need advice on choosing a build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

kens

Postby kens » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:55 pm

Woody wrote:
"Actually, an Inboard is what I would prefer, however, I have never even seen one in operation, let alone know how to set it up. I am pretty good with car motors, and figured that would be the cheapest way for me to power a boat."
Yeah, inboard power is cheaper than outboards, especially if you are comfortable with automotive style engines.

"I am pretty sure that I would like to build a boat that had both sail and fuel power (whether outboard, I/O, inboard)"
I do not know of any small motorsailers. Most motorsailers are larger blue-water boats.

"as well as fishing amenities and a small to moderate "covered" space so that when I am out fishing and the wife and or kids are getting bored, they could go and play games, sleep, etc."
Sounds like you are describing a New England lobster boat.

"Another question that I have is whether or not I could use the abundant supply of Pecan or Ash that I have in the construction of the hull or not"
Yeah, Ash is OK. Pecan should be decent too. Most of the american nut woods are good. Pecan, Hickory, Walnut are all cousins. Acorn trees are a nut wood, called Oak. White Oak is fine.
How does Pecan hold up to exterior use? Does it rot easily?
Modern epoxy building techniques have extended the life of wood tremendously.
If you got wood on hand for cheap price, then it sounds like the best to use.
Why not build a Double Eagle, framed in Ash, trimmed in Pecan?

basilkies

Postby basilkies » Tue May 01, 2007 12:45 pm

kens wrote:
basilkies wrote:Don't let them sell you short on the sailboat. Notice these guys said they tried it once.

I am experienced in single-handling a Catalina 20. I bought my own 14' rig, and tried that as my first boat purchase. The Catalina 20 was really good for trolling for fish. You could troll a line right into a school of fish that the birds were hitting, troll right through it. That is, if the schoolof fish wasnt too far away.
And on the 14 footer, I was sunburnt in dead air with a girlfriend. We could see the marina, but couldnt get there in dead air. I looked at her in her sweaty, roasted bikini; looked at the paddle; looked at her, then the paddle. About that time she realized it was either scr_w or row.
She rowed!!

I tried that once on my Hobie Catamaran. I had two women with me in the middle of the lake. So I gave them the choice, they didn't hesitate, they both dove in the lake!! I've had a complex ever since.

basilkies

Postby basilkies » Tue May 01, 2007 12:45 pm

kens wrote:
basilkies wrote:Don't let them sell you short on the sailboat. Notice these guys said they tried it once.

I am experienced in single-handling a Catalina 20. I bought my own 14' rig, and tried that as my first boat purchase. The Catalina 20 was really good for trolling for fish. You could troll a line right into a school of fish that the birds were hitting, troll right through it. That is, if the schoolof fish wasnt too far away.
And on the 14 footer, I was sunburnt in dead air with a girlfriend. We could see the marina, but couldnt get there in dead air. I looked at her in her sweaty, roasted bikini; looked at the paddle; looked at her, then the paddle. About that time she realized it was either scr_w or row.
She rowed!!

I tried that once on my Hobie Catamaran. I had two women with me in the middle of the lake. So I gave them the choice, they didn't hesitate, they both dove in the lake!! I've had a complex ever since.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue May 01, 2007 3:32 pm

Sailboat or Powerboat? :roll: :?:

A power boater (Stink Pot) always is trying to get somewhere. A sail-boater, is where he wants to be when he gets on his boat. 8)

Both, have a purpose. To go to the restaurant in my sailboat, under power, it takes 45 minutes each way. In a runabout 15 minutes. (Most of it is at the dock.) :)

There is nothing like a sunset, under sail, with good friends. :) 8)

Oh, yes! I need a fishing boat and a trawler/cruiser.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Tue May 01, 2007 7:59 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:There is nothing like a sunset, under sail, with good friends. :) 8)

Oh yeah, that is true. But the key words in that statement is "under sail"
When the wind dies in a sailboat, it is akin to runnin out of gas in a powerboat, except it aint your own actions that caused it.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue May 01, 2007 8:05 pm

The Two best sounds in boating: 1. When you shut down the engine and you are under sail. 2. When the engine fires coming in.

I can get in under sail (with wind). But, it is not fun.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”