Another Party Boat build (well, an attempt anyway)

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

eckie63

Another Party Boat build (well, an attempt anyway)

Postby eckie63 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:11 pm

Hello everyone,

A couple of years ago I got this crazy idea to build a 13' 9" PM38 off of plans from a 1962 Popular Mechanics issue. It was my very first boat build, and major woodworking project. It has been a fun little boat for tooling around on the lake. But it can't hold more than 4 people and then we're not very comfortable for anything but riding around. It was a lot of fun to build though. So lately I have been pondering something a little roomier. I came across Glen-L's Party Boat plans and have been going back to look at them many times over the past months. Well, I finally pulled the plug and bought the plans for it. They are quite a bit more intimidating than the PM38 plans were, but it should be doable if I just take my time. And once again the wife has OKed the project!

In contrast to the PM38 plans, these plans come with a very nice and detailed bill of materials. So I'll need to look around for places to source the lumber. I'm thinking I can use the same places I used for the PM38 but we'll see. My plan for now is to take this slow and take my time to make the smaller parts. At the same time I'll work out the space issue for when everything needs to come together. I'm limited to work in my garage.

Wish me luck!

-Peter
My previous project: Popular Mechanics PM38 from 1962 (Not a Glen-L design though)
A neat method for steam bending in place.
Using Tractor paint for your boat. Great for trailered boats.

taxmasta

Re: Another Party Boat build (well, an attempt anyway)

Postby taxmasta » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Which specific plans are you building from?

eckie63

Re: Another Party Boat build (well, an attempt anyway)

Postby eckie63 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:24 pm

Are there more than one set? I ordered the ones sold in Glen-L's store and am planning to build the 20' 6" version for a single long shaft outboard.
I am still in the planning stage so nothing tangible has happened yet. I have a couple of projects on the PM38 I need to finish first as well.
My previous project: Popular Mechanics PM38 from 1962 (Not a Glen-L design though)
A neat method for steam bending in place.
Using Tractor paint for your boat. Great for trailered boats.

Return to “Power Boats”