Potential Audeen build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Krause87

Potential Audeen build

Post by Krause87 »

Hello all, my name is Cody and I plan on building an Audeen at the start of the year. I'm trying to get a jump start on expanding my knowledge base as I am a hobby woodworker but have never built a boat before. From what I have seen so far Al Neil seems to have the Audeen build figured out pretty well. I have continuously searched the forum for knowledge on various parts of the build. I however would love to get in contact with Mr. Neil if he's willing to share some knowledge with me along the way. Thanks again
Krause87

Bill Edmundson

Re: Potential Audeen build

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Krause87

Welcome to the forum.

I don't remember the guy you mentioned. But, the build methods are not unique the Audeen. Lots of experience here! We'll get you through most any question you have. and, maybe even somebody will come to your house to help.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Krause87

Post by Krause87 »

That sounds great! Thanks Bill!
Krause87

BillJ

Post by BillJ »

Welcome Krause87

Your considering the boat that fits my eye the most. Really like the looks of it, wish you all the best.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Like Bill said, the build process for these boats is essentially the same, only the shapes are a bit different. And as far as prior boat building experience, most of us here started out that way so don't worry. I would also suggest that if you are waiting until the end of the year just so you can study the build more, you can probably shorten that considerably and get started. The initial steps in the build are easy enough and once you get going and gain some experience and confidence, the harder parts will come to you or someone will offer advice to get you through it. Good luck with the build.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Krause87

Post by Krause87 »

Thanks Bill and Carl! I'm more waiting due to time to focus on the project. We lost a few people at work so overtime is unlimited right now as well as vacations coming up and just life in general. I was however wanting to gradually start purchasing lumber based on the materials list. Does this sound like a good idea or shouId I purchase the plans first?
Last edited by Krause87 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Krause87

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I would get the plans first and jump right in! :D :D
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

One of the first lessons I learned was not to spend a lot of money on items that I was unsure of. I purchase everything as I go which allows me to budget for the build and avoid piling up any debt. It also reduces the likelihood that I am going to buy something I either don't need, is the wrong item, is more than I need, and or that I have no place (except on the boat) to store it. A good example of this was the chine lumber. This was very long for my boat and would have been in the way for well over a year before I actually needed it.

Everything is relative of course, the Audeen is not the Vera Cruise and you are not me. We all work differently, but I do agree that buying the plans (or better yet if you're not sure of which boat you want the study plans) first. Include the boat building with plywood book from Glen L in your order because there will be questions when you receive the plans.

Understand we are not trying to rush you into this, rather, we all know that this is a long term commitment that will likely take longer than you think, and the sooner you get started, the sooner you will get finished. But definitely do take the time to study and think things through. It will save you a lot of heartache.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Krause87

Post by Krause87 »

Thanks for the advice, I have my heart set on the Audeen and do already have the boatbuilding with plywood book as well as the how to fiberglass boats book. I will wait until I get the plans and study them. I definitely want to get it right the first time. Thanks again guys!
Krause87

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

"Design History Note: The "Aud-een" was named after a girl named Audry Green who the designer, Glen L. Witt, dated for quite a few years."

Anyone have the stones to name their boat after an ex-girlfriend? :lol:
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard »

I had a very nice email conversation with Al Neill some years ago, and he's a really nice guy. At the time I was considering an Audeen or Mist Miss (essentially a stretched Audeen), and he was able to offer up a couple of pointers.

Al's boat has a Ford 302 for power, and he said that Ford marine parts have become expensive, so he recommended GM power if cost savings are a factor. He also mentioned that using one of the older, flywheel-forward engines would allow the engine to be placed to avoid an excessive shaft angle. Old Gray Marine V-8s with gearboxes come up on that well known auction site all the time, but if you're not a tinkerer you'll need to find someone who can put one right, unless your'e lucky enough to find one that has been gone through.

Do a search for "Glen-L Audeen" on Youtube and you can see Al's boat in action. He did a terrific job on it.

-Mark Shipley
"One Zip, two Can-Yaks. What's next?"
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

That's a neat design!
It reminds me of the boat named "Thayer" in the movie "On Golden Pond"
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Krause87

Post by Krause87 »

I have communicated with Al on the forum and he is a great asset, especially for me being a first time builder. I'm glad I was able to get in contact with him. I do have one question, I am not familiar with the term "flywheel forward". I have a general idea of what it's relating to but how does it work? Thanks in advance!
Krause87

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Hi Cody - I thought you were going to use your 305? in this thread

A flywheel forward is backwards like the one I have in my ski boat and Fred has in his Monaco

The transmission is driven off of the typical front of the engine and the flywheel does not do anything other than allow the starter to engage the teeth to crank it. As mentioned in my other post the oil pan is a funky design because the bell housing actually mates to it.
Attachments
Looking Forward
Looking Forward
Looking Aft
Looking Aft
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Krause87

Post by Krause87 »

I do plan on using my 305 for sure. I just was not curtain how literal the term flywheel forward was haha. My plan is the 305 with a decent Marine cam (love the lope) and a Edelbrock marine 4bbl carb mated to a velvet drive c71. Possibly roller rockers to compliment the roller cam and lifters if the bugdet allows at that point. Maybe a 13"x11 prop just judging from what I've read. I want to be able to pull a skier(me) :mrgreen: and also a two or three person tube.
Krause87

Return to “Power Boats”