Monaco Build Update - 04/25

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BruceDow

Monaco Build Update - 04/25

Postby BruceDow » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:32 am

Hi all.

The broken ankle has been getting better, and the weather is warmer, so I've been able to get back to the garage.

I have now finished with the final layer of mahogany, and have it all sanded to 180 grit.

I'm getting ready to:
- bore the shaft hole
- stain the hull (I'm currently making some test sheets)
- sheath the hull
- paint the bottom

Am I being optimistic? Or is the "flip" in sight?

Check the link in my sig line for the latest...
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Lewis Barrett

Postby Lewis Barrett » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:16 am

Well done! 8) I'm still trailing you by a few weeks.

I too miscalculated the amount of material I would need for the final layer...well sort of, one of the boards I was planning on using was not a close enough match after I ripped it up, so I decided not to use it. I used some of it below the waterline, but I still need to get another board that matches better. I just didn't have any luck finding enough from the same tree. I'm planning on making another lumber run next week.

I would be curious to know how your stain tests turn out.

David

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:55 pm

hi Bruce-
Great to see the progress you have made in spite of your ankle injury! You were just gluing a few strakes down when that happened... I bought a few colors of dye from woodcraft supply (even though it isnt uv resistant) to test as i wanted a water base solution under the epoxy. Not sure i trust the oil base even though west system lists some of them as good adhesion after complete drying. so i will compare notes with you and David on this. Are you planning on cloth on the topsides or just epoxy? Looks like you will be doing some sea trials this year :)
-Billy

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:05 pm

Bruce,

Looks great, from here on out it will look better and better after each step is completed. Whats your plan for turning the hull?

Rich

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:26 am

Billy and David...

Here's my "stain status"...

Guided by Mark Bronkalla's site, I went to the West System site to find a stain that passed their adhesion tests.

The easiest for me to get my hands on is the Minwax water-based, so that's what I'm using.

Remember that one of my goals is to even out a colour difference between two boards that I used for the veneers. Unfortunately, I didn't get the second board early enough to spread out the lighter planks, so they are all in one place.

I am also looking for a traditional "Muskoka" look, which has a deeper brown colour.

In the linked photo, you'll see four 6" x 12" test sheets. Each one has:
- a light plank beside a dark plank
- been sanded to 180G with the ROS
- been laid up with 6 oz. cloth and fill coats of West System epoxy.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?UAUTOLOGIN_ID=99234084311&collid=99234084311.258753850111.1177693685113&photoid=696683070111&folderid=0&view=1&page=1&sort_order=&albumsperpage=&navfolderid=2007

Here are the differences (left to right)
- Epoxy on natural mahogany
- Epoxy on one coat of Minwax water-based "Rosewood"
- Epoxy on one coat of Minwax water-based "American Walnut"
- Epoxy on two coats of Minwax water-based "American Walnut".

I am leaning towards two (maybe more) coats of American Walnut.

I realize that sanding and varnishing will change this colour further, but that is the general appearance I'm going for.

There's one coat of stain on the boat alrady, so there's no turnin' back now.
Bruce.

~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:48 am

Rich.

Here's my thinking for "the turn"... It is pretty much inspired by your photos.

Because I am working in very tight quarters in my garage at home, I cannot put the boat on a trailer until I'm ready to move it up to the lake.

I will be building a movable dolly (similar to yours) for the upright portion of the build.

So... my current thinking is:

- design and build the dolly (allowing appropriate passage for the engine hoist, fin, shaft, etc.).
- Put the dolly on the upside down hull
- Build a "roll cage" and temporarily screw to the dolly (inspired by the pictures of your flip).
- Strap everything down tightly
- Get some buddies (I'm thinking about six or eight)
- Prop up the hull and partially dismantle the current movable building form
- roll the hull over the roll cages, landing on the upright dolly.
- Remove the temporary roll cage from the upright dolly.
- voila!

Will it work? I don't see wheels on your rolling jig. Were your rolling jig and upright dolly different versions of the same thing? Or were they two separate fixtures?

Did you have a sense of how much your hull weighed at the turn? How many people did you need to help?

The alternative is to do as Bill E. did... a series of slings and pullies hanging from the joists. My only barrier to that is that the garage ceiling is drywalled, and I'm too lazy to take all that down.
Bruce.

Dow's Monaco Project

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:38 pm

Bruce,

What your planning sounds just like what I did. The dolly for the roll and after it was upright was the same dolly, I just put the wheels on after it was turned. I also used an engine hoist to lift the side of the hull until it was about half way, then moved the hoist to the other side to let it down.

Rich

billy c

Postby billy c » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:39 pm

hi Bruce-
tried the link but it goes to the password login. sounds like the right idea for the stain though. minwax was one of the options i was thinking of also in the waterbase. did you wet and sand the surface before the stain or are you doing the synthetic abrasive after?
-Billy

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:53 am

Billy (and all)

Sorry about the link. I thought I had previously set the sharing permissions on that album. Maybe they got reset when I added a photo. I think I've fixed it now.

I don't know what "synthetic abrasive" is.

Here's what I did...

Sanded to 180. Wetted. Sanded again. Used Minwax pre-stain. Sanded again. Wiped with damp cloth. Stained.
Bruce.

Dow's Monaco Project

billy c

Postby billy c » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:04 am

plastic steel wool (kinda like a scrubbing pad for pots and pans :)

Return to “Power Boats”