Power question for Monaco

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

DuckHunterJon

Power question for Monaco

Post by DuckHunterJon »

Hi all -

I'm starting to get the itch to start another build, and looking seriously at the Monaco Utility version. I would love to keep it all decked over, but our use dictates the need for more space.

Initial question on the power plant. Has anyone built a Monaco in either version with a V6? I love the thought of a 350 V8, but thinking about a V6 for several reasons. First, physical size - building the utility version, I'm thinking the V6 would give me more room on the interior with a smaller motor cover. Second, weight vs performance - I'd be looking at a fuel injected version, and I'm impressed with the performance in a friends 19' fiberglass boat with this motor. Third, cost - I have been seeing several low hour 4.3 motors for sale that owners have swapped out for bigger motors.

I have a second post in motors asking what it would take to convert one of these for inboard use, but I wanted to ask specific to this boat here. Thanks for any insight anyone may have.

Jon
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

Duck Boat Two complete, looking for a new project!

PeterG

Re: Power question for Monaco

Post by PeterG »

I don't know of any Monacos with 4.3L V6's but a few Barrelbacks and Key Largos have used them. The V6 is a great choice with power output will be slightly less than a 5.7L/350ci V8 but gas economy should improve slightly. Looking at the GM marine engine literature, both engines will be about the same width and height with the V6 slightly shorter because it is basically the 5.7L V8 with two cylinders deleted.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Jon

I push a 20'-6" Tahoe at 38 MPH with a 115hp diesel, straight 4. You don't have to have 350hp. Actually the boat was not designed for it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Power requirements go up exponentially with speed. So if you don't need to go 50-60 mph you don't need nearly as much motor.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

DuckHunterJon

Post by DuckHunterJon »

Thanks. I struggle with the question "how fast do I want to go". My last boat was a Procraft 210 with a 225 Merc. It would tickle 70 mph with just me in the boat, but was down right scary once the waves picked up. I mostly got that out of my system, but I do want to be able to get on it when I need to. I think a realistic goal will be 40 - 45, and I would be quite happy. Thoughts on achievable speed with a 220HP MPI 4.3 in a Monaco design?
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Jon

My numbers on the Tahoe showed 38 MPH at 115hp. To get to 50 MPH would take 230hp. As you add hp. you are also adding weight. You can't compare these boat straight to a glass boat. These boats are much lighter and generally narrower.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Jon, I am partial, but I would go for a base 260HP, 350 cu.in. motor. That should give you 45+ in the Monaco and for sure V8's sound so much better that V6's. You could stretch the Monaco hull to make up for the few extra inches in length for the V8. I think the price for the 260 HP small block will not be much more than the 4.3 and there are many new, rebuilt, and use out there. Neel

kens

Post by kens »

I looked into the V6-MPI for my build, until.......I actually saw one. There was wires & plumbing and hoses and just way too busy for my taste. It even 'looked' heavy to my uncalibrated eye. I went home and looked it up. The fuel injected V6 came in at over 1,000lbs in full marine dress.
A carbureated 350 weighs 1,000lbs also. So why bother with the V6 was my own thoughts. Add to that you pay about a $4k premium for the MPI version.
Here is my thoughts, if I may.
If you really want the extra room of the short V6 motor, and you are OK with the $$$ premium of the MPI, then get the carburated V6 (vortec) and invest the $$$$ premium in hull material like premium wood (lightweight), and S-glass vs regular glass, Okume vs Meranti ply, and so on.
If you were to build your Monaco couple hundred lbs lighter than the other guys, then you could run with them with your V6.
just my $.02
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

DuckHunterJon

Post by DuckHunterJon »

Thanks for all the reply's. Hearing it loud and clear, I'm going to look toward a V8. Believe me, it's what I would prefer, just wanted to inquire about other options as well. Lots more to plan!
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat »

DHJ
I built a Monaco powered by a Lexus V8. I am not suggesting you go that way, but just to compare the stats. Everybody drools over the V8 sound. The external dimensions of a small block V8 to a V6 is not much. Power wise I have 250HP and 250lbsft of torque. That powers a fully loaded boat to 50 mph. At 50 mph things are happening too fast. The sweet zone for my boat is 33mph at 3000 rpm and 12L/Hr. You can cover a lot of distance at that speed. Weight plays a big part as the Lexus is 300lbs lighter than the Chev 350 variants, so the boat sits .75" higher out of the water. My operational weight with no fuel is 950kg (2100lbs) I'd go for a smaller GM V8 giving a lot of thought to weight saving. The exhaust manifolds for starters, see Hi-Tek Marine.

Return to “Power Boats”