vupilot » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Should work out when you put the bottom planking on. If its stiff enough it wont lay down with the planking in place I would just fair it before installing the bottom planking.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:08 pm

Shoot us a picture. Is the batten laying flat and relaxed on the frames or are you pulling it down forward of frame 4 in preparation for the bottom planking? If you’re torquing it down it might cause it to bow up aft like the keel does aft of the stem. In the picture I’m torquing down the batten with a long clamp.
Either way, like Chris said, the fairing process should fix it.
Matt B
Attachments
6D741BA1-CA0C-4186-8688-4C2569989FEE.jpeg

footer

Postby footer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 am

Thanks for the info. Kind of what I thought. It's perfectly straight until I drew it down to frame four. Then it bowed up just a bit between frame 2 and 3. I was just afraid if I faired it, it would make the Batten thinner and weaker and maybe it would bow up more. Or if I tried to force it down with the ply, I would end up with a bulge in the bottom.
So, I will give fairing it a try.
Thanks again guys.
Tom

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:55 am

Not a problem, I would expect that batten to bow between frames 2 and 3 when you pull it down to 4, because frame 3 is a fixed point and the batten is bending there. The bottom plywood is relatively stiff and will push the battens back a bit between frames, this is ok too. When you are fairing the frames and battens, be sure to use a strip of 3/8 plywood as a batten across the hull to check your progress. Realistically there should not be much material removed from the battens, most fairing involves the rest of the structure: frames and transom edges, stem, keel, chines and sheers.
Good luck, post pictures and most of all have fun!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Power Boats”