Otter's Ski Bass

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Otter

Re: Otter's Ski Bass

Post by Otter »

today was my most productive day of the whole build....5 pieces of planking glued onto the boat: 3 on the side(now finished) and two on the bottom.
20200321_180502.jpg
It is really nice to see some tangible progress on the boat!
I probably pounded about 200 nails today...and in doing so hit my thumb about 400 times. Those 3/4 inch nails aren't easy to get started (at least not for me!)

Carl: you are absolutely right about clambering in the hull. I feel like I was up there half the day today.. I am thankful for the advice to raise the boat higher...much easier to work on/under it now.
Chris
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

Otter

Post by Otter »

I can't believe how far I've come along in the last month. I would suppose compared to some, mine is a glacial pace....but compared to the first year and a half of my boat build, I'm flying! One of the silver linings of COVID-19....lots of shop time.
I'm done with planking. Here's how she looks with her outer skin:
20200409_200605.jpg
There's one layer of 3/8 on the sides and two layers of 1/4 on the bottom. The 2nd bottom layer definitely went on easier the the first (probably because i learned from most of my mistakes doing the first layer).
Attachments
20200409_200635.jpg
20200409_200625.jpg
Last edited by Otter on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

Otter

Post by Otter »

I'm starting to think ahead now for the fiberglassing. I have done a bit of this in the past...a canoe and a kayak...but they definitely weren't quite this large of a scale.

A question for those of you who have done similar-size boats....how much of an area would it be appropriate to take on in a day? I was hoping to do one day on the transom, another day on the one half of the bottom and corresponding side, and then a third day doing the other half. Is half the bottom and one side too much to take on in a single layup? (this is an 18-footer with a 7'-4" beam). I have seen some suggest in the forum to do one half of the bottom, and then the side....is this suggestion just to break up the amount of area in a single lay-up, or is there another reason for not doing the bottom and side at the same time?

I'm using the West System special clear hardener, which has a very forgiving cure time....but again I definitely don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks.
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Looks nice.Some of the edges don't look rounded off.You might want to round those off before putting cloth on.(you can always get the sharp edges on transom by adding more epoxy and filler later.I remember something about laying out the cloth on hull the night before so it would relax a little-coarse if you built a canoe,you might know that.I did my Hull all in one day-mixing in small batches and pouring and alot of squeegee use to work resin into cloth-might want to tape or tack cloth down to hold it.I used the epoxy shield from Glen-L with slow hardener. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Otter: She looks nice. Like Chug said, make sure your edges are rounded or you might get a bubble under the cloth. It doesn't take to sharp edges well.
I did my whole boat in one day. I only did bottom up to waterline. I think your plan should work fine.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

TomB

Post by TomB »

Otter,

I did one side at a time, overlapping the keel. I don't have the stamina for the whole hull at once, your results may vary. Tape the hull under the glass edge, then cutting the fuzzy edge of the glass off at the edge of the tape while the epoxy is green will leave a much flatter glass job.

You're probably already on it, the sharp edges need to go, pencil radius so the glass can roll over the chine and transom. The hull planes need to be smooth. A little lip where the bottom planking overhangs the chine will cause problems. The epoxy will tend to run and leave a void.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

footer

Post by footer »

I say don’t rush it. Do one section at a time, make sure it’s perfect. Let it at least set up before you start trying the next section. If you get frays or clumps on the edges, you want to sand them out before you lay the next layer over it.
Let me echo; round your corners, just enough to to keep your cloth from popping loose.
Don't use the same mixing cup for more than one batch in a day. The old batch can cause the new batch to to start curing at an excellerated rate.

Squeegee or roller, I’ve used both. A Squeegee tends to move the cloth more, but works great on horizontal surfaces, but I recommend the roller for vertical surfaces.

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

And after mixing epoxy,pour out into paint roller tray.won't set up too fast that way if using rollers. :D I used alot of cheapie chip brushes too.Use and throw away-too big a bother to try to clean those.

Otter

Post by Otter »

Thanks, very helpful advice guys. I do recall from my canoe that I sanded a radius on the ends, but wished i had rounded them more.
Did you guys double up the fiberglass on the edges (i.e.with the transom, or at the bow)? I am not planning to install a cutwater. on my canoe, I had either a double or triple layer at the now. I would guess that's a little more critical on a canoe, but I can picture a lot of abrasion forces will occurs there on this kind of boat as well.
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

I did lap the edges a little.I installed that rubber strip available for bow abrasion from beaching.It didn't fit right on my Bo-jest hull,however it would work perfect on your hull-has its own adhesive and glues right to epoxy.I did mine later after bottom paint was on and had to remove that before install.That was the only pita. :D It's a Gator-Guard Keel-Shield.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I ended up glassing hull in sections. As in one half of the bottom at a time and then one side at a time. I think I did my transom first as it was a smaller area to learn on. Doing it this way has the added bonus of an extra layer at the chines and the keel.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

footer

Post by footer »

Definitely overlap.
Attachments
One half at a time, overlapped.
One half at a time, overlapped.

Otter

Post by Otter »

It took two Saturdays of work, but I finally got the fiberglassing done. last saturday, I did the transom and starboard side. Here's a couple of photos at my halfway point in the fiberglass layup:
20200427_190202.jpg
20200427_190145.jpg
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

Otter

Post by Otter »

Then today, I was able to wrap up the port side and the remainder of the bottom.
20200502_160909.jpg
20200502_160944.jpg
20200502_160915.jpg
You'll notice in the 2nd photo that I did have to fair through the veneer of the plywood bottom pieces at the bow. The sides are 3/8-inch ply, and the bottom is two layers of 1/2-inch....so the plans gave the option of notching out the chine 1/8-inch, or fairing the plywood. I TRIED to make a sufficient notch in the chine so they layers would be even....but with each successive layer of plywood that I installed, I lost progress on the notch that I made...so I ended up fairing anyway. Ugg!
Looks ugly now, but I will be painting the entire bottom all the way up to the bow along the chine line (+1-inch or so) ....so it will be covered up.

i definitely learned some lessons in the layup process. Day #2 (today) went WAY better and was less stressful than Day #1 (which was not a surprise). But I was more surprised how much I forgotten in the 12+ years since I last did a major fiberglass operation. I only started to feel like the nuances of it were coming back to me today. Like the right pressure and angle to use on the squeegee, and the best ways to get epoxy on the cloth quickly.
It was fun doing this again, but I'm glad I'm done. For me, this was a lot of effort trying to do this much area in two days of work. i think next time, I may take it slower and bite of smaller areas each day.
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Reminds me when I did my hull back in 2015. Such a big hull that I had to do it in sections like you mentioned. It was a lot of work, but it turned out fine after all of that.

Love the decoupage. It looks like it blended in quite nicely.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”