Moderator: BruceDow

Biss

Re: MI Malahini Build, Post Flip.

Post by Biss » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:17 pm

That should look really classy!

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:57 am

Looking good. I think 18 gal. is a good size. I have 14 and wish I had a bit more.
The engine will look great and perform well. I had a '73 650 Merc at first. It started and ran well. However, the Captain didn't like the noise and smell of a two stroke so we went to a Yamaha 4-stroke. Heavier, but very quiet.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:16 am

I recall Bob's swap to the Yamaha, on his blog. That is definitely an option if the two stroke motor gets too obnoxious with noise and smoke. While the noise is what it is, I have found that the newer two-stroke oil from Mercury makes less smoke than in the past (lower ash content? Whatever that means). I have run it in my '71 Merc 500 and my '65 Merc 650. So little smoke and residue that I panicked for a split second the first time I ran with it, thought I forgot to add the oil.
Keep up the great work, I'm taking notes...
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

footer

Post by footer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:31 pm

My first choice was definitely not the two stroke, but it'll work for now. I hope to get a new Merc in a couple of years.
Thanks for the oil info. Ill check that out.

footer

Post by footer » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:15 am

So, My engine builder told me I should beef up my transom a little and it would be better to have a thicker transom, as the engine is a bolt on. Me being the kind of guy that does overkill on all structural things I build, I beefed it up. So, between the transom frame, I added another 3/4" and a 3/8" pieces of ply (the frame being 1.125" thick) and sandwiched the frame with a short piece of 3/8" ply for the piece of mind when I put my stern eye in.
Yeah, it's overkill, but I feel better.
I cut and planed my top deck boards to 3/8", because the rest of my boards were just under 1" rough sawn. So, I ripped them in half and planed them all even.
Since the perimeter boards are 6" wide and curved and my table saw can only cut 3", it was a challenge. I cut the rough curve out first on my band saw, then ripped them in half. this left up to an inch down the center. Then I took my sawzall with a long blade and finished ripping them. Then I ran them through my planer to take off the ridge that was left.
I made racing stripes that are 7" wide and did the same thing with them (they will be stained).
To get the edge boards to lay flat, I had to screw them down. Too many little imperfections in my work. I'll put plugs in them.
Attachments
IMG_5497[1].JPG
Roughing in the top deck boards.
IMG_5436[1].JPG
beefing up my transom.
IMG_5462[1].JPG
Laying out the perimeter boards.

footer

Post by footer » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:24 am

I got my pictures out of order.
Attachments
IMG_5496[1].JPG
Laying out my stern top deck boards.
IMG_5487[1].JPG
Roughing in the top deck boards.
IMG_5492[1].JPG
laying out the perimeter boards.

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:07 am

You are coming right along! I like your deck layout; that should look really good when it is all stained and finished.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:24 pm

Looks fantastic! Resawing curved boards.... I hadn't even thought of that problem yet.

footer

Post by footer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:15 am

I'm fortunate to be able to spend a lot of time lately working on the boat (no kids anymore and wife has her own crafts). So, I have been hitting it hard to be ready for the season.
I'm getting my Top Deck boards finished put on. After I installed the top perimeter boards (I don't know if there is an actual name), but that's where I realized how bad my eye is. Not quite as straight as it looked when i finished things up to get ready to put the ply on. Looks great from 15' back anyway, lol.
Started plugging the screw holes too. That wen't really well. I tried to chisel them off at first, but they kept chipping out following the grain. I ended up using my oscillating saw with a relatively new blade. I would rough cut it up a 1/16" or so,then go back a set the heel of the blade down level and then shave the rest of the plug off. It worked great and had very little scratches around it if any. Required little sanding after that.
Attachments
IMG_5502[1].JPG
All the top deck boards cut and fitted.
IMG_5514[1].JPG
Epoxying and securing the top deck boards.
IMG_5526[1].JPG
Bow Top deck finished. Stained racing stripes.

footer

Post by footer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:25 am

Installed plugs, cut off and sanded. Secured stern top deck boards.
Attachments
IMG_5528[1].JPG
Installed pugs
IMG_5529[1].JPG
Cut off the plug level with my oscillating saw and sanded smooth.
IMG_5532[1].JPG
Epoxying the stern top deck boards.

footer

Post by footer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:32 am

I'm a little A.D.D. so, I jump around a bit. I bought my channel for my windshield, so I am getting a bit excited on starting that. I made a ply pattern of it. That's going to be a bit of a challenge, but I'm looking forward to it.
Attachments
IMG_5536[1].JPG
Ply pattern for windshield.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:55 am

Your deck looks awesome! Really coming together nicely. I have a few questions: how did you get the tight butt joints between your perimeter boards, did you kerf them in place? What size screws and how deep did you countersink your screws for the deck boards?
I am building a Malahini too, planning to use the traditional method with 7/16" boards (no plywood). It seems there's as many methods for making tight joints as there are restorers.

footer

Post by footer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:17 am

Peter;
I commend you on using the traditional method, so I don't know if I'm going to be any help.
I put down the 1/4" ply first and epoxied the perimeter boards (3/8") down to it using mostly the 3/4 x 8 screws (In some places I used 1"-1.25" screws depending on what I had to screw into and through). I countersunk them with a 3/8" dia countersink with the straight side going down about a 1/16" then the taper.
I used the round style plug cutter (not the claw style, too labor intensive).
My perimeter joints are simply butt joints. I cut and fitted and secured them consecutively. So, once I had one screwed down, I brought in the next and butt it up to it. Then I took it back off and hard block sanded it until it fit, then screwed it down and moved on to the next (which there are three boards per side). The hard part was fitting the Bow Point butt joint. I didn't do so well there, but that is going to be covered with a plate anyway.
Ultimately, I pulled them all off and epoxied them and screwed them back down.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:20 pm

Thanks for explaining those, helps a lot. Yes the bow joint between the perimeter boards is more complicated, nothing is flat, it needs a back bevel to keep the joint tight. I've seen boat restorers not get it quite right. Keep up the great work!
Last edited by PeterG on Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:22 pm

Man, that is looking great!

Return to “Power Boats”