Scaling down Wee Hunk

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Gahboo

Scaling down Wee Hunk

Postby Gahboo » Thu May 10, 2018 4:55 am

Hi. I have determined that the Wee Hunk is the perfect design for me because it has no internal frames. I want to do some side seating and extra storage compartments. Problem is that at 16’, it is one foot too long to fit in my garage without dismounting the motor every time i park it. If it were 15’ i would have just enough room.

I know that scaling boat plans is no trivial thing, especially if the scale difference is significant. But i was thinking that the Wee Hunk might easily scale down 7% because it has ample beam, flat bottom, and no scantlings.

Do you guys think i can successfully scale the Wee Hunk down 7% or so without messing with the performance too much?

Also, i would like to build this as an open cockpit tiller steered boat. The motor i have is a 25 hp mercury tiller model. I dont need a speedboat but i want it to plane with a reasonable load. Will a 25 hp push the scaled down 15’ Wee Hunk?

I know that generally, you should try to not scale plans. But the construction of this boat makes it very flexible for me. I cant find a 15’ plan that is a totally open design with no frames or scantlings.

What do you guys think?

sproggy

Re: Scaling down Wee Hunk

Postby sproggy » Thu May 10, 2018 6:45 am

Shortening or lengthening a stitch and glue boat isn't a simple matter because the ply panels are shaped to fit together only at the original size. It's possible but it's not a trivial amount of work because changing the length will also alter the curvature and therefore shape of the panels in their flat form.

If you make it tiller steered from the rear you change the weight distribution by putting your weight at the back with the motor rather than in the centre as designed. You will need to move other items and/or passengers forward to keep the weight distribution as designed - how much depends upon how much you weigh!

Why don't you consider the 14' Power Skiff which is S&G construction and designed for a tiller steered motor? I've no way of knowing whether it satisfies your needs in other respects, though.

Return to “Power Boats”