GERONIMO'S windshield

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

GERONIMO'S windshield

Post by bobinpowayca » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Howdy folks, well I'm getting closer to finishing my Geronimo. I know many of you have built windshields using brackets like these (this is where I got the idea, Bob Brandenstein's Malahini build) and I would like to hear how some of you did it.
So I got the Lake Shore cast aluminum brackets and had them polished and triple chrome plated, $220, I'd say an excellent job; he is a one man plating shop but his chrome tank can only do up to a 30" part. I would be glad to recommend him. Also I got the windshield rubber and windshield gasket for the sides from Classic Boat. And I found a local glass shop that can order custom cut 1/4" tempered glass, even with ears, if I provide the pattern. But I have no references for where to position the side brackets and center post relative to my dashboard.
So I set the brackets on my boat and here's my plan for placing them, shown in the attached picture:
I set the side bracket forward enough so it's rear foot lined up with the dash, and angled in enough so that it's feet were in line with the curvature of the hull; and in as far as the inside of the toe rail. Same for the other side of course. Now I think in this position the slots in these side brackets will allow for the window panes to angle forward just enough to make a mild "V". Anyway, given the length of the pane relative to the depth of the slot, and the fact that it's in a rubber gasket, there's a lot of wiggle room. Then, once the brackets are all at the right positions and screwed in, start making the patterns then templates. Easier to do when the brackets and center post are fixed in position and screwed down.
Anyone have a way you did it you'd like to share? Thanks, Bob
Bob

bobinpowayca

Re: GERONIMO'S windshield

Post by bobinpowayca » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:14 pm

whoops, something screwed up and the picture didn't attach - I'll try again
Attachments
IMG_1266.JPG
Bob

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:39 am

I too copied Bob Brandenstiens windshield. I made a 1/4 plywood template for each side, the arch of my deck isn’t perfectly symmetrical. Put the time into making your templates follow the arch of the deck smoothly. Any resistance to fit the plywood template into position will be only be harder with the glass. As to your question about position, I’d say mount it where ever it looks best on your boat.
The bugger for me was the side brackets are significantly lower than the center bracket so when the glass was inserted it caused the center bracket base to be at the wrong angle to mount flush to the deck. I had to change the angle of the base. The plywood template can twist and flex but the glass won’t.
So far tempered glass has held up well, there have been times I cringed when my kids were grabbing the glass to pull themselves onto the front deck.
I hope this helped and your boat looks beautiful, congratulations!
Matt B
Attachments
B4C02C72-6BA5-4F0E-A91F-0765D6DA2574.jpeg
9C9E0AA4-8729-4165-B934-26D3BA6C38FB.jpeg
BB9F4E86-75C8-4F24-BF94-B5E5A0F1219B.jpeg

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:20 am

Bob, those brackets look great. If it were me I might not have them so far outboard of the coamings. It will still look good either way though.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:44 am

Hi Bob,
I recently made my templates for the windshields. You can see them on page 10 of "neeley's barrelback sacramento" link by my name below. The outer brackets won't be attached until I get the glass. ( I don't want any problems at installation, so I will put the glass into the fixed center brackets, and then push the outer brackets into place, and finally attach them.) I think you might be looking for trouble if you screw the outer brackets down now.

Below is how I made my templates.

First I determined how far the center bracket would be from the dash. As I recall, it came out to about 9 to 10 inches from the rear of the bracket. You will want to figure out where the top of the glass will end up in relation to the dash. I studied pictures of classic boats to determine how far out from the dash. (pictures of classic boats are somewhere around page 10 on my build site.) I then screwed down the center backet onto the deck so It would not move around when figuring out the templates, and placement of the outer brackets.

Next, I positioned the outer brackets (not screwing down) following the angles on the inside of the brackets to determine where they would line up. I once again I studied pictures of classic boats to determine where they should end up in relation to the crash pads and placement on the coverboards.

I cut narrow strips of 1/4 left over okuma plywood (nice and flat) to determine the length between brackets and the angles at each end. I clamped everything in place and marked the bottom of the plywood strip to get the curve on the bottom of the template next to the deck. I used that narrow strip to make the final templates and then worked on the top curve of the template.

Lots of fitting and adjusting to make the final templates. Check your bottom curve with the bottom windshield gasket. You don't want any gaps. I cut pieces of the gasket and checked at different points. Picture of the narrow strip I used below.

