Malahini from MD

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Sarnian

Re: Malahini from MD

Post by Sarnian » Fri May 10, 2019 11:45 am

footer wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:43 am
Your just behind me with the finish. Here's what I've done. I put three coats of epoxy on as well and I went through the first coat sanding too. Like you , I was delicate with the wood I stained.
I am very happy with the Perfection plus. I used one of these little stubby, rubber handled, 2.5" wide, angle cut, brushes, I purchased at Home Depot. It leveled well, left no brush strokes, and filled in a lot of the orange peel from the epoxy, and my hand doesn't get fatigued with it.
So far, I have put two coats of the Interlux, one right on top of the other (without sanding if you do it within 24 hours). I am now going back and wet sanding with 400 grit to get out the crap that settled into the finish (my shop is really to dirty to be doing finish as all that dust gets into the air and settles right on the finish.
I will definitely do my last coat with that brush as well.
Thanks footer - this is really useful. Two additional questions! - did you dilute your first coat of Interlux, and do you think you'll sand/buff your final coat - ? I tried this, didn't get a great shine, but I quite like the very smooth but a bit dull finish.

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri May 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Interlux perfection plus has given me glossy finish. I rolled and tipped. The coats are very thin and they don't fill much, in other words, it will follow the contour of the orange peel and GLOSSY orange peel will be the result. The closer you are to dead flat after epoxy the better Perfection Plus will look. It all depends on what you can tolerate, perfect is a really high bar.

Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri May 10, 2019 2:34 pm

I've already said,"The longer I work, the closer perfect and good enough come to each other."

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat May 11, 2019 7:56 am

I guess this is what I get for being lax about visiting the forum. This build is coming along quite nicely. I love the custom touch of the dash.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat May 11, 2019 11:19 am

Your boat is looking great!
TomB wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:20 pm
Interlux perfection plus has given me glossy finish. I rolled and tipped. The coats are very thin and they don't fill much, in other words, it will follow the contour of the orange peel and GLOSSY orange peel will be the result. The closer you are to dead flat after epoxy the better Perfection Plus will look. It all depends on what you can tolerate, perfect is a really high bar.
I have not used the Perfection Varnish but when I used Epifanes on my dash the flatter the epoxy was the better the varnish job ended up. I am at the orange peeled and sanded epoxy state on my build as well. I do not have stain so its a bit easier. I plan to sand it to get all the peel out prior to varnish.

Is there consensus that Interlux Perfection Plus Varnish is the preferred coating for epoxied brightwork?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

footer

Post by footer » Sat May 11, 2019 2:03 pm

Just to clarify, I did sand out about 80% of the orange peel and what was left is almost non existent after I applied the interlux. If you get right down and look flat across it, you can see a bit of ripple, but not enough to loose sleep over.
I did not thin my first coat. Interlux instructions say to thin if you are going over bare wood. It actually adheres and flows very nicely over sanded epoxy.
I would not buff out the the finish without first contacting the Interlux tech line. Ive read a few posts on the subject and it appears unless you know what you are doing, don't do it! I know just enough be dangerous and ive put too much time into it to mess it up for one slight change in gloss. So, after my next coat, I'm done . . . for this year anyway.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon May 13, 2019 8:46 am

A short update...I continue testing approaches to get a nice finish using perfection plus - Feels like I'm getting there, in large part thanks to the advice from you all. I bit the bullet and decided to refinish my dash...I had sanded through and just couldn't live with it so I pulled it back down to bare wood and laid on some stain yesterday

Before I did that, I did something a little geeky - removed the white incandescent bulbs from my dials, and replaced them with blue LEDs. Its the small things that make me happy...evidence attached!
Attachments
IMG_4632.heic.jpg

footer

Post by footer » Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 am

I do like the blue. Nice touch.

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon May 20, 2019 4:59 pm

I was thinking of changing mine out with leds as well. Nice look. Where did you purchase them?

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue May 21, 2019 5:26 am

Biss wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:59 pm
I was thinking of changing mine out with leds as well. Nice look. Where did you purchase them?
Hi Biss - SuperbrightLEDs.com

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon May 27, 2019 9:56 am

Only a little progress this weekend - working on the carlings, dash, frames, and three sole pieces. Basically sanding the epoxy and laying on some perfection plus. Two coats so far - a few more to go. I am liking how its laying down so far, much better than previous attempts. I'm just rolling at the moment, the 80 degree temperature seems to be just about right for allowing the PP to settle down and smooth out. I will put on a few more coats and will likely sand the penultimate coat and then perhaps tip if needed. Dust is a real problem in my garage, so getting a clean finish is tough. I'm kind of OK with that for the sole (as you can see!) - built in slip-proofing (in my job we call that post-hoc rationalization). :D

Clearly I need to do some vacuuming and cleaning of the inside.....

Anyway...photos for what they're worth!
IMG_4668.jpg
IMG_4669.jpg
IMG_4670.jpg

footer

Post by footer » Tue May 28, 2019 3:17 am

Looking great. I love the lettering on the dash and the deck is going to look cool. I thought about an intricate layout in wood on mine, but my wife opted for carpet.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Wed May 29, 2019 12:47 pm

I'm waiting for a fresh delivery of Perfection Plus, so played around with making some panels last night. I like the way they look - not sure how hardy they will be - basically cloth backed vinyl stapled into ply.
IMG_4673.jpg
IMG_4672.jpg

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed May 29, 2019 4:55 pm

Looks great. The 50s/60s vintage inboards often had vinyl upholstered ceiling panels like that. Mostly they were thin (1/8" or 3/16" thick) tempered hardboard or plywood with the layer of vinyl upholstery glued or stapled in place for looks, held in with retainer strips at the edges or chrome screws with dressy washers. Fancier boats would have thin padding behind the vinyl.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr » Wed May 29, 2019 8:20 pm

Your boat is coming along and is looking great. I really like the vintage look of the panels.

Lee

Return to “Power Boats”