Bob's Geronimo - help please corrosion issue

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

Bob's Geronimo - help please corrosion issue

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Howdy folks, so I'm getting ready to finally take the boat on a one week trip in a couple days, and one of the tail light/turn signals doesn't work and a couple of running lights. Going to get bulbs, but guess what these new trailer lights you don't change the bulb, you change the whole unit and they ain't cheap but the guy says they rarely go out. Brand new galvanized trailer and so far 13 outings, 12 in salt water. Anyway, no corrosion on the trailer but for some reason, the trailer co. used electrical connectors with the tabs broke off for washers, and all the connections have corrosion on them because these make-shift washers corroded..
So before I go buy anything I'm brushing down all the connections with baking soda and re-connecting everything. No idea why the mfr would use these cut-off electrical connectors (like ring-tabs).
My question - what would you suggest if anything to coat these connections with given I use it in saltwater, and would the coating conduct okay - I'm thinking just wet it all down with wd40 but that would wash right off. Thanks for any help! Bob

ps, picture was at the low point of my build, when I saw how far out the plywood template arched out from the frames - think I sent this in to the forum for help but people just didn't know what to say :lol:
Attachments
runabout 048.jpg
for your amusement or encouragement!
Bob

DrBryanJ

Re: Bob's Geronimo - help please corrosion issue

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Bob: can you get heat shrink over the connection? If not, maybe liquid electrical tape would work?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Ah, boat trailer lights, the gift that keeps on giving. Unplug the lights before you dunk them in the water, something about the hot bulb and the cold water dont play well together.
I say to heck with how lighting has to be legally mounted and mount my lights up high so they never get submerged.
Matt B
Attachments
DEA6A941-912A-412F-967A-4D63078A0F09.jpeg
9E14C0E6-BD97-4BC2-8D36-72902AF9CC93.jpeg

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Bob, I'm confused by what you mean about the washers. Where are those used?

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi Bob,
I make sure you have a good electrical connection, and then coat the connectors with silicone glue, and then wrap the whole thing with electrical tape while the silicone is still wet. I did this for years, anytime I made an outdoor sprinkler connection, nothing ever got to the connection.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

R1200rme

Postby R1200rme » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:09 pm

I use "Locktite" brand Dielectric tune up grease and lots of it. I will typically take the lens off couple times a season and make sure the grease is still good.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:12 am

+1 on the dielectric grease.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:41 am

Thanks a lot guys. Liquid electrical tape, dielectric grease (is that conductive?), good ideas. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. As you know there's one hot wire to the light and the trailer is the ground. So what you have is the center bolt of the light makes ground contact with the trailer. The lock nut is on the inside of the metal step. You need a washer, it goes on the lamp's bolt on the outside of the metal step.. It looks like on all lights they used an electrical connector with the crimp tab cut off for washers. I suspect they did this because it would conduct better than a stainless washer. whatever.
There was lots of white corrosion on the lights' ground connectors, also in the cannon plug to the truck on just one contact. So after cleaning everything up, scuffing with 3M pad and squirting wd40 on it, all the lights work now except for the two running lights at the right wheel. I got two new ones I'm putting on now, these have no bulbs (LED's ?) and the guy says they shouldn't fail so soon.
So was thinking of a non-corrosive and conductive material for screwing it back on and corrosion protection? Thanks, Bob
Bob

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:43 am

forgot pic
Attachments
DSCF0092.JPG
Bob

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Yeah that looks weird. I would rather have stainless washers.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Yes, well maybe they ran out of washers; I thought maybe that junction needs to be a good ground and maybe the ss is a poor conductor but then if they were that smart they wouldn't put it on a galvanized trailer. Making a mountain out of a mole hill! Long as they work for my trip. It's a maintenance thing. Bob
Bob

billy c

Postby billy c » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:28 pm

That is a Keps nut ...a nut with free spinning washer. No need for a separate washer. Throw out the makeshift one they added
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Is that corrosion from dissimilar metals and salt-water?
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Return to “Power Boats”