MI Malahini Build, Post Flip.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: MI Malahini Build, Post Flip.

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:50 am

Footer

That should be a great system. We used that approach on power plants in salt environments. On metal, remove as much loose rust as possible, CPES, 2-Part epoxy paint, and then PU paint for UV protection. This also use in offshore work.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

footer

Post by footer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:56 am

I have to admit, I am the sloppiest epoxyer. I get that stuff on everything and myself. I painted a coat of white epoxy on the bow area and down the sides, just to get a coat on everything. Am doing a second coat soon.
I cut and fitted the floor and was not impressed with the amount it felt spongy, so i supported the edges with more gussets and blocks and a board down the center. It feels quite firm now.
I put together the motorwell ready for gluing together. I added in an extra 3/4" to the transom as my motor guy recommended.
Attachments
IMG_5281[1].JPG
Malahini; floor fitted. Motorwell mocked up. fitting bow deck.
IMG_5296[1].JPG
Malahini; Fitted flooring getting ready to screw down.
IMG_5293[1].JPG
Malahini; Added gussets towards the edge of the floor and center to support it better.

footer

Post by footer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:02 am

I found a great motor guy near me. He rebuilds old engines for a couple of the antique boat clubs in Michigan. He is building a 1960's Mercury 650 for me. It's going to look like this engine, but with a little more chrome and an internal trim like on new motors.
Attachments
IMG_5271[1].JPG
Malahini: appx. 1960 Mercury 650.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:38 am

I am taking lots of notes from your build for my own Malahini... The extra support under the floor is really a must, I planned on adding a vertical plywood stiffener at the keel just like the plywood stiffeners from the floor down to the middle bottom battens. That was so I had the choice to put down the plywood floor in two pieces or three, haven't decided. Now thinking it's a good idea to add stiffeners like you did at the outer bottom battens, the floor (sole, in boat design terms) needs good support especially under the seats. Your setup does that nicely.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:46 am

Gotta love a vintage motor on a vintage style boat, I have a 1965 Mercury 650 for my boat much like that 1969 version you show above. Great solid motor, I still think it's the perfect size.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:51 am

Those older Mercs look great on these classic boats! That said, I'm probably going to compromise and put a newer 4 stroke on mine. Can't wait to see how that 650 looks on your boat!

footer

Post by footer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:58 am

So, on the bottom, I put in some gussets to help support the floor. I also put blocks on either side of the frames. It really helped stiffen up the floor. For future reference, I would recommend putting a shim on the chine as there is still a soft spot there. It's off to the side, so it's not really noticeable. I got the flooring all finished and screwed down, but ran out of screws, so the forward port and stbd boards aren't screwed down yet.
I finish sanded and epoxied the aft section and rough fit the top deck board.
I rough fitted the bow top boards. You really see your mistakes when you get to this point.
My original intention was to go with a NEW 60 hp Mercury. Had the cash in hand. But, my wife decided we would buy a cottage on the lake to rent out for the summers and there went that idea. Like I said, I found a local guy that rebuilds old engines from the ground up and is building me a 60's model for $2200 complete with the newer enclosed power trim system. I'll post a picture of it when I get it.
Happy building
Attachments
IMG_5314[1].JPG
Malahini; Rough cutting the top deck boards. Checking the seating. 1/21/2019
IMG_5309[1].JPG
Malahini; All the framing is cut in and secured down. Time to finish sand and epoxy everything.
IMG_5305[1].JPG
Malahini; Under floor supports. I put in a gusset and two blocks on each frame.

footer

Post by footer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:23 am

Working on the dashboard. Played around with the gauges and steering to get things just where I wanted them. I made a jig to follow the curve of the top, so I could router in a 1/4" strip of Aspen. I also made a Walnut walnut strip to go along the bottom. The edges have been routered with a 1/4" radius bit and glued into place.
Attachments
IMG_5325[1].JPG
Malahini; Screwed a strip of ply to the top of the dash and glued a 3/32" strip of oak to it to shim it out as a guide, so the 1/4" router bit will end up in the center of the steeing a speedometer.
IMG_5330[2].JPG
Malahini; Dash with gauges, steering, and inlay.
IMG_5337[2].JPG
Malahini; Dashboard with Aspen inlay and Walnut bottom edge glued in place. 1/28/2019

footer

Post by footer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:52 am

My wife has this neat little machine called a "Cricut". It cuts out vinyl letters with fonts you buy online. She's made many picture frames with lake sayings with it. Anyway, we went through many fonts and came up with this one I used to accent my dash.
I'll use the same font to name my boat, which will be (and I know it's been used before) "Mahogany Mistress", since I spend as much time with her as I do my wife (my wife helped me with the name by the way. lol).
Attachments
IMG_5359[1].JPG
Malahini; Dash board with "Malahini" lettering made with my wifes "Cricut".

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:39 am

great progress...I like the dash. I had the same issue with the sole - pretty springy. I placed a support along the center, but will also need them along the outer battens, in part because I changed the sole a little, it doesn't go all the way to the chine, but stops short to meet a box/drink-holder/gusset-hider. Really looking forward to getting to the decking - although I expect that this will show my rather unfair lines so far, and expect to be doing some fairing, shimming, and filling...
Great to see your progress - and that's a beautiful engine at a steal of a price - congratulations!

Biss

Post by Biss » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Dash is lookin' great! You are making great progress.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:46 am

Looks great! My wife has one of those machines too. Came in handy to cut out the registration numbers. Planning to cut vinyl for boat name as well with it.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:23 pm

:D :D :D

footer

Post by footer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:33 am

I picked up this 18 gallon Aluminum fuel tank from a boat scrap yard for $50. It came out of a fiberglass bass boat. Fits perfect. Just have to build a frame to bolt it down to and polish it up a bit.
Attachments
IMG_5371[1].JPG
Malahini; Aluminum 18 gal fuel tank.

footer

Post by footer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:42 am

Playing around with how I want to build my windshield, so I cut one out of cardboard. this is what i want it to look like when I'm done. We'll see.
Attachments
IMG_4091[1].JPG
IMG_5362[1].JPG
Malahini; Mocking up a windshield.
IMG_5363[1].JPG
Malahini; Mocking up a windshield.

Return to “Power Boats”