Console skiff - Adding Optional Bulwarks

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

nkalson

Console skiff - Adding Optional Bulwarks

Postby nkalson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:10 pm

I am taking over a project boat, a console skiff, and it is mostly done. The previous owner opted to not put on the optional bulwarks. I would like to add them. The boat already has the inner sheer on. I am wondering if anyone has added the bulwarks or can foresee problems I might have.
Thanks,
NK

fishyskiff

Re: Console skiff - Adding Optional Bulwarks

Postby fishyskiff » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:58 am

The inner sheer will not interfere with the additional sides.

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:12 pm

The lower sheer is actually what makes it possible to screw the bulwark in place. You need to screw it in place even if you are epoxying it. The side and the bulwark are both 1/4" plywood, which isn't really thick enough to hold the screws. The 1 by 1 1/2 lower sheer provides the "meat needed.
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:15 am

:D I put bulwarks on my Bo-Jest project.the clearance between top board and cabin side was too narrow I thought(I pictured myself getting my foot hooked in it as I walked around cabin) so I enclosed tops on back 3/4's(left front open for ventalation scoops) :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

fishyskiff

Postby fishyskiff » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:28 am

watkibe wrote:The lower sheer is actually what makes it possible to screw the bulwark in place. You need to screw it in place even if you are epoxying it. The side and the bulwark are both 1/4" plywood, which isn't really thick enough to hold the screws. The 1 by 1 1/2 lower sheer provides the "meat needed.

1/4"? I used 3/8" plywood on all of mine and we had plenty of bite without the lower sheer.

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Yes, you are right, I misspoke: the sides and the bulwark are 3/8". Mine are actually 9mm because I used okoume marine plywood, which is French. I am almost to the point of adding the bulwarks, so perhaps I spoke out of turn. Still, I did answer his question: the lower sheer won't prevent adding the bulwark.
If Glen designed it with the lower sheer, I will trust his design and build it the way he designed it. This is the fourth boat I have built to his plans, and he has always been right so far. I think the boat will benefit from the stiffness of the lower sheer.

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:42 pm

ALSO:
I am building the Cabin Skiff, which is close, but not quite exactly like the Console Skiff under discussion. The Cabin Skiff needs the lower sheer in order to provide a landing for the side and forward decks. The Console Skiff has no side decks, although I notice that fishyskiff has added some nice side decks at the upper sheer. Good job there !

Return to “Power Boats”