Biss's Malahini Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Hercdrvr

Re: Biss's Malahini Build

Post by Hercdrvr » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:24 pm

Very nice, now you have to crawl under to see your handy work.
Matt B

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:02 pm

Really sharp work, I'll be making notes for my Malahini build!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

footer

Post by footer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:44 am

Looking good. Glad you had better luck with your chines than I did.
This forum is great for info by some very experienced builders. If you enjoy watching long detailed videos; on youtube, Joshua Burks has over 50 videos called "Building the Zip", which is a Glen-l design similar to the Malahini. His series of videos have been watched by so many builders, he is sponsored. I found them very useful when I just didn't get it (which seems to be a lot, lol).
Keep the good work. :)

Biss

Post by Biss » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks, I have watched a few of those videos. They are really good! I have also looked at your build! It is coming along nicely!

Did you buy the fiberglass kit thru GlenL? Also what did you use for fairing compound?

Others please comment on what you used as well.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:59 pm

Fairing compound: I used regular epoxy and added phenolic micro balloons with a little wood flour. With mostly micro balloons it's much easier to sand.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 pm

I used some fairing compound from System Three called Quick Fair. The thing I like about it is that is can be sanded in about 3 hours.
It is also easy to work with.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:40 am

I tried several different things. Epoxy with wood flour: Didn't have to buy anything extra, but very hard to sand. Takes a long time to cure. Quick Fair: Sands nicely. Not cheap. Total Boat Total Fair: Also sands nicely (maybe a little easier than Quick Fair). Also not cheap. Liked Total Fair better because it mixes 1:1 instead of 2:1. Easier to get proportions right. Also because it's 1:1 you get a little more per order, and it is a little cheaper.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

footer

Post by footer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:51 am

Yes, I bought my system three silver tip kit from Glen-l for the Malahini. That way I figured I got everything I needed. I found the kit was just enough to finish the hull up to the flip. It's easy to work with and has relatively no smell. I did find it on Amazon and purchased more there. You can get both slow and fast cure. I found the fast cure worked great, but obviously, you have to work quickly with smaller areas. I also got some 3" wide fiberglass tape that worked great for wrapping my spray rails. It has a hem on the edges and doesn't fray when you work with it.
I used system three quick fair for fairing my bottom. It's great stuff. Works very similar to bondo, just a little harder. I used an 1.5" x 1.5" x 8' aluminum square tube to screed each side. I hand sanded it with a 4"x 8", 60grit sanding block. Then fiberglassed over it. It came out real smooth and flat.

Biss

Post by Biss » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:50 am

Thanks for all the info. I ordered some of the Total Fair to try. I'll be ordering the fiberglass and epoxy this weekend.

Biss

Post by Biss » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:46 pm

Its been awhile since I posted an update. I guess that's because I don't have much to report! I did receive the Total Fair and I have to say it is great stuff. It dries fairly fast and sands like a dream. So that is what I've been doing - filling holes, etc. and sanding. I finished filling/sanding this afternoon so I guess the next step is fiberglassing. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in commenting on my list of steps for doing the glassing. Based on my forum "research" some "prime" the ply with epoxy before applying the fiberglass...others do not! Doesn't seem that there are any hard fast rules but I'm sure there are some common steps that most follow. I sure would like to get some guidance before I proceed! The following is my plan:

1. Fill/sand all imperfections/screw holes, etc.
2. Round over all sharp edges (~1/4" radius)
3. Apply a coat of epoxy over entire hull (I am using SilverTip epoxy)
4. Glass bottom planking in two pieces
5. Feather edges as required (will be using the duct tape trick for sharp edges)
6. Additional coats of epoxy to fill weave
7. Glass the side planking in two pieces
8. Feather edges as required
9. Additional coats of epoxy to fill weave
10. Glass the transom
11. Feather edges as required
12. Additional coats of epoxy to fill weave
13. Sand.....then sand some more

Please tell me if I'm missing something or if the steps sould be done dirrerently.

Thanks! -Keith
Last edited by Biss on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Nope, that’s it. Now it’s time to get sticky.
Matt B

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks Matt.

I put a coat of epoxy over the entire hull yesterday and put the first piece of fiberglass on tonight.
20181015_160655.jpg
20181015_171530.jpg

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:05 pm

Wow, you have made great progress!

I may have missed it above; but what is the "Duct tape trick?

Will you be adding additional epoxy coats in the morning to ensure a chemical bond of the epoxy to the previous layer before it amine blushes?

I am still scared of glassing my sailboat :shock: so I appreciate all the great info.

Thanks for the great pics!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

footer

Post by footer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:37 am

Looking real good. I'm curious too about the duct tape trick? So, do you go back and cut along the top edge of the duct tape, using it as a straight edge, then pull it up and it takes all the rough edges up with it, so you have a straight line?
My edge was a tragedy, lol. I thought I could fix it later, but it's real difficult once it's hard.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:04 am

That's exactly what the duct tape trick is, using the edge of the tape as a cutting line. You let the epoxy cure until it's just stiff enough that cutting it with a utility knife won't lift the fiberglass. I let it get to tacky meaning you can make a thumprint in the resin but it doesn't come off on your skin.
In my experience with epoxies, you can overcoat up to 24 hours and have a good chemical bond.
Good luck Biss, it looks great!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Power Boats”