Biss's Malahini Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Sarnian

Re: Biss's Malahini Build

Post by Sarnian »

Looks great! We're at about the same spot - although I started 6 months before you! Great progress.

Biss

Post by Biss »

Got the opportunity to do some work on the boat this week. Got the carlings, dash, and deck framing in place (only the carling glued). Also started the motor well and installed the longitudinals. I stopped short on the longitudinals because I plan to drop the floorboards down between frames 3 and 4. I'm 6'4" so thought I could use the extra room! I've enjoyed the opportunity to cut and fit wood again! Short lived, because I need to start encapsulating pretty soon!

I guess I need to start thinking about an outboard, fuel tank, steering, and gauges soon. I'm planning to put the tank up front to allow for some extra storage room behind the back seat and maybe provide better balance. Anybody have any comments regarding the forward placement of the fuel tank on the Malahini? Seems like that would be a good place for it!
20181201_165824.jpg
20181201_165923.jpg
20181201_170238.jpg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Simon Ford has the tank forward on his Malahini, works fine. Mine is aft and works fine too. Being a family / water sports boat for us, I tend to like lots of storage under the bow for quick access to all the “stuff”. For whatever reason, getting into the rear hatch while on the water is more of a hassle with kids, dog, cooler, etc...
Really is builders choice on this one. Lots of different tank sizes and shapes to get creative with. What size engine are you considering?
Matt B

Biss

Post by Biss »

I've been looking at 60hp 4 strokes (mercury, approx 260lbs) and 90 hp 2 stroke (etec, approx 320lbs). Do you have any recommendations on size or brand? Thanks for the thoughts on the tank, I hadn't thought about storing stuff under the bow. I was actually thinking of building a bracket and placing the tank above and forward of frame 4.

Keith

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Keith

My thoughts on engines... First: Look around the dock and see what brands are most popular. Second: Look around and see how many places service those engines. The mechanics that I've talked with recommend E-tec for 2-stroke. Yamaha is a high rated 4-stroke. Many on the AL gulf coast are going to Suzuki. Suzuki is getting good reviews and a little less expensive than the Yamaha.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Above and forward of frame 4 is a great idea. Moeller makes a 19 gallon tank that would fit nicely up front. I run an older 2 stroke 90 Yamaha (256lbs), plenty of power. Anywhere in the 60-90hp is a good fit for a Malahini.
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/moeller ... gIApvD_BwE
Matt B
Attachments
31E318D9-9B21-4720-A1B8-07AB0E3681DD.jpeg

bstrong

Post by bstrong »

Keith,
I was also looking at placing the tank more forward, I thought it would help with getting on plane. I am a long way from that so I can't wait to see what you come up with. John

Biss

Post by Biss »

Bill and Matt thanks for the advice! I like the idea of the 4 stroke, but they seem to get heavy when you get to 75hp+. I've been hearing alot of good things about the etecs too. I'm hoping to keep the motor budget around $5k so Ill be looking for a good used late model. Do you think I'd be good with 60hp pulling the kids around the lake on skies or tube. I probably shouldn't admit it, but I've skied behind a 35hp on a flatbottom when I was a tad bit younger!

Matt, I agree that wedge tank would probably fit nicely!

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I just put a 90 Etec on my Geronimo. I couldn't be happier. No break-in period. No oil changes. Lower unit oil only needs to be changed every three years. Auto-winterization (which you may not need in Arkansas). It's probably a little bit louder at idle than the four strokes. A 60 hp would be good on a Malahini too.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

60hp would be fine for water sports pulling kids. Prop it for hole shot and it will pop on plane quickly and you’d only give up a couple mph at the top end. Im not sure if a 4 stroke 60hp actually uses any fuel, they go for days on a tank of gas. If your budget is $5000 then you’re in the slightly used market. Getting a top condition used engine is more important than getting the exact HP model you were dreaming of. My ego had to have a 90hp on a similar $5000 budget and I’m paying the price in idle quality, high fuel consumption, noise, oil burn, etc...
Matt B

Biss

Post by Biss »

Guys, I really appreciate the responses! Very helpful. BTW, I took some measurements of the proposed tank location on the Malahini and the wedge tank Matt suggested will fit perfectly. Almost looks like it was made for this boat! Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions.

footer

Post by footer »

Biss; Your quite the craftsman. Your moving along fast and looks great.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Biss: I remember there was a malahini owner in GA that tried to use the wedge tank under the bow. He gave up because he didn't have enough room for the filler neck and sold the tank. If you don't mind the filler being more towards the center of the boat it may work. I am using that tank on my malahini, but with the deeper vee bottom, fitting is no issue. I think this was the post by JeffH
I mounted my tank in the bow. Because of the inner hull, you'll have to build a platform to raise it a bit so it does not hit the inner hull. Because of that the 12 gallon tank is the way to go. I had the larger 19-gal Moeller tank and it was just too tall. Like you, I wanted my deck fill more to the side and I mounted it on the port side. With the 19-gal tank up there running the really thick Coast Guard approved filler hose requires a few elbows and all I could find were 90-degree elbows. It was a nice neat installation with one problem...it would not fill. The fuel splashed right back out onto the deck and me.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Biss

Post by Biss »

Bryan,

I took some measurements, and he is exactly right! Only about 10-12" of headroom to get the fill tube in place. I'm not up on the uscg rules, but I could possibly fabricate the fill tube from copper and just used a small piece of the rubber hose as a coupling between the tank/pipe and pipe/deck hardware. Thay way I could use some 45s that might help the fuel flow into the tank alittle better. I appreciate you pointing out this issue!

Biss

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Biss...if you figure out the fuel tank issue let me know! - I definitely want to put a tank far forward and this seemed like a good solution.

Return to “Power Boats”