GERONIMO's windshield

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

GERONIMO's windshield

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:40 pm

Howdy, I have a question for you folks who have used the Lake Shore castings cast aluminum windshield brackets - I mentioned in an earlier post that the slots in my brackets are a little less than a quarter inch, so the 1/4" ply won't fit to make the pattern. Neither will the 1/4" tempered glass. I thought I would either have to get the brackets machined out or the glass ground where it goes in the slots.
The glass people tell me they can't grind the glass to a lesser thickness, however, they Can put a bevel on it, like 1/2 or 1" from the ends. I may do that vs. machining out my brackets.
So how did you guys do it? Thanks for any help! Bob
Attachments
IMG_1294.JPG
Bob

hoodman

Re: GERONIMO's windshield

Postby hoodman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:43 am

Bob, I can't help you with your glass unfortunately but what you propose sounds like it ought to work. Your Geronimo looks great though. If mine approaches anywhere near the quality of yours I'll be happy!

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:01 pm

I used these same brackets and I had to machine out the side brackets a touch to accept 1/4” glass.
In addition the center post screws provided weren’t long enough to mate the two pieces together once the glass was in. I ended up boring a larger hole and cutting new threads for larger screws. It’s aluminum so easy to work with.
I also had to grind a slightly different angle on the base of the center section. You’ll see when you go to put the whole thing together with the glass, it will argue with you some.
Matt B
Attachments
0D4E90C0-DFC0-4B6C-9BC7-0ED96510BBAA.jpeg

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply Matt. Yeah I think that's the way I'll go. I'm not a machinist so I'll try and find a local shop to do that for me - I would think something just over 1/4",nI'll bring a sample of the glass and the gasket material. I know the screws are way too short, I've got longer machine screws so that's no problem - hopefully there won't be a vertical offset of the holes requiring me to tap a new screw hole cause that's out of my bandwidth also. Thanks for your help! Bob
Bob

Return to “Power Boats”