Texas Malahini "Now"

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

HubbTX06

Texas Malahini "Now"

Post by HubbTX06 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:29 am

I am back after a year. My last post was on July 29, 2017 (New Malahini Build "Finally") under the user name of Zip001. I know not very original. I started out to build a Zip, bought the plans and the lumber but decided to go with the Malahini. I then learned that you could not change your user name. So now that I am in TX, I just registered again with a new more personal user name.

Since that time, when I was traveling about 170 days per year, a few things have changed. I was transferred to TX which was a real blessing in disguise. My oldest son was working in Arlington TX and my youngest son is police officer in Irving TX. So for us this was fantastic. We settled in Waxahachie TX. We were blessed with our first grandson, who is simple amazing (I know we all think that:). We worked for a about a year in TX making our new home our own with about 100 projects and a complete kitchen rebuild for my wife. We decided this was our retirement location and that I was ready to retire after 29 years and 10 months. I did retire on Nov 30, 2018. It feels wonderful.

I have actually worked on the boat for about three afternoons. Trying to figure out where I left off and exactly how to get started again. It is coming along and will now pick up speed again.

I have said for the last two years that I would attend the gathering. This last year I actually made reservations months ahead of time then had to cancel due to the transfer. Barring the Lord stepping in, I will attend in 2019. If all goes well I will bring my boat.

I will get new pics up within the next day or two. Now that I am not traveling perhaps I will have more time to be online. Hopefully, I can offer some advice to others (most likely what not to do) instead of just reading. I can tell you I have missed this forum, the ideas, and the amazing talent that exist here. I have loved the Glen-L newsletters and looked forward to receiving them. It seemed to keep me at least daydreaming about getting back to the boat.

Step 1 is to try to find the best place to pick up some rough cut lumber in the Dallas area. I will need a few more boards soon.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Texas Malahini "Now"

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:03 am

Welcome back! We'll be looking for you in September at Nickajack!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:29 pm

I had some life changes during my build also. The important thing is to get back at it and it sounds like you're in a good place for that. Good luck and keep us posted.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:49 pm

Welcome back! We all have been there where life gets busy and a project falls by the wayside. I have a great big Malahini kit awaiting assembly. Soon. But now you're back working on yours, good luck! Ask plenty of questions, post lots of photos and have fun :D
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

HubbTX06

Post by HubbTX06 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:13 pm

Time for a question: Did you guys encapsulate every item on the interior with epoxy or does some items only get varnish with UV protection. I am wondering about floorboards (raised), the dash, armrest, coaming and trim. The full hull floor frames, motor well, etc is encapsulated. Kind of assumed I would always encapsulate every component, now I am wondering.

HubbTX06

Post by HubbTX06 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:26 pm

This is what the boat looked like when we first arrived in texas, after the move into the new shop.
texasarrival.JPG
This is my new motor from a donor boat. I was able to drive the boat and operate the motor before the purchase. It ran strong.
motor.JPG

HubbTX06

Post by HubbTX06 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:28 pm

I am now in the mock up stage as I begin to figure our where everything goes or seems to fit my desires.
mockup1.JPG
mockup2.JPG
mockup3.JPG

HubbTX06

Post by HubbTX06 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:37 pm

I also was able to ge the 14 gal aluminum tank out of the old boat. I gave it a good cleaning. Built an slightly elevated was to support it behind the rear seat and just in from of the motor well. It will be held in place via screws on one end and two nylon restraining straps. I put lexan strips with 5200 between the tank and any support or contact with the wood.
tank.JPG
tanklocation.JPG
Just realized all these photos are on their side. I will have to figure out how to prevent that.

For you Maharani guys, I have a couple of questions. I will have the two stroke motor mounted, the accompanying trim motor mounted on the starboard side of the motor well, and a 14 gal tank just forward of the motor well but behind the rear seat on the floor.

First question: should I place the battery forward or just mount it in the port side area of the motor well. I could also mount it centered under the rear seat but it wouldn't be ventilated very well. It is really about getting to much weight aft and how much is too much?

Second: Does everything get encapsulated in the interior? My entire hull is encapsulated. I was wondering about the ash floor, the dash, the armrest, coamings, etc.... Does any of that just get varnish with UV protectant. I will obviously be glassing my deck.

Look forward to your comments.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:50 am

I encapsulated everything.
Matt

footer

Post by footer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:08 am

I'm with Matt. I encapsulate everything, top and bottom, inside and out. Bare wood absorbs moisture even if it doesn't get wet. Of course, It's a bit more sanding.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:26 am

For the most part I encapsulate everything too. Exceptions are some interior work gets varnish only where sun exposure is the greater threat. 5 or 6 coats of varnish is pretty darn encapsulating.
Matt B

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:24 am

Battery question:
Any location is probably fine. I looked up your motor weight, looks like it’s about 250 lbs, not too heavy. I mounted my battery forward against frame 4 under the bow. In my simple mind, Gas tanks and spark makers are best kept separated.
It’s a longer run to your starter so you might have to up your wire gauge and marine tinned copper O gauge wire ain’t cheap.
Matt B

HubbTX06

Post by HubbTX06 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:15 pm

thank you all. I will proceed with glassing everything. After all this work, I want this boat to last. Maybe I will name it "Legacy". I am a ways from worrying about a name. Matt, I was thinking the same thing about the battery and the fuel system. I will put the battery up front for peace of mind with safety and weight and balance. I will have to go back and look at a few post I have previously reviewed about battery cable size for the starter. I know it has been discussed on here before. I appreciate the feedback. I ordered the Faria gauges and they have all arrived. I now have all gauges, USB plugs, 12V plugs, etc.. I am going with a portable bluetooth speaker system instead of doing a radio install. I did order the GPS speedometer based on the reviews online and the comments on this forum.

I think I have found a guy to do my upholstery. That is not a talent of mine and I want it to hold up and look good.

I just ordered more plywood from FL. It shipped and arrived in 3 days and was cheaper even with shipping than any marine ply in the Dallas area. Now I just need to find me a place to buy my hardwood. I have been looking for a local place with an hour or so but it looks like my choices may be limited.

Thanks again.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:57 pm

Just so you know we are not talking about putting fiberglass on the interior. Just encapsulation with epoxy.
Matt

Return to “Power Boats”