Taxmasta’s Tug Along 16

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

taxmasta

Re: Taxmasta’s Tug Along 16

Post by taxmasta » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:45 pm

885FC220-9965-4049-8EE7-7762411DF1C9.jpeg
I drilled a small hole in the bottom corner of each side piece so I could use nylon rope to bring the sides together. It works great! You bring the sides inward with the rope, do a few stitches, then tighten again, and so forth until the entire side is stitched to the bottom. Also solved my problem at the bow with the stem not coming together at the top. Put a c-clamp on each side, then ran rope between and tightened. Brought it in better than other ways I tried. Got the idea from a picture in the Glen-L stitch and glue manual.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:21 am

It's fun to watch these stitch and glue designs come together. Great job!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

taxmasta

Post by taxmasta » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:48 am

1DEB50E6-DBED-4739-8F8F-36F76DF86902.jpeg
Transom and motorboard cut and dry fitted. I have my stern arc assembled, but when I lined it up with one of the sides and tried to clamp it in place, my butt block started to crack. I realized the butt block needs reinforced, since it’s recessed to 1/4” thickness where the plywood meets. So i’m going to epoxy another 1x4 on top of each butt block, and hopefully that will allow me to clamp the butt blocks to the sides and make the plywood stern arc bend instead.
790A3D53-FB76-47D9-BE90-0ED0ABD3128C.jpeg
I was having problems bending the sides out at station 1 so I could fit in my athwartships beam, but I came up with this solution to get the width I need. I’m within 3 inches, so i’m going to let it sit and conform for a little, and then try for the last few inches. Worst case scenario - I have to settle for what I have now. There’s outward flare now though, so I think it would be ok.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:09 am

Have you tried soaking that area with hot water and towels? It really helps.
Matt

taxmasta

Post by taxmasta » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:00 pm

I’m a little paranoid about letting that much moisture into my plywood. I need specifics. Boiling water or just hot water? How long a soak? How do you dry the plywood after, and for how long?

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:01 pm

Lay a couple of layers of towels on the stubborn areas and then pour boiling water slowly onto the towels. Let that soak for 15 minutes and then try bending again. Brace it all in place and then you can remove the towels and let dry. The plywood will somewhat keep that shape after you let the clamps go but it should be much easier to get it bent where you need it. The wood will be fine (that's why you bought marine ply with waterproof glue). It will raise the grain a little bit. But you're going to have to sand later anyway.

I had to do it in the bow section of my Geronimo. The bending went from impossible to not to bad after soaking.
Matt

taxmasta

Post by taxmasta » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:25 am

373DA19A-F075-4B53-A228-7BBF51D09547.jpeg
My tunnel and transom assembled, but not glued. Waiting to fit stern arc before I epoxy the tunnel sides and transom into place for good.
8897EECD-1268-4702-83D8-156FDBA8E73F.jpeg
I ended up soaking my fore sides in boiling water so I could get some more bend out of them. I think I’m going to put a bulkhead at station one rather than just an athwartships beam. I think this will: 1. Make sure my flare is equal on both sides, and 2. Give me a compartment below the bulkhead lip to pour flotation foam in the bow.

taxmasta

Post by taxmasta » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:37 am

A8B30487-CAA7-4610-A2C5-3C1E6649C7CF.jpeg
I was fortunate to have Wayne Conklin, who built the Tug Along 18, come visit me yesterday. Thank you to Gayle at Glen L for putting me in touch with Wayne! We talked for three hours about construction and design issues and he looked at my boat so far and gave some great feedback! Wayne had some great ideas about rearranging the interior of the boat and some tips on next construction steps. I really enjoyed his visit!

taxmasta

Post by taxmasta » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:31 pm

71CF9DDD-A935-4E73-85D0-2843361CE34F.jpeg
My first attempt at a stern arc was a complete disaster. The plywood wouldn’t bend right, then it cracked, then when I tortured it into a bend, the arc’s radius was too short to meet the butt blocks attached to the sides. All this because I cut the plywood wrong on the first attempt - I cut the grain horizontally instead of vertically. So I ordered two more sheets, cut out the pieces with the grain vertical, and...the arc bends and fits! Now to do some interior framing and prepare for glassing the interior seams. I have a good feeling that I will be turning the boat over in December...

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:49 am

Looking good so far. Glad you were able to work out the bending. I despaired of getting my front lower panels to conform when putting them on several years ago, but like Matt, I used boiling water and towels to preform them and then later they were easier. One thing I would also recommend for anyone else in this position is practice your clamping order and procedure before hand. With my boat, it required a specific approach to get everything to lay in correctly. If I had done it differently, it's likely it would have broken the plywood.

Love these stitch and glue designs. If were younger, I think I would build a stitch and glue sailboat. I've seen some pretty nice designs.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Power Boats”