Tahoe 23 engine/transmission

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Jimbob

Re: Tahoe 23 engine/transmission

Post by Jimbob » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:02 am

What’s this winterization thing y’all are talking about? I don’t think we have that in Florida.
If the temperature drops below 32 degrees, you need to worry about winterization. I found that out the hard way.

I had a 5.7 mercrusier in my previous boat. I didn't winterize the motor being in California. One year we got a hard freeze and it cracked the block and one of the exhaust manifolds. I had to have the engine re-built with a new block.
This is what you need to do in winter. Open the petcocks on the block and exhaust manifolds and drain the water out. Disconnect the water hoses and let them drain. Spray rust inhibitor through the carburetor until the engine dies.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:21 am

Not sure how serious he was with the question Jim, but I think frozen OJ was invented in FL. If he hasn't heard of winterization, he probably doesn't have snow shoe mount on the boat trailer. :D :D

Tom

kens

Post by kens » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Winterization is just a easy dumb way of replacing manifolds, motor blocks, water pumps, et. al.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Power Boats”