Converting a non-marine 305 and is it worth it

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

kens

Re: Converting a non-marine 305 and is it worth it

Post by kens » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:42 pm

Krause87 wrote:Thanks watkibe! I actually purchased the inboard engine installation book and It should be in this evening. I looked at some outboard models but for what I am wanting as far as look, purpose and of coarse safety. I feel the inboard setup would be better. Besides, I grew up around hot rods and am/was a GM mechanic so what better way to build a boat that fits me than stick a hot rodded car engine in it! :wink:
The inboard setup is a quantum shift from an outboard setup, as far as performance. I am a open water/blue water kind of guy, at least thats the way I see it. the outboard has the engine power head up high on the transom (aft), and the inboard has the power head down low & center. The difference in offshore seakeeping is a quantum shift. does it have to be specific to offshore work. I dont think so.....
The inboard set up doesnt have the "get over the hump" style that the outboard has , to get on plane.
If a rogue wave happens to come at you, which is better,,,,powerhead weight high up on the transom or low & center,, you tell me....
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Krause87

Post by Krause87 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:41 am

It wouldn't only depend on the height of the center of gravity but the hull design as well correct? Also in reference to my "safety" comment. I meant more like skiers and younger kids getting on and off the swim platform without a possibility of cutting/hurting themselves on the lower unit. This will be a lake boat also, not that lakes can't get rough but I have plenty of resources for Bay boats so I won't really see a reason to put mine in that situation. Please correct me if my thinking a skewed. After all I am here to learn not to debate and you guys are my guiding light in the future endeavour. Thanks Again!
Krause87

kens

Post by kens » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:14 pm

oh yeah, the inboard allows a generous swim platform, thats a no brainer for skiing and tubing.
Besides, is it nicer to hear the inboard V8 growl, or the outboards' whine??? :D
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:46 am

kens wrote: Besides, is it nicer to hear the inboard V8 growl, or the outboards' whine??? :D
I think you meant "Outboard purrr!" :lol:
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Krause87

Post by Krause87 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:43 pm

HAHA, is it bad that I'm building the motor before I even have the lumber for the frames? :P
Krause87

Return to “Power Boats”