Bob's GERONIMO's windshield

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

Bob's GERONIMO's windshield

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:11 am

Howdy, well I guess I better call her "Bob's Geronimo", Matt! We're not alone out there.
I'm getting close to finishing, I've been working on the windshield - used the Lakeshore castings, had them chrome plated and the side grooves machined out so I could extend the windshield a couple inches higher. I screwed in the brackets using the smallest screws I could and made the templates out of some 1/8" foam art board, then used them to make 1/4" plywood templates, which I finished to fit as well as I could. Then I took the plywood templates to a glass company that's making 1/4" tempered glass pieces for me, with a single 1/2" bevel on each side so I can fit them into the side brackets.. I'll put it back together with larger screws. I'm worried that the side brackets have no side support, so instead of screwing them down I may use bolts with backer boards.
Today I'm picking up the glass and will get started. I would appreciate any advice anyone has regarding assembling the windshield. I have the rubber gasket for the windshield base, and the rubber gasket for where the sides fit into the brackets. I figure you just push the glass in and trim with a razor. I'm wondering what you used for a lubricant, I'm thinking just soapy water. But - what about something that would also serve as an adhesive to keep the glass int the grooves? Again, the side brackets are stood up by only 2 in-line screws and it seems likely it could bend out and break maybe - perhaps an adhesive holding the glass in the grooves would also serve to keep the brackets upright?? Any ideas? Thanks, Bob
Attachments
IMG_1301.JPG
side brckets have no side supports
IMG_1300.JPG
foam poster board templates
Bob

billy c

Re: Bob's GERONIMO's windshield

Postby billy c » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:27 am

Bob I thru bolted mine as people tend to use those as handles they stumble from the dock to the seats. You could use 4200 on the side bracket grooves if you are concerned about that fit. You will get a better idea after you do the install.
Looking good!
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:34 pm

Bob I figured I should change the title of the thread since I made it "Another Geronimo coming soon" about four years ago.

Your boat looks classic already. I can't wait to see it with the glass!

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:04 pm

Matt, that's a white adhesive caulk, right? Did you mean using the 4200 along with the rubber gasket, or just bedding the sides of the panes in the grooves with caulk only? I was thinking that might make a neater installation, i.e. without the gasket, only put the gasket in the center post fittings. bob
Bob

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:05 pm

sorry Matt I meant to address that question about the caulk to Billy. Bob
Bob

billy c

Postby billy c » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:27 pm

Bob-
The 4200 comes in black also. Might be just tubes though, as that is what I used. ...yes without the gasket. Maybe trim most of the rubber away so you have a spacer at intervals to isolate the glass where it contacts the metal groove then fill with 4200?
Billy
Last edited by billy c on Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks Billy. I've got the white,5200. I'll know Saturday when I'll have time to do the windshield - since the glass is beveleled, I think even with the rubber gasket it would be best to caulk it in cause there'll be gaps. That's over a 2 hour drive for me to go get the black caulk - is there something special about "marine" adhesive sealant or maybe I can get a good sealant at the big box store? Thanks, bob
Bob

Return to “Power Boats”