Biss's Malahini Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Biss

Re: Biss's Malahini Build

Post by Biss »

Picked up the ash Friday at a "local" hardwoods shop (in Little Rock, 2 hrs away). Milled everything yesterday, and spent most of the day today fitting the boards. I "borrowed" the 5"-2" w 1/2" spacing pattern from Josh, thanks! I'm just using countersunk ss deck screws that will remain exposed. Figured it would make it alot easier to remove if needed. Now I get to take it all back out and give it a good sanding then encapsulate/finish.

BTW, I understand why they make baseball bats out of this stuff; its crazy hard and dense.
20190302_165223.jpg
20190302_165236.jpg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I love it, skinny board next to a wide board looks super!
Matt B

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Nice Ash! :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

TomB

Post by TomB »

Well done. The alternating board width and contrast between ash and shadow is handsome. Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Biss

Post by Biss »

Thanks guys. I have to admit, I have been having alot of fun with the white ash jokes! Wife hasn't enjoyed it as much as me though...

footer

Post by footer »

I like the Ash. Nice contrast. I see you put panels on the sides too. Are those Ash as well? I'm doing a something similar covering my sides.

bstrong

Post by bstrong »

Looks great!! Got back from a needed vacation from this winter cold so looking to getting back into it. :D

Biss

Post by Biss »

Thanks, so the panels you see are going to be upholstered with some white channeling material. I have borrowed a sailrite sewing machine, and plan to do the upolstery myself! It will be several more weeks before i get to that though.

Been encapsulating those floorboards for the last two evenings.
20190303_151735.jpg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I bought a Sailrite machine last year, it’s great. You could sew 4 pair of blue jeans together in one pass. I save my upholstery work for the winter months, it’s very rewarding work.
Matt B
Attachments
5DA25AA0-CFFB-46E2-A5DD-064D3905C6F7.jpeg

Biss

Post by Biss »

Well, its been awhile since I posted, Been on spring break vacation with the family. Spent some time up in Colorado doing some snow skiing. We had a ball, and I survived without any broken bones...just sore muscles!

Got back Thursday night, so I got right back to doing some boat building😁. Before the break I sanded all the floorboards and yesterday/today I fabricated the bumpers with integrated swim platforms. I'm not convinced that the length is just right yet. I may end up shortening them by one board width. I think I'll wait until the motor is mounted before making any modifications though. Ill also need to make some aluminum or ss brackets to support the platforms.

While the glue was drying, I also worked on my trailer a little. The fenders and various other items needed to be banged out straight.

Lots of work has to happen if im going to get this in the water this summer!
20190323_184007.jpg
20190323_184120.jpg
Veneer on motorwell cutout
Veneer on motorwell cutout

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Rub rail into swim platforms, looks great. Very cool.
Matt B

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Very cool design. Looking at the rake of the transom, the length of the platforms look fine to be able to sit on them.

Your build looks very clean and well though out, don't rush just to get in the water in what is bound to be just one of many years enjoying this boat.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

footer

Post by footer »

I love the rub rails turning into the platforms, they look great. Definitely would put braces on them. Like Jimmy said, they look big enough to sit on, which has it's benefits. The veneer on the transom is a nice touch too.
I'm going on vacation down to Orange beach, so mine will be sitting too.
:)

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Way cool touch! For support some nice curved laminated braces in the same wood would look sharp?
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I like the swim platforms. It is the same idea that I had for my project. Looks like it will work well, so now I can put away my doubts about that design aspect.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Return to “Power Boats”