Biss's Malahini Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

rbrandenstein

Re: Biss's Malahini Build

Post by rbrandenstein »

Looking very nice. This is bringing back lots of memories of my build, going through the same issues, questions, and resolution.
I was going to have hinged seats, back rest brackets, etc. In the end I did none of it. The seats just have a block of wood on the bottom to hold it in place. The back just rests on the seat and leans back into the supports. It stays in place while running, so I have never worried about adding some latching mechanism.

Also, not sure of your plans, but I would consider splitting the rear seat bottom into two panels. A bit easier to work with and you can get at one side while sitting on the other.

Evan

Post by Evan »

How did you decide how much to notch the strongback into the bow, it looks perfect.

Is it just a keep adjusting until it looks good type of thing?

Biss

Post by Biss »

Well, ideally the full size patterns would have created a perfect frame member that would only require fully notching the batten into the frame, but it was obvious that didn't happen for me. To make it correct, I pulled a string line across the bow at the frames and used the dimensions on the drawings to properly set the height of the strong back and deck battens.
Strongback/battens set proud of frames
Strongback/battens set proud of frames
My deck frames were significantly flatter than what the drawings show, probably due to errors aligning the two piece patterns. If I were to do this again, I would just verify the pattern alignment with the drawing dimensions before cutting out the frames!

You have a really good eye for catching that! :D

Biss

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

You had the perfect fix for your deck beam. I had a similar situation as you with respect to the patterns. When I laid out the half frame pattern and flipped it to lay out the other half, I found the deck curve wasn't fair or curved as well as I thought it should be. Frame 1 had what looked like a flat spot and frame 4 was a bit off too. I ditched the patterns (rolled up, back in the tube to stay) because they were just not close enough for me. Instead I drew the frames and transom full size on a sheet of plywood using the plan dimensions. I cheated and drew my Malahini in AutoCAD to get the deck beam heights I wanted based on a faired line from the tip of the bow to the frame 4 deck beam and the top of the transom without the motor cutout. Those three points from the plans and the faired line in AutoCAD defined the new height of the frame 1 deck beam (1-1/4" crown instead of 1-1/8"), the imaginary crown for frames 2 and 3, the crown for the dash and the deck beams forward of frame 4 (I'll be installing extra ones because I'll be using planks instead of plywood). I laid out the frame 1 and 4 deck beams using the method shown in the Glen L book and using battens. I got perfect arcs and was very happy with how they turned out.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Evan

Post by Evan »

The only reason I noticed is because that is the stage I am at. Before I checked the forum I was looking at it trying to figure out what to do :D

Biss

Post by Biss »

Evan, this forum has been a huge resource for me during my build. I'm glad i could give back just a little!

Bob,
I wanted to thank you for your comments as well. Your blog is a big reference for me as well. I have read through it multiple times. Anytime I get stumped, I go to your blog because it is easy to quickly find out how you did it! I do appreciate all the time you put in documenting your build. You created a beautiful boat!

Biss

footer

Post by footer »

I had problems here too. Full sheet plans would really be helpful here. Not sure if this is what your talking about, but I cut a longer taper on mine and planed the battens level with the strongbacks with a straight edge. I ended up with a little hump I need to fair at the bow.
My problem was when I got back to the dash, it was too low to line up with the battens and it didn't curve right to meet the outside edge of the hull. So I raised the dash and am adding a tapered shim on top of the carling to fill the gap for the plywood.
I cant say I'm doing it right, but it seems to be working. Lol
Attachments
P_20190210_190504.jpg

Biss

Post by Biss »

Been working on the interior for a little while now. I'm pretty please with how things are coming together. I've decided to just coat the interior surfaces with epoxy/varnish and not do any staining. The only stain (actually water based dye) will be used on the wide cover boards on the deck. The test samples look like it will give me a nice contrast. Anyway, I started applying epoxy to the interior and still have several more hours of doing that!
20190205_190548.jpg
20190210_153410.jpg

Biss

Post by Biss »

Been working on the boat, but you can't really tell by the pictures! Got the interior encapsulated, fuel tank platform mounted, dash/deck framing glued up, steering cable routed, shift/throttle control fitted and the all important drink holders placed. I also mounted usb/phone charging ports in the glove boxes. Unfortunately I'll need to revove everything before doing the final sanding/finish.

Got to pick up some more wood for the floorboards. Thinking of using ash. Anybody have comments regarding ash for the floors? What does it look like when epoxied? Any other woods I should consider?
20190225_185100.jpg
20190225_185034.jpg
20190225_185000.jpg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Your seat frames look very nice, cool curves too!
Matt B

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Very nice work! Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

footer

Post by footer »

Looking good, nice work. Putting it all together only to take it back apart, seems to be the name of this game. Only we as builders know the work that went into, what looks like a small step to others, but is a major milestone to us.
My experience with Ash is it finishes very similar to Maple. Light in color. I've never used it in a moisture rich environment, but it is a beautiful wood.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I used Ash accented with Mahogany bungs for my floor, nice and bright. Seal it up well and it will be fine. Downside is, it’s very heavy.
Matt B
Attachments
D69D4E23-C97A-41DA-B63A-40EAABA6B93F.jpeg

Biss

Post by Biss »

Thanks for the picture! I really like that look. I think it would probably go well with the maple accents I have in the dash. Regarding the weight, I am only putting down about 15 bf (50lbs or so). The floor is stopping at the front seats and there won't be any floor under the seat bottoms. I'm planning to pick the Ash up this weekend; hopefully it will turn out as nice as yours!

Thanks to the others for the comments as well.

Biss

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Biss, the boat is looking really nice. All your detail work is spot on. Going to be a nice interior for sure.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Power Boats”