Moderator: BruceDow

Biss

Re: Hi from Maryland - building the Malahini

Post by Biss » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:48 pm

Looking good!

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:25 pm

Its been a while since I've updated - xmas was really slow but things have picked up a little since then. I started out by working on the inside of the hull, attempting to neaten up some of the epoxy around the battens, basically sanding and also putting in some fillets. I'm really not sure it was worth it - I just should have slowed down at the beginning of construction and been neater - ah well, next build....

Then moved on to the motor well - that seemed to be pretty straightforward and a fun bit to do. I have yet to drill out the drain tube hole - at the moment I'm planning to do one in the motor well, and one or two at the bottom of the transom. I just bought a flaring tool- so we'll see how that goes.

I worked on encapsulation - two coats of cpes, two of regular epoxy. That job sucked...and any neatness I had rescued went away again. I have started to follow this up with a couple of coats of bilge paint (bilgekote), but only one coat in so far.

Next worked on the forward battens, carlings and dash. This was fun to do - still not sure what I'm going to do for the dash - whether to leave it as is, or put another piece over it with some inlays. A buddy stopped by and worked on shaping the top of the hull to match the contour of the battens and deck beam - that was a big help and I think it is as close as I'm going to get before doing the final shaping when I have ply to hand.

Next task was laying down some veneer on the sole - I'm still not quite sure what I'm going to do with the floor yet. I want it to be removable, and I want a small inspection hatch, which I've been thinking about trimming with some stainless steel...we'll see. It will also depend on the seats and what I end up doing there.

Anyway - some photos below.

Next up is buying a gas tank and figuring out what needs to be run and where...I am not sure of the Maryland 'code' for gas tanks or what is generally good practice. More learning in my future I guess.
IMG_4485.jpg
Attachments
IMG_4500.jpg
IMG_4499.jpg

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:27 pm

and a few more
IMG_4501.jpg
IMG_4501.jpg
sole veneer
[attachment=2]IMG_4501.jpg
Attachments
IMG_4503.jpg
IMG_4502.jpg

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:08 am

and now a question - - I have been figuring out the fuel tank - I think I have everything straight except for a couple of things.

I am going to try the Moeller 19g wedge tank, with some A2 1.5" flexible fill hose, and a 5/8 vent hose - however, for the hose to the engine - I'm a little unclear - where do folks run the hose typically - under the sole or behind the carling - also, which hose to use? - 3/8, then bulb, then 5/16?

Any recommendations from folks out there gratefully received. I still have not picked an engine, and won't for a while so....

Biss

Post by Biss » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:35 pm

Looks like we are using the same tank. I'll be watching closely how you do it! I hope others that have already done this will give some guidance soon!

Your build is looking really good!

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:21 pm

Just posting a little update. I guess I should move this to a different topic rather than "new members" - but.

Worked on the interior a little. A support for the gas tank, the center part of the sole, and some boxes over the chine on the interior, which will include cup holders etc eventually. I have to resaw some more afr. mahogany to finish the port and starboard parts of the sole and as veneer over the visible parts of the frames - so that may well be my task this weekend if I can carve out a couple of hours. Anyway - a pic to show this little bit of progress.
IMG_4521.jpg

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:30 pm

The floor looks great. You could set up some pins on the fore end and have a mini bowling alley. :lol:
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:11 pm

Sarnian,

Really nice Malahini and thank you for posting about your build--it's tremendously helpful. I confess that I just noticed your comment about the shortage of cloth in your Malahini Fiberglass kit. These kits were calculated by the designer way back when we first started selling fiberglass kits. There is supposed to be a 10% overage on all of the kits we offer, when used per the instructions. But, we have no way of knowing if there's an error unless notified. I know you're way past this stage, but I am curious if you followed the instructions on how to apply the cloth that came with the kit? We don't want to short material to anyone and would certainly make that right if contacted directly about it.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 am

Hi Gayle - thanks for the follow up. Your company has been wonderful to work with - you should be proud.

Cloth: That was a while ago, but my recollection was that I tried to follow the instructions as closely as possible. My guess is that if others have had no problem, then its probably my ineptitude - I do remember seeing one other comment about a shortage (I can't quite remember where though), so I suspect it is doable, but a little challenging. An extra couple of feet, (paid for), would have done the trick for me. However...not a big deal. In the general scheme of things, my own screw ups have been far more challenging than being a little short on cloth....

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Thanks for the response and your kindness in answering. We do want to get it right!

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:13 pm

A little progress this week. Worked on the port sole, basically fitting the 1/2" ply, re-sawing African mahogany for the veneer, gluing and stapling the veneer down, followed by some sanding. I also worked on the dash a little. Still trying to decide what shape I want on the bottom - at the moment I have clamped a curved piece on there...not sure about this yet.

Also, started drilling holes in my transom for the drains. One in the motor well, two at the bilge. I did screw the bilge holes up - I (once again) ignored my own advice, "never carry on working when you're tired at the end of the day". Holes are perfectly placed on the outside of the transom - but an inch above the bottom of the hull on the inside. Trying to figure out if I care enough to redo them. That might be a future project.

Also...last week, I mentioned to my wife that I had to start thinking about wiring - and had no idea where to start. I came home to find that she had taken the day off work, which she had spent reading about wiring a boat, she had developed a wiring diagram and list of things to buy. I came as close to tears as a British man can come.
IMG_4531.jpg
IMG_4528.jpg

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:11 am

Just for other folks interest - and because I couldn't easily find this. My wife used the tools at newwiremarine.com to research wiring. Looks like a good site - and we are going with the wiring diagram directly from their downloadable guide.
NWM_Wiring_Guide_2019_R2.jpg
wiring diagram from newwiremarine.com

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:59 am

Sarnian: Nice diagram. I will definitely use it when I start my wiring. I don't see a bilge pump included. Are you planning on one (or two)?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:00 pm

Forget last post. Went over the diagram again, and I saw the bilge pump. I don't see any switches for it.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi Bryan - I think they've just put all the switches in one, on the switch panel, so its the 2nd or 3rd one down - I thought this was a neat diagram - and they have them for a whole bunch of different size boats and configurations.

Return to “Power Boats”