Biss's Malahini Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Biss

Biss's Malahini Build

Post by Biss » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:24 am

Started my build last month, so I thought I'd post some updates. Got my lumber from Phillips Forrest Products over in TX. It is African Mahogany.
20180720_154916.jpg
African Mahogany lumber
Patterened and cut/planed the various frames. Since my lumber was 5/4, I planed to a full 1 in.
20180722_125543.jpg
Cut/planed frames
Built all the frames and building form. I used 3/8 Okoume for the gusset material. Was able to source marine ply locally at Little Rock Boat Builders Supply!
20180805_180943.jpg
Frames, stem, etc. on form

Biss

Re: Biss's Malahini Build

Post by Biss » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:35 am

Next I milled the keel, chines, shears and used scarf joints as required. Then laminated the keel with ply and began fitting the shear/chines. I actually used a reciprocating saw for the forward (frame 4) notch cutting which worked really well.

During the fitting of the chine, I used the full thickness so I did the the towel/hot water trick. Worked exactly as advertised!
20180809_204758.jpg
Towel/hot water chine bending
20180810_193903.jpg
Dry fit
After fitting everything, I removed the transome and glued it. After glue cured I reinstalled the transome to the building form and glued the shear, chine, and keel in place.
20180811_172345.jpg
Shear lamination glue up.
Next step appears to be fairing! Everything is going pretty good, thanks to the excellent plans and the wealth of info on this forum.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:01 am

Very nice work. You are moving along quickly.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Boytoy

Post by Boytoy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:43 pm

Looks great! :D

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:36 am

Thanks guys. I started faring the aft end of the boat yesterday. Did the easy stuff up to frame 4! It appears to get a little more complicated forward of that. Lots of good info on the forum to help, but if anyone has tips for faring frame 4 forward I'd be happy to hear them!

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:22 am

Wow, you've made great progress in a short time. And that's a great shop you have.
I highly recommend using battens to monitor your progress when fairing, for instance you could try long 3/4" square stock about 8-10 ft long or you can use a strip of 3/8" plywood about 2" wide and 8' long. Use it lengthwise on your hull framework and weigh it down in place or lightly clamp it to get a view of the bevel angles you want to fair the edges of the frames to. For the bottom, use the batten parallel to the keel, for the sides use it parallel to the sheer, working it in intervals along the frame edges. There won't be a constant bevel angle on the frame edges when you move from the keel to the chines or from chines to sheers, that's where the batten helps visualize it. Save the batten or strip for fairing your deck, lengthwise and across the hull.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:29 am

That is looking great!

Biss

Post by Biss » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:12 pm

Good advice, I have been using a straight edge and a strip of 3/8 ply for checking my work. I pretty much have the bottom side, chine to keel/stem roughed in. I used the Rabl method on the area forward of frame 4; seemed to work pretty well.

I think I will probably give my lungs a rest for a day or so before diving into the shear fairing! I have been wearing a dust mask, so i hope the inside of my lungs dont look like the inside of my shop! The angle grinder is quick, but makes a huge mess.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Sounds great and bravo for wearing a dust mask. It'll help keep your lungs from being irritated and keeps your sneezes from grossing out others.
I'm watching your build closely, I've been building a Malahini too, have a huge pile of parts and supplies waiting for me to assemble it.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:18 pm

I just saw the CNC and what looks like a wooden Clayton Boyer Clock in the back. Nice!!!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Biss

Post by Biss » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Good eye! Built the cnc and clock several years ago. The cnc is a Joe's 2006 diy design. Fun and capable little machine! The clock was a fun build too. Its not really practical as a time piece, but is cool to watch it operate! I also built a mechanical display that uses the grasshopper mechanism. Thats ever cooler to see operate; its on a shelf in my office. Sounds like you are familiar with the wooden clocks, have built one before?

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Very cool! I too built a Joes 4x4 CNC hybrid over a few years and completed it in 2013. I used it for a lot of fun stuff awhile ago and but I don't use it too much currently since I got my 150W laser that I use for 2D cuts for my Etsy side gig. I also started a Boyer clock (the Harmonic Oscilator) awhile with the CNC but didn't finish it (too many projects :) ) Maybe I'll get back to it when my boats are done :)

I am eager to see your boat take shape as your build progresses; you are making great progress!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:18 pm

Well, I think I'm pretty much done with faring the framework. Not my favorite part so far! My tools of destruction were a power planer, angle grinder, block plane, hand saw, reciprocating saw and RO sander! I should have had knee pads as well! Anyway I will be installing the transom knee next. the plans don't say anything about gluing, only bolts. Seems like it would be a good idea to epoxy and bolt.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Yeah you want glue on every joint boots or not.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Thanks Matt! Makes sense so I'll be gluing! Plan to fit and install tonight.

Return to “Power Boats”