1960 Century Resorter dismantle

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

woodruff

1960 Century Resorter dismantle

Post by woodruff »

I picked up a 1960 Century Resorter that has all bad wood. I mean real bad stuff. I had to shrink wrap the transom area for fear it would fall apart during the tow home. I picked it up for the parts. It has all it's original parts except the prop. Much still looks good except the wood. I am dismantling the boat to see how these boats are built. Pretty interesting stuff. I did find a little bit of decent reusable wood but most of the hull wood is totaled. Not much to take measurements for a reconstruction so it is now only for parts salvage. Darn. Cool old boats. I think I like the ply style boats better. Want a few photos? I can get some tomorrow if you like. Know anyone who may need some parts? Not sure what I am going to keep or sell.

woodruff
woodruff

A few pics of the boat for you.

Post by woodruff »

Ok, I had a few pic's on my camera and now have them in a little photo album for you to see.

http://www.inertext.homeunix.com/century

Enjoy the photo album. It is quick and blunt. I will have more to add as I dismantle the boat. I will get a pic of and end piece of ply that has stamped on it hull quality ply. Pretty cool to see that. I will make it a very close up. It is small but it's there. Since 1960. One part that did not rot away.

Pete

John K

Post by John K »

The Photo address does not work
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

It worked for me.

God, I hate to see old things die from neglect. Die from use, OK. But, just left to rot, NO.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
woodruff

Post by woodruff »

Bill,

I can't agree more. The further I dig the worse the wood. I have however found a few pieces of wood that are still useable. For what I am not sure but the wood is still sound as can be. I have found a few interesting items. One was a large red fire extinguisher in the bow area with a metal top welded to it and two copper fittings attached to that for routing oil pressure lines to at least one gauge and the other to another attachment with a couple more fittings going to (not sure yet) who knows where. As I dig further I will report and take a photo of this gadget. It also was not strapped to anything for support. Odd indeed.

woodruff
woodruff

Post by woodruff »

John K,

Try the photo link again. It does work and nothing needs to be done to allow any one on any platform to use it and to view the photo album.

woodruff
John K

Post by John K »

Linked worked this time! It is in BAD shape. I agree with Bill. I also would rather have something wear out from use then go this way.
woodruff

More photos

Post by woodruff »

Good to hear the link worked.

I have more images in my photo album. Photos pretty much speak for themselves. Choose the second set of photos if you have already seen the first.

woodruff

Post by woodruff »

Let's try that link again. I see it had a space at the end so it disabled the link.

Return to “Power Boats”