spiling question

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

obd

spiling question

Post by obd » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:03 pm

I have studied the forum and have decided to use the trim router approach to spile the veneer on my Malahini. I think I have a handle on the technique thanks to the excellent descriptions given by other builders. My questions are basic and due to my lack of experience/knowledge with routers. How do you make the jig/fence that guides the router between the planks and what router bit do you use?

DrBryanJ

Re: spiling question

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:35 am

obd:

I made a new base for my router from 1/4 ply and 1/8 ply. The bit is a 1/8" straight cutting bit.Image
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

obd

Post by obd » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:27 pm

That's perfect. Thanks Bryan and thanks for the picture. That shows the set-up well. btw - I have been enjoying your build. Nice work.
Bob

obd

Post by obd » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:25 pm

On the main Glen-L web page, Ken Hankinson has an article about planking mahogany runabouts. He mentions that you can bevel or undercut the plank edge for a tighter jam fit. Any thoughts on the best way to do this?
Bob

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:22 am

When I did my planking, I put a slight undercut on each edge using a block plane. The planks are only 1/8" thick, so it only took a few passes with the plane. I stayed away from the outer edge slightly.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:59 am

I did the same as Neel. I used the router method to get the two boards very close, then used the block plane to angle the back half of the board. My boards are 3/16 thick. The other day my neighbors were looking at my boat that it is now fully epoxied and sanded, they were amazed at how tight the seams are between the boards (barring a few router slips here and there).
Last edited by DrBryanJ on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:54 am

Good idea, though the router method will get you pretty darn close. May only take a pass or two with a hand plane to get it just right. Careful about how much you take off, you want a close fit through the plank thickness. This is the beauty of the router method, it does that for you by cutting one plank edge parallel to the other. If the plank edges are only tight at the outer surface, sanding/fairing the hull now and in future refinishing will open gaps between them.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Power Boats”