Hope this wordy explanation helps.
Jim
Attachments
20171203_120303.jpg
20171203_120350.jpg
More adjusting was necessary to bring down the bottom edge closer to the deck.
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:55 pm

Matt and Jim, thanks a lot for the advice and the pictures - you both have really nice boats. I have another question for you guys. When you traced out the curvature of the dash on the bottom of the plywood - what did you cut that with - I don't have a bandsaw so I'll be using my sabre saw then finishing it up with the spindle sander. Also, did you cut this perpendicularly or did you bevel the cut to try and match the angle of the dash? Which means did you have the bottom of your panes cut at a bevel or square?
ps, guess that's a stupid question since I've got the windshield gasket it doesn't matter! bob
Bob

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Matt, how did you change the angle on the center post, I'm thinking putting the base on a belt sander? These don't sit on the deck flush anyway, I'll probably have to sand flat spots then touch up the paint. Bob
Bob

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Well, I know where I want to put the brackets but have a couple more issues.
I went to get 1/4" plywood at the big store and guess what it's not exactly .25 inch, it's marked .234" which would be fine except I brought the side bracket along and even .234 does not fit into the channel, it's just a little too thick.
So, I guess my brackets' channels are just a little bit LESS than a 1/4 inch. I don't have an inside caliper to measure the actual gap - I don't know if it is from the plating, I didn't check it to plywood first, but I do know that the plating thickness is maybe only a couple of thousandths of an inch at most.
Hmmm, so first I'll check with the glass company to see what thicknesses are available, maybe with all the weird thicknesses plywood comes in nowadays, or a metric thickness, I'll luck out and find glass that'll fit. Or if all glass is actually 1/4 inch looks like I'll have to have these pieces machined out. :( Also check with lakeshore castings on what it should be from their foundry. Maybe I'm missing something.
Oh yeah I have this other concern which may or may not be an issue - as you can see in the attached picture, when I fit the front and rear posts together and put the bolts in, they don't line up - i.e., looking at the bases they look like they don't land on the same surface, they're "stepped". Also these bolts are not long enough if you put a 1/4" gap between the posts, you can't get them started which also makes me think these brackets were meant for something less than 1/4" thick panes.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated :D bob
Bob

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:27 pm

again, for some reason the picture didn't make it in the above :!: :!:
Attachments
IMG_1268.JPG
IMG_1267.JPG
Bob

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Bob, I left the templates squared off on the bottom. Like you said the gasket will take care of the non-bevel. You might want to cut some 1 to 2 inch pieces from your gasket just to test. Here's my thought about the tight slots in brackets. Take them to the glass shop and see if they can put a slight bevel on the glass where they fit into the brackets. You might also talk to the plating guy to see what would happen to his plating if you have the slots machined out. I just made a glass topped coffee table that the glass shop will put a bevel on the outside edges, so I think it can be done on a smaller scale. On the stepped bottom of the brackets, I think I would make a shim to fit in the stepped up portion so that the bottom of the brackets will be even. I made shims for my exhaust tips. You can see them somewhere on my build postings. I also made shims that will go behind my rub rails that will set the rub rails 1/8 inch away from the hull. Both shims are painted black. You don't really see them on the rub rails, they look like a shadow next to the shiny metal.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:12 am

Yep, the screws on my center bracket weren’t long enough either when I sandwiched the glass in. I actually drilled larger bore holes and re-cut the threads for longer screws.
As to cutting the bottom edge of the glass to lay flat on the deck, I shaped it and told the glass company about the angle but they cut it at a 90 anyway, no big deal though, the rubber gasket took care of it.
I can’t remember exactly how I changed the angle of the base of the center bracket. Knowing me, I used the side of the grinding wheel (improper use of tool).
Your brackets are very bright, look great. Mine are only so so .
Keep us posted,
Matt B

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks again guys. Tomorrow I'll check with the glass shop to see if they can grind the ends of the glass, or a machine shop that can mill out the slots more. I'm not worried about the plating flaking along the cut, maybe if it were electroless nickel or a coating but not triple chrome. Any disadvantage to milling out the side slots all the way to the end so you don't have to have "ears" on the ends of the panes, and maybe bring them up an inch or so? Bob
Bob

Return to “Power Boats”