MI Malahini Build, Post Flip.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

footer

MI Malahini Build, Post Flip.

Post by footer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:29 am

So, this is a continuation of my original post, Malahini Chine Bending". It's a new Chapter in building the Malahini for me, so I figured I'd start a new post.
11/3/2018
Attachments
IMG_5143[1].JPG
Malahini; Ripped and mocked up the carlings and deck battens and supports.
IMG_5136[1].JPG
Malahini: modified trailer. still have a few details to finish up, but almost done.
IMG_5092[1].PNG
Malahini; Finishing the flip. Wife and I did it together.

footer

Re: MI Malahini Build, Post Flip.

Post by footer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:09 am

Getting pieces cut and fitted and ready to start epoxying and screwing in place. Installing flooring battens and ply braces.
Attachments
IMG_5147[1].JPG
Malahini: 11/7/18 getting the bow decking fitted.
IMG_5146[1].JPG
Malahini; 11/7/18 getting parts fitted in place to start epoxying and screwing together.

Biss

Post by Biss » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:36 am

Footer,

It's looking good. This is the point where my mind started to wander a little! There are a lot things to be done and very little instruction as to what and how!! It starts to get serious because you need to really have the motor/tank, controls, gauges, etc so you can continue to make forward progress. I will likely purchase all the before mentioned items after the first of the year, so I'm in a bit of a pause, other than interior layout, and I'd really like to have the steering in place before I do that. Since we are basically at the same point of construction, I have been closely watching! Looks like you are doing a great job!

Biss

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:09 am

Footer, it looks really nice. I'm at this part of the build as well. I'm sure you guys will blow right past me though. It is hard to decide what to do next.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:09 pm

DrBryanJ wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:09 am
Footer, it looks really nice. I'm at this part of the build as well. I'm sure you guys will blow right past me though. It is hard to decide what to do next.
Believe me, I've been doing this for over 2 years now (post flip stuff, I mean). My best friend and tool in this endeavor has been punch lists. I started by listing out everything possible I could think of to do on the interior without making any judgements on on the task(i.e. wether it was desirable, necessary, or even relevant).

Then I organized it and reevaluated it a few times. A word processor is essential here since the list will be re-ordered during this process. Organization and re-evaluation helps to remember additional things you didn't think of initially. It also helps to wean out things that maybe are not a concern. It also helps to list things like, "Buy" 14AWG wire for wiring dash" or "Buy 1 pint of white bilge paint". Eventually you get to a point where a plan comes together.

Revisit the list on a regular basis to cross off items and to add new ones when you think of them.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:53 pm

Carl: I'm afraid to make a punch list yet. It would be soooo long I'd get depressed! Better to live in denial. :lol: :lol:
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:13 pm

Really nice! Keep up the good work !
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:33 am

I've always really liked the teal paint in contrast with the wood. Nice job on the build. Thanks for the update!

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:05 am

Agreed! Im a big fan of that color, too... especially contrasted against wood with a nice reddish hue to it.

Looks great, Footer! Keep up the good work!
-Michael

"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly

Blog (Utility & Zip): http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:14 pm

Congratulations on the flip! It looks great!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

footer

Post by footer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:59 am

Thanks y'all. I let my wife pick the bottom color so she felt involved. I painted the sides brown because I botched them so bad, I covered it with brown paint (I stained a piece of the ply with red mahogany stain and took it to the local paint house and they matched it with their computer). I'm happy with how it turned out.
I know what you guys are saying about what to do next. I find myself standing there engineering in my head and getting nowhere with the work.
I do enjoy seeing your builds and how they are coming. I have also gone through all the Blog build photo's of Malahini's. So many imaginative builders out there, not to mention they have answered a few questions with their successes in their pictures. There are so many variables you can do from this point.
So far, I bought a steering wheel. So, I guess it's time to start buying the rest of the mechanical's too.
Keep up the good work guys. :)
Attachments
IMG_5154[1].JPG
Malahini: 11/10/2018

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:41 pm

You had me fooled that the sides were finished bright until you mentioned painting them!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Biss

Post by Biss » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:25 am

I was thinking the same thing!! The sides match the wood color very well! So what type of paint did you use? I was thinking about using something other than WRLPU for the sides so I can get a better finish.

Biss

footer

Post by footer » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:22 am

Thanks Guys. I'll have to go back and check what brand the paint was and let you know. All three colors are a two part epoxy I got from my local paint supplier (Douglas and Sons in Kalamazoo). It's supposed to be a gloss finish, but turned out more Satin. I rolled it on with a 4" roller and it went on real nice, kind of thick. It had a few little white chips in it (not sure why), so i would recommend screening it. I clear coated over it to get the finish (that's rolled on too).

footer

Post by footer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:32 am

So, this is the two part epoxy brown paint I used (the same type of paint as the Teal and White). It's made by Krylon called Pal Gard. It's easy to work with. Although it's gloss, it finished out Satin. It has good UV protection.
The Pitthane Ultra gloss is a two part urethane made by PPG. Rolls on like crap. It's thick, creates millions of tiny bubbles that don't go away. It hardens nice, but hard to sand out the bubbles. It's also VERY strong smelling and apparently is carcinogenic. You can use Xylene to thin it with. I haven't tried that yet, but its supposed to smooth out better.
This roller I used, 4", 3/8" nap, microfiber, worked better than the foam and shorter finer nap rollers I tried. I wet sanded between coats and it came out pretty good.
The final finish is Masters Spar Urethane. There was a lot of humidity in the air when I rolled it, so it took quite a while to cure between coats (3). Not really what I want to finish the bottom with, hope it holds up. I do have a lift, so it won't be sitting in the water all the time.
Attachments
IMG_5187[1].JPG
4" Micro fiber 3/8" nap. Works better than a shorter finer nap and foam rollers.
IMG_5185[1].JPG
Two part epoxy brown paint and Pithane Ultra Gloss Clear Urethane
IMG_5186[1].JPG
Two part epoxy paint by Krylon; Pal Gard

Return to “Power Boats”