MI Malahini Build, Post Flip.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: MI Malahini Build, Post Flip.

Post by mrintense »

Nice work on the cutwater and transom bands. Those always lend a nice touch to wooden boats.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

looks fantastic! - are you taking orders for cutwaters now? Let me know where to send my request. My welding started off well - but ended in disaster...havent added that bit to my story yet :mrgreen:

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Very nice work. Wish I knew how to weld.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Looks awesome!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

footer

Post by footer »

Thanks guys. I finally got to the point in my life where I could by my own TIG, but my hands are no longer steady and my eyes strain to see through bifocals. So, it was challenging for me.
To avoid warping, I welded them in place, but had to run short beads. Even at that, there were a couple of points the paint and epoxy behind it caught fire. But, with enough sanding, I was able to make it look ok.
I polished the metal first, cut out the patters with a plasma torch, fitted and drilled them to the boat, polished them again, then welded , and started the whole process again.
There are videos on YouTube on polishing stainless to a mirror finish. It does work, but it’s not a quick as they make it look.
Attachments
2D58C935-BC2C-415A-8CFC-FABA831995F9.jpeg
EE5D61E4-4B0A-469B-AC0A-F8DB7A9D8D60.jpeg
B01D87A0-D485-46D4-934F-B7BB7C7F4228.jpeg

acflynn

Post by acflynn »

Very impressive! And that was before you showed the secret sauce - 7,000 grit? Whoa!
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

footer

Post by footer »

So, I found two problems with my lighting placement. I placed my forward nav light too close to my windshield ( because I thought it looked cool there) which glared badly on the windshield. I also bought blue lighted switches which are very bright at night. Between the two, it destroys my night vision.
So, I moved my nav light forward and am looking into a shield to block the blue lights on the switches. I put a docking light where my nav light was to cover the holes.
Attachments
New placement with my docking light in front of the windshield.
New placement with my docking light in front of the windshield.
28CF1FE6-D591-4E5D-98D8-6C7EAB3DE164.jpeg
Original placement of nav light. Caused lots of glare on the windshield. (Sorry, didn’t get a pic with the light on and the glare).
Original placement of nav light. Caused lots of glare on the windshield. (Sorry, didn’t get a pic with the light on and the glare).

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Good to know. I have those blue switches too...

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ »

Blue LEDs are annoying...and it's not just your imagination; there's science behind it:

https://blog.codinghorror.com/blue-led-backlash/

footer

Post by footer »

Mark, thanks for that link. Quite interesting and explains a lot. I think I’m going to change to red because those blue are really annoying.
I’ve been working on my interior sidewalls which are a bit challenging.
So, last summer, I had a problem with getting on plane with four people on board and then pourposing when I got over 25mph.
I did a lot of reading and decided to go with these smart tabs I bought on Amazon. I am excited to see how well they work.
Attachments
Starboard panel under construction with removable panels to run cables through and access wiring.
Starboard panel under construction with removable panels to run cables through and access wiring.
Smart tabs
Smart tabs
Inside port panel in place but not finished.
Inside port panel in place but not finished.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

those panels look great! - I am jealous that you're getting ready for your second season....

footer

Post by footer »

Inside starboard panel. An old sailing friend suggested I put vent holes in my panels, so I did. Bottom holes are for air.
Because the boat has a curve and twist, I built it right into the panel. This one fit perfect first try (the port side took a lot of adjustments). Of course things always fit differently after epoxy and finish is on. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Attachments
Bow and twist set perfectly to fit right into place.
Bow and twist set perfectly to fit right into place.
First coat of epoxy.
First coat of epoxy.
Panel fitted in place. Right the first time. Dang!
Panel fitted in place. Right the first time. Dang!

Biss

Post by Biss »

The side panels are a nice touch. Hope the trim tabs fix your issues with porpoising. Seems like the Malahini really needs some weight farther forward to improve the CG. A big ice chest full of adult beverages under the bow may be the only solution!!

Biss

footer

Post by footer »

Thanks Biss. I’m excited to find out how well the tabs work.
I think your right about the CG. The 69 Merc I originally had, pulled a great hole shot with very little bow rise, where my new Merc (50 lbs heavier) has a lot of bow rise, porpoises, and struggles to get on plane with 4 people. Unfortunately, I can’t get any negative trim on my engine, it stops at vertical. So, I’m thinking the tabs should help.

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

I think you will be happy with how the trim tabs work. Like I mentioned to you before, I installed them on my TNT and they work great.

Lee

Return to “Power Boats”