First build: Nomad

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

NomAndy

First build: Nomad

Postby NomAndy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:22 pm

Got the plans in the mail about a week or so ago for the Nomad. Been studying them every night trying to make some sense of it all.

Looking to start the build sometime this fall and work through the winter. I have about a million questions before I even get started so I’m sure that list is going to grow once I jump in.

Haven’t seen any posts on the forum from Nomad builders. Are there any Nomad builders out there? Which Glen L design most closely matches the Nomad if no one builds those anymore. I fell in love with the lines of the Nomad on the Glen L site so that’s the one I got.

Also, getting a little ahead of myself being that the boat isn’t even started yet but...I have a 40 horse outboard sitting around and I’m wondering if that’s gonna be enough to plane the Nomad.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Andrew

hoodman

Re: First build: Nomad

Postby hoodman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Andrew, welcome to the forum! I don't know why the Nomad is not a more popular design. I suspect that if someone made a nice example of one for the modern day it could spur others to give it a shot. I think it looks great. However, there are not too many Glen-l designs that I just don't like.

It appears to be similar to the Sea Knight/Geronimo hull with a differently shaped stem. It even has the similar hogged sheer. Just know that all the sheet plywood boats share the same basic construction methods so we can all help each other even if we built a different design.

I'd bet a 40 hp outboard would plane a Nomad but maybe not a fully loaded one with passengers. I'd be looking at trading up to something with a little more oomph.

NomAndy

Postby NomAndy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:48 am

Thanks for the info! I thought a 40 might be on the small side. I have a 14’ 71 Glastron with a 70 Evinrude on it and it seems overweight(sits very low in the stern). I just want to make sure I don’t screw this one up.

Are there any other options besides epoxy to adhere everything together? I’ve heard of some people using polyurethane glue, but I’m not sure of the disadvantages. If epoxy is cut and dry the way to go then that’s what I’ll do, I’m still trying to learn if there are areas that I don’t need to spend as much money on. My guess is epoxy is not one of them.

Thanks again sir!

NomAndy

Postby NomAndy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:45 am

NomAndy wrote:Thanks for the info! I thought a 40 might be on the small side. I have a 14’ 71 Glastron with a 70 Evinrude on it and it seems overweight(sits very low in the stern). I just want to make sure I don’t screw this one up.

Are there any other options besides epoxy to adhere everything together? I’ve heard of some people using polyurethane glue, but I’m not sure of the disadvantages. If epoxy is cut and dry the way to go then that’s what I’ll do, I’m still trying to learn if there are areas that I don’t need to spend as much money on. My guess is epoxy is not one of them.

Thanks again sir!

I see I posted this in the wrong section

Return to “Power Boats”