Restoring Glory Days a 23' Belle Isle

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

billy c

Re: Restoring Glory Days a 23' Belle Isle

Postby billy c » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:47 pm

Jim Tom Peter-
Thanks for your ideas on cleaning up the grooves. I have a Dremel tool and have used it on pretty fine detail like the rosette inlay on guitar tops, but had little confidence I could keep the base and fence in such a shallow groove. I looked at the grout saw as Tom mentioned and liked the fact I could control that better. Looked around the shop and found a few blades that might work like the grout saw and lo and behold I made amazing progress using a bimetal blade handheld to clean the groove! Thanks so much for that. Followed up with my sandpaper and got a finished section done. Pete I appreciate the heat idea and know that works well with epoxy too so did not want to chance softening that component along with the LPU.
Bill- thanks for being there. I suspect many of these builders will be looking at our reworks as their finishes degrade. Hope they can draw from our adventures.

Tom Thanks for the compliment on the Boating Directory for Winnipesaukee. It came as a surprise to me as usually the cover is of some overpowered plastic boat :D
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:48 pm

Here is the System Three LPU that sat with very little adhesion in the groove after sanding
IMG_2489.jpg

Bimetal saw blade bottom in photo that worked well. Might even buy a sharp blade tomorrow :lol:
IMG_2485.jpg

Finished area ready for stain. About a mile of grooves left to do
IMG_2492.jpg

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:02 pm

I love my Fein OMT and they make a bit for this job Vid here

Auf Deutch

it has a hook on the end so you don't gouge the wood I guess, I have not tried this.

I see these other vids:

Vid 1

Vid 2

Congrats on the Boating cover that is AWESOME!
Attachments
hook.jpg
Fein.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks for the video Jim. that looks like a real good tool for reaming out those grooves. Will keep that in mind. may look great for me after a few more days of this :lol:

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:44 pm

Its one of those tools that I didn't think I would ever need (seemed too "as seen on TV") But I got a cheepo Harbor Freight because I was in a bind and it cut what I needed in a way that no other tool could have done (removing the integral fuel tanks in the Ski boat) and after burning up the cheepo I went with the Fein and its even more awesome. I find new uses for it all the time; you wont just be limited to caulk removal :) with the various blades that are available.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:36 pm

Glad that worked out. I was reluctant to suggest heat knowing of the epoxy behind the LPU bit couldn't think of an alternative. Interesting but good the LPU did scrape off so willingly. Can't wait to see how this turns out!
And your boat on the cover is great statement of your craftsmanship, looks fantastic!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:14 pm

PeterG wrote:Glad that worked out. I was reluctant to suggest heat knowing of the epoxy behind the LPU bit couldn't think of an alternative. Interesting but good the LPU did scrape off so willingly. Can't wait to see how this turns out!
And your boat on the cover is great statement of your craftsmanship, looks fantastic!

Thanks Peter. Always good the forum has your back when you are at a standstill ...or going backwards.
...something my wife doesn't understand as the boat day after day looks in the same unfinished state :lol:
Billy

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:47 pm

Cool magazine cover Billy.

I can just imagine the tediousness of cleaning and sanding those grooves. But such a beautiful boat.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Power Boats”