Otter's Ski Bass

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Otter's Ski Bass

Post by mrintense » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:57 pm

Good to hear from you again Chris. I also did the chine in one piece instead of two laminations and it was a bear. I would definitely do the lamination if I were to do another.

My shear to stem connection was ugly as sin as I only had 2 inches of clearance in front of the boat and it was very difficult to get in there. I used a cobbled together piece of plywood and some clamps. Dang thing broke when I started applying pressure!!.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Otter

Post by Otter » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:30 pm

Thanks Carl. Glad to know I'm not the only breaking things while building. :D .i must have snapped off a half dozen drill bits when trying to make the pilot holes on the chine logs and sheers.
Chris Otterness
Whitewater 16, Guillemot

Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:07 pm

it's been quite a while again since I've posted. I HAVE been.making progress...just doing a poor job remembering to snap photos. I'll get some sent out. Sheers are installed and I've made a.lot of progress fairing. Fairing is a blast, by the way! I have used lots of tools...power planer, belt sander, Jack plane, block plane. They all seem to have their place. i havent determined yet whether I'll need to laminate an extra strip over the.forward end of th chines...i might need just a little bit glommed on to get them fair.

Starting to think about the plywood installation, and I have a question about the screws and countersinking. reading the boatbuilding with plywood book, it tells you not to countersink prior to driving screws, but instead drive the screw past flush so it dents in the edges.of the plywood surrounding the screw. However, I have concerns about leaving enough room to cover the screws when I'm done with a filler, as I'm planning to finish the sides bright with no stain. I have seen some boat blogs where they have countersunk for the screws.prior to installation. any thoughts/opinions you can share?
Also, is Famowood the way to go for covering the screws? Any precautions I need to take in using it, so it doesn't stain the surrounding wood?
Chris Otterness
Whitewater 16, Guillemot

Otter

Post by Otter » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:05 pm

Finally got out to the shop with my phone. Here's some pictures of the frame coming along:
Attachments
20200117_164155.jpg
20200117_164202.jpg
20200117_164213.jpg
Chris Otterness
Whitewater 16, Guillemot

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:02 pm

Looks great! Keep it up!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!