Monte Carlo... is it the right choice

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

4th Bob

Re: Monte Carlo... is it the right choice

Postby 4th Bob » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:52 pm

The more I study the pictures of the Monte the more I think I can build it and just add in some V to the hull at the transom and extend that forward and be good to go. There’s guys doing the crossing to Bimini all the time in little bay boats and other crafts that wouldn’t qualify as Deep V which really has me thinking that the Monte is capable with only slight modification.
That being said, it would only be possible on flat days during the summer but take these guys for example:
https://youtu.be/d7ZTptkOnLE

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:14 pm

Bob

Many things can be done. But, I can't tell you to Go For It! I don't know your skills or judgement. The Monte can definitely do it on a good day.

I've made the Gathering trip to Chattanooga in the small Tahoe several times. The tour boats throw out waves similar to light ocean waves. my boat handles those fine. Many smaller boats are with us and they do fine, also.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Personally, 45 miles on a jetski in rolling chop ain't my idea of fun. Doing it with a monte wouldn t be much better. And you want to take guests, so you'll need a boat that can do it comfortably and safely.
In regards to design, i think it will be much easier to take a deep vee design and make the top look like a monte carlo than taking the monte design and modifying the vee.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:21 pm

I really like my Monte. Plenty of room for 8 people. It’s actually a pretty dry boat except for the rear cockpit. I didn’t put any rails on it so if you put one on it she would be very dry. There is 4 inch deadrise in the stern. If it was calm water Bimini would be an easy hour trip. If it was rough I wouldn’t go. While it handles rough water it’s not comfortable. I put 58 gallons in it but you would still want fuel at Bimini. It’s best on rivers and lakes.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Return to “Power Boats”