Thinking about first build - Tahoe vs Monaco

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Jimrude

Thinking about first build - Tahoe vs Monaco

Postby Jimrude » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Hello -

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

This forum is awesome. So much information, and helpful posters.

I’m thinking about my first build. Want a boat that won’t be overwhelming to undertake. Boat will be used on the rivers and lakes in Oregon, as well as Lake Tahoe. Would like to be able to take 5 passengers comfortably.

I “think” I’ve narrowed it down to two options: Tahoe 19 and Monaco.

Any feedback would be appreciated, and especially any guidance re: important differences between the two.

Thanks!
Be the person your dog thinks you are.

TomB

Re: Thinking about first build - Tahoe vs Monaco

Postby TomB » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Welcome to the forum. Both are fine designs. I am slowly building a Tahoe. I see two principle differences, the "rumps" are different, and the Monaco is 5" wider. Five in either boat will be cozy, two in the way back, and two with the captain. And if I'm one of the three across in the front, give me the extra 5". I really like the barrelback transom. My vote is Monaco. Tom

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:50 am

Jim

I'm biased. I stretched the Tahoe 19 to 20'-6". I run a 4 cylinder diesel. It will do 38 mph. I made the engine compartment as short as I could and added the length to the cockpits. I put a bench longways in front and a captains chair. I can easily seat 3 up front, 4 if one person is small. You could easily make the cockpits 2" wider. That doesn't seem like much. But, people are just larger than when these boats were designed.

Personally, I think the Tahoe rides better. But, the Monaco is a good boat also.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimrude

Postby Jimrude » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:Jim

I'm biased. I stretched the Tahoe 19 to 20'-6". I run a 4 cylinder diesel. It will do 38 mph. I made the engine compartment as short as I could and added the length to the cockpits. I put a bench longways in front and a captains chair. I can easily seat 3 up front, 4 if one person is small. You could easily make the cockpits 2" wider. That doesn't seem like much. But, people are just larger than when these boats were designed.

Personally, I think the Tahoe rides better. But, the Monaco is a good boat also.

Bill

Bill -

Thanks for the input - really appreciate it! And I checked out your build photos - super helpful.

What makes you feel the Tahoe rides better than the Monaco? When or how is it different?

And, based on your build, how critical do you think it is to bolt the base beam to the garage/ship floor, vs putting it on rolling, lockable casters (my garage will barely hold the form as it is)?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Jim

The Tahoe is just smoother. It rides more like a modern car than an old sports car. it doesn't pound as much. I didn't bolt my frame down. But, you need to pull the chines and the shears against each other to keep anything from moving.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:58 pm

I can't compare the 2 because I have not been in a Monaco. I will say that my Tahoe rides really nice. The few who have been in it also loved the ride. I modified the plans with regard to seating, but 5 fit well. With 2 bench seats, I would guess 6 total, comfortably.

I didn't anchor my strongback, but I did weigh it down with a few hundred pounds of weights and I built evenly on both sides of the keel so it would have little chance of twisting.

kens

Postby kens » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:54 pm

I been watching this thread, and reading the comments.
The OP said " I’m thinking about my first build. Want a boat that won’t be overwhelming to undertake."
With that said, there is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between the 2 mentioned designs.
BOTH of them are cold mold for a first time builder.

the tumblehome nor power required to run it has anything to do with the OP.

'nuff said
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Jimrude

Postby Jimrude » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Brad Tucker wrote:I can't compare the 2 because I have not been in a Monaco. I will say that my Tahoe rides really nice. The few who have been in it also loved the ride. I modified the plans with regard to seating, but 5 fit well. With 2 bench seats, I would guess 6 total, comfortably.

I didn't anchor my strongback, but I did weigh it down with a few hundred pounds of weights and I built evenly on both sides of the keel so it would have little chance of twisting.

Brad - Thanks for the feedback. I had a chance to look at your FB page and your build thread here. Incredible! If I could achieve half of what you did, I would be extatic.

Based on your experience, do you think I could pull off a cockpit configuration like yours (two up front, bench behind) in a Tahoe 19?

Dave NZ

Postby Dave NZ » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:41 am

Hi there, this "almost finished" photo of my Tahoe utility - stretched to 20'6" may help with layout planning.
FYI - the rear seat cushion is sitting further out, the edge is much closer to the upstand when fitted properly.
Dave
Attachments
launch Day May 25-1.jpg

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:28 am

Thank you for the kind words! Yes, I think you could. It took a little thinking to do it but it wasn't too bad.

Jimrude

Postby Jimrude » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:31 am

Dave NZ wrote:Hi there, this "almost finished" photo of my Tahoe utility - stretched to 20'6" may help with layout planning.
FYI - the rear seat cushion is sitting further out, the edge is much closer to the upstand when fitted properly.
Dave

Dave - Thanks for this! Very helpful. Do you think it would be possible to fit the bench in front of the engine, as Brad did? Or is the area in front too small (based on a 19’ plan)?

5796263C-3377-49BB-B2DC-9360E28D9493.jpeg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:29 am

Jim

I could not fit the bench across the back behind the helm. I did put one long way down the other side.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:46 pm

I am going to have to agree with Bill. I apologize, as I had the 23' in mind. I don't think the 19 has enough room for 2 rows. If the cockpit is any shorter than in the 23, there wouldn't be enough leg room. The rear of the cockpit is limited by the engine. You can see that in Dave's picture as well. I seriously considered doing something similar to Dave's boat. After talking it over with the wife, we opted to do what we did. And now that both have slipped and fallen Enroute to the fantail, Dave's setup looks even better, and lessens the chance of a cracked rib! :shock: :lol:

Dave NZ

Postby Dave NZ » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Space is tight even with the stretched 19.

I’ll pull some actual measurements of my layout and draw them on the photo for you.

The mahogany veneer back rests are there because I wanted to use it as bracing. Also I realised I needed it for other reasons - I put in some fold down rear facing seats for the ski observer and that takes half the width, the rest is blower fans, FM radio, tank for heat exchanger coolant etc.

Let me know if you would like any other details.

Dave.

Jimrude

Postby Jimrude » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:38 pm

Dave NZ wrote:Space is tight even with the stretched 19.

I’ll pull some actual measurements of my layout and draw them on the photo for you.

The mahogany veneer back rests are there because I wanted to use it as bracing. Also I realised I needed it for other reasons - I put in some fold down rear facing seats for the ski observer and that takes half the width, the rest is blower fans, FM radio, tank for heat exchanger coolant etc.

Let me know if you would like any other details.

Dave.

Dave - Thanks, that’s really helpful. Anything you could share with me would be greatly appreciated!

How have you covered the engine? Do you have a thread here with your build?

Thx!

Return to “Power Boats”