MI Malahini Build, Post Flip.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

footer

Re: MI Malahini Build, Post Flip.

Post by footer » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:31 am

Bending windshield frames. I made the pattern from 3/8" ply and over compensated for the bend, top and bottom, lined the edges with silver furnace tape, clamped them down, heated them until they almost blued, then let them cool. They came out almost perfect.
Now I have to notch the top and bend it down for the sides.
Attachments
IMG_5829.JPG
Tops an bottoms of windshield frames
IMG_5826.JPG
Bending windshield frame
Last edited by footer on Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:38 am

Please keep posting pictures of what you’re doing there, interesting. Windshields are one of those parts that take way more time and effort than I expected.
Matt B

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:11 pm

I love what you have done with your build. Excellent craftsmanship, and a ton of great ideas. Not to mention that you've done a wonderful job of documenting what you've done for the rest of us.

Could you please say a bit more about what you did your windshield brackets. I'm interested in two things. First, what kind of metal stock did you start with? Second, how did you heat the stock?

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:07 pm

Your build is looking great. I am also interested in how you made those windshield brackets.

footer

Post by footer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:05 am

Thanks. I purchased the U-channel sold from "crlaurence.com" (you have to purchase it through your local class company that carries it). It's used as framing for like showers. It's polished stainless and a bit pricey, but perfect for what I wanted to do with it.

I used a piece of my 3/8" ply and cut it to the dimensions I wanted for the actual glass, then over compensated the arches by 1/2" on the ends. I put silver furnace tape around the edges to keep from burning the wood (It works pretty good).
So, I fitted the channel over the ply and clamped it down to the wood to force the bend. Then I used my acetylene torch with the cutting head (just for more heat) and went back and forth heating it slowly until it looked like it was about to blue (don't worry if you do blue it a little as you can polish it out with a buffing wheel and white stick polish). Then let it cool all the way. When you unclamp it, it will spring back a little (why you over compensate the arch). Ended up almost perfect to my needs.

The side panels I purchased from Alro steel (a structural steel supply house). They were drops I picked off the shelf (better price).
I bought a plasma torch a while back from Harbor Freight and it worked great for cutting out the side panels.
After cutting, I polished the cut with a 4.5" fiber wheel I used on my little angle grinder. It's specifically designed for cleaning up stainless, that I bought from my local welding supply warehouse (Airgas). Works fantastic. You can shape and contour with it and it doesn't leave deep scratches. Now I have to work on polishing them out to a chrome looking luster.

The channel I bought was the 3/8"w x 5/8"h polished stainless Cat#: SAC38PS98
Attachments
IMG_5867[1].JPG
This is the product i used. 3/8"w x 5/8"h Polished stainless steel U-channel.
IMG_5865[1].PNG
This is the side plate I make out of 3/32" stainless (not sure of the type).

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Thanks for the details, footer.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

footer

Post by footer » Mon May 06, 2019 4:03 am

In the past two weeks I've gotten very little done as we've been doing all our spring cleaning and summer prep, as well as celebrating my daughters graduation from college and this past weekend, getting married and entertaining out of state guests.
But, I was able to to at least start on my windshield frame.
Attachments
IMG_5881[1].JPG
Making my stainless windshield frame.
IMG_5880[1].JPG
Making my stainless windshield frame

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon May 06, 2019 5:38 am

Looking good footer. You are moving along nicely. Life always seems to get in the way.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue May 07, 2019 4:20 pm

I like that windshield. Very creative.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue May 07, 2019 5:26 pm

looks really great. Congratulations on many fronts!

footer

Post by footer » Mon May 20, 2019 4:13 am

My windshield is coming along Very Slowly. A little more problematic than I originally anticipated, but I'm making progress. Everything has to be custom made, then polished.
Also making the front top eye hook and nose plate.
Attachments
IMG_6007[1].JPG
Adding in blind stainless T-nuts the hold the frame together and to hold the frame to the side brackets. Also working on the front eye hook and plate.
IMG_5996[1].JPG
Making the L-bracket to hold the bottom section to the rest of the frame.
IMG_5958[1].JPG
Windshield mocked up.

footer

Post by footer » Mon May 20, 2019 4:20 am

My wife brought in the old paddle boat I bought her last fall and busted butt getting it personalized for just for her.
I don't have a before picture, but it was really dirty and faded. She scrubbed it all down, made her little vinyl letters and bee's, and coated it with spar urethane.
Attachments
IMG_6002[1].JPG
Queen Bee
IMG_6005[1].JPG
Queen Bee

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 am

Man, I really need to get better about keeping up with the forum. All these beautiful builds and I am missing out. Footer, your Malahini looks great. Really nice work on the windshield frame and cockpit edging. Thanks for posting the details about the windshield frame work.

And tell your wife, great job on the paddle boat.. A nice alternative when you want a relaxing day on the water.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon May 20, 2019 4:37 pm

Nice paddle boat! "Queen Bee" - Awsome!

footer

Post by footer » Tue May 28, 2019 3:50 am

Been so busy with everything except my build. We bought a cottage last fall for summer rental and have been concentrating on getting it ready for the season. Lot's of stone walls to pressure wash the years of neglect off. Still have the deck and some more walls to do.
We did manage to get the Queen Bee in the water this weekend though.
Our water levels are so high this year that our dock is at the top of it's stanchions and is floating. With the pontoon tugging and pushing at it, it moved out 5"and over about a foot. I had to get some gear out and pull it back into place.
So, I hope to get back to work on the boat soon. My motor is supposed to be done in another week and I have to take the boat over to him and he will mount it and hook it up for me, so there's that.
Attachments
IMG_6051[1].JPG
Pulling the dock back in.
61199657_10214730435359943_7063994323037061120_n.jpg
Queen Bee and the kids loving it.
IMG_5947[1].JPG
Rental cottage.

Return to “Power Boats”