Must have Tools

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bstrong

Must have Tools

Post by bstrong » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:59 am

Hi,
I am getting ready to start a Mahalini, I am still in the prepping mode. I have built a bullet a couple of years ago but was on a budget and rushed through it, I built the whole thing with a jig saw, screw gun, and a belt sander. I plan on taking my time and have more funds this time to do it right.

Right now I have the tools listed above plus a table saw and the usual screw drivers, levels, squares, ect. My shop is not huge 12 x 24, I plan on stocking up on clamps in the next couple of weeks also.

What other power tools should I think about looking for to make the build go easier?

Thanks, John Fletcher, Villas NJ
PS- you can see my Bullet photos on glen-l site

billy c

Re: Must have Tools

Post by billy c » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:16 am

John
This works well for truing many of the pieces you cut with your saw and doesn't break the bank
Billy
Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 10.14.44 AM.png
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

TomB

Post by TomB » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:19 am

Plus one on the Ridgid Sander. While you're clamp shopping be sure to grab a bunch of these, they're like extra hands that don't get tired.
ANVIL 2 in. Spring Clamp-99691 - The Home Depot.jpg
Tom

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:26 am

:D Thanks I will look into that sander!

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:54 am

Nice job on the bullet, John. The Ridgid sander will definitely make things easier. I have a 12" JET disc sander and I wouldn't be without it. Another must-have tool in my shop is my 14" band saw. If you don't want to buy new, check your local ads and garage/estate sales. You can find some real bargains that usually only need some TLC (tires, guides and a nice blade). I also relieved our local Harbor Freight of all 2" C-clamps. They blow these things out for something like $1.99 each and every time I went in there for something I'd grab another bunch of clamps. I think I have about 60 of them, and an equal number of 4" C-clamps. The spring clamps suggested by Tom are also highly recommended. Clamps don't eat or go bad, so having too many of them is a good thing.

Mark Shipley
One Zip, two Can-Yaks, what's next?
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:12 pm

A good set of hand tools is important. Chisels, hand planes, and layout tools. A decent Home Depot grade set of chisels with a good polishing and sharpening will help clean up the joints and notches for the frames. I have used two types of planes with sharp edges, a No. 5 Jack for removing wood in a hurry, and a low angle block plane for cross-grain work. These help with fairing and cleaning up edges as well as cleaning scarf joints. Layout tools besides combination and builder's squares, measuring rules etc. should include a bevel square, dividers, and trammel points to make a beam compass for drawing large radius curves. Battens are important, you can buy some long pieces of square stock of various lengths, like 10 to 16 ft 3/4 x 3/4, 6 ft 1/2x1/2, and 3-4 ft 3/8x3/8, as straight as you can get. Battens are used for marking long faired lines like on the chines or the sheers.
For power tools, the above suggestions are great. I would add a multi tool saw too:.
https://www.harborfreight.com/power-too ... 63111.html
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:33 pm

:D Thanks for the advise, will look into hand tools and also I have a hand planer, should I look into a power planer?

tysman52

Post by tysman52 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:41 pm

In addition to what has been mentioned, I found a power hand planer to be helpful. Especially for fairing. I have a porter cable that did great. Also heavy grit belt sander for fairing...
A nice table saw would be tool number one. I bought a nice Sawstop 10". Band saw, jig saw, multitasker, sawzall, router all used frequently.
When it comes close to finishing, I found 6" sanding disks on the porter cable polisher/random orbital to give a better finish than my bosch 5" disc ROS. I know people like the festool sanders. I didn't find out about them until the end of my build so I didn't spring for one. They are pricey but nice.

Good luck!

JT

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:01 pm

:D Thanks for all the advise, I will be using the combined knowledge and experience of this forum many times throughout my build. As soon as I have my ducks in a row I will order the plans. I am ordering the fastening kit through glen-l. I was also thinking about the building with plywood book but was wondering how helpful it would be to me having 1 boat already under my belt? Thanks again!!!! John

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:21 am

I highly recommend getting the Boatbuilding with Plywood book because it's an excellent reference. You'll also find that several chapters use photos of a Ski Tow build as examples of the process. The Ski Tow is a slightly shortened (15 ft.) version of the Malahini. Or maybe the Malahini is a lengthened Ski Tow... either way the book covers everything you'll need to know for your build from layout to frame assembly to fairing and planking. The hardware kit is a great idea, and it's a best value for the types and quantities you need. Better yet, the kits usually come with the Frearson driver bits you need. The silicon bronze screws may look like Philips heads but they are not, and regular Philips bits will strip out the Frearson screw heads. Ask me how I know.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:53 am

John, I'm also building a malahini. I have very limited power tools. a router and a trim router, belt sander, circular saw, jigsaw, power plane, chop saw and an oscillating saw. Oh yeah, I also have drills. One corded and two cordless, one of which is impact (very useful for driving bronze screws). I think this has significantly slowed my build, but I am getting by. I have renter a table saw twice. I think I would like a band saw and a larger variable speed sander. I was going to suggest you come by to see my build, but when I looked were Villas is, I don't think we could be further apart and still be in NJ. You are definitely welcome to come by if you want to make the drive. (If you fly, I'm only a mile from Lincoln Park Airport (N07)).
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:26 pm

Incase you have not seen it there is a whole tool section Here

I love my Festool Sander and a Fein Multimaster posted Here
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:22 am

Thanks to all, should be ready in a month or so to order the plans and start the journey. :D

Return to “Power Boats”