Biss's Malahini Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

DrBryanJ

Re: Biss's Malahini Build

Post by DrBryanJ » Sun May 26, 2019 7:52 am

Biss: Do you have a plunge router and a collar to follow a pattern? IF so, I would make an mdf pattern of the hatch opening and use a router to cut out hatch.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun May 26, 2019 8:38 am

Nice effect with the multicolor decking. Very nice indeed. I can't offer any options for the deck hatch, but a template would seem to be a must to me.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

obd

Post by obd » Sun May 26, 2019 7:22 pm

Beautiful work! Check out George Redden's build photos for excellent aft hatchwork. I have had the privilege of seeing his boat in person and craftsmanship is impressive.

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Mon May 27, 2019 6:05 am

Hi Biss,

Beautiful job on the decking.

As for hatches and hinging, I, and others here, used Taco Intelli-Hinges for my hatches with no banding. These hinges articulate a bit left and right to allow non-flat hatches to open. Just Google the term and you will find a few places that carry them, last time I checked Glen-L didn't.

http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... &start=330

When I cut the hatch in my Squirt, I had framed up the hatch, skinned it with plywood, and temporarily fixed it in place. Then as I added deck planks I could simply cut through them with a fine dovetail saw. I rounded over the corners with a router after the hatch was cut free. Did you frame up any hatch openings before you started the decking? If not, aren't you concerned that the hatch will spring back flat once it is cut free? I would recommend framing up the opening and the hatch itself on the bottom of the deck so both will hold their shape. If you are going without hatch banding, I would use a saw to cut the hatches so you have narrow gap to start with. If you use a router, the smallest bit you can get is probably 1/8" and if you have any mishaps a router can do a lot of damage in a hurry. I would look into a fine tooth saber saw or hand saw. That is a beautiful deck, I'd hate to see it messed up.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon May 27, 2019 8:46 am

Thanks guys, I was thinking that the router method might leave to large a gap as well. I will probably just use a jig saw and sand everything smooth/flat after cutting it out. Regarding the door springing back flat, I was hoping that by having the laminated top with epoxy seams it would all remain in its shape. I'm planning to cut hatches on either side of the motor well. On the Malahini there is not a huge amount of crown in those areas now. Anybody else cut hatches without having framing underneath? It will not be fun trying to get additional structure on the underside of the deck now!!

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon May 27, 2019 8:53 am

A couple photos to show the areas on either side of the well. The hatch would start at about the darker plank and go out close to the coverboard. Maybe 8" wide aft and 10" wide forward. Lots of good storage there that I'd like access to!
20190518_173834.jpg
20190524_220810.jpg

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am

I can only add moral support here....I would really like to add hatches, but just not quite sure about how to go about it, without routing my way through the deck. I don't have much confidence in my ability to cut a decent line with a jigsaw. I will watch carefully to see how you take the plunge!

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Mon May 27, 2019 10:34 am

At a minimum, I would put a lip around the hatch opening to support it. Someone is going to step on it sooner or later. I would also recommend tying the lip into the carlings and sheers to make sure it can support the weight. Otherwise, all you'll have is the plywood deck supporting it since the decking will not add any strength across the deck or hatch.

There doesn't appear to be much curve in that area, so you may be ok as far as spring back. Once the hatch is cut out, it should be easier to add support.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Mon May 27, 2019 11:33 am

I cut my deck hatch out with a circular saw and finished the cut at the corner with a jig saw. Masked off the cut with blue tape and used a trim blade, worked out nice. Hatch is big enough so I can get in there to work on stuff.
Stainless deck trim covers up any imperfections nicely Lots of storage back there.
Matt B
Attachments
0C448FC8-0646-4D3C-B848-656858F94894.jpeg

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon May 27, 2019 1:57 pm

Guys, I really appreciate the ideas and advice. I plan to fit and glue the coaming pieces this afternoon, so I have another day or two before I get to the hatch cutting! Pretty scary cutting into deck after all the hard work trying to make it look nice!

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon May 27, 2019 6:47 pm

Got the coaming trim in place. Need to fill some cracks and do a little sanding/touchups, then encapsulate.
20190527_191738.jpg

footer

Post by footer » Tue May 28, 2019 3:13 am

Nice job on the caulking. What kind did you use? My build has come to a screeching halt as our summer rental cottage has taken precedence. Haven't gotten much done in weeks. I think you'll be in the water long before me. :)

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue May 28, 2019 3:38 am

Coaming trim adds a nice touch to the overall appearance. Nice job.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

billy c

Post by billy c » Tue May 28, 2019 5:42 am

Thats really coming together nicely. Great to see the beautiful colors and contrast of the wood under the epoxy.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Biss

Post by Biss » Tue May 28, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks fellas, the seam filler is SilverTip Epoxy mixed with Micro Balloons (spheres). Makes a really nice bright white seam.

Question, what size cleats are most folks using on this size boat. I'm planning to use the flip up kind in a 4.5" length, but got to thinking that 6" may be better...thoughts? More generally, what deck hardware should I be installing and where. I know I'll have nav lights and fuel fill port, but not exactly clear on the other cleats, etc.

Return to “Power Boats”