Otter's Ski Bass

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Ga-Steve

Re: Otter's Ski Bass

Post by Ga-Steve »

Looking really good Chris. You mentioned a page or two back about cleaning up epoxy squeeze out drips. What I used was a 4” flap wheel on my grinder. Made a quick go of cleaning drips up. I am sure doing a canoe before helped with your epoxy and glass. A little experience means a lot. Steve

Otter

Post by Otter »

Thanks, Steve & Carl. It's been a while since I last posted....a lot of irons in the fire, but I finally was able to get back to the boat and start my lift strakes. They took two partial weekends to complete. I worried for a while about how I was going to be able to bend them....I thought maybe I would have to soak them as I did my chines. As it turned out, I was able to make the bend at the bow just with elbow grease, a little swearing, and the mechanical advantage of the bolt at each forward end. I was just waiting to hear a loud "CRACK" as I was working the ratchet on each bolt....but I took my time and they held up. Almost....

On my last lift strake I installed, I had it propped up to apply epoxy. As I was picking it up to place it on the boat I heard the "CRACK" and the board split through one of the holes I pre-drilled, about 5 feet from the forward end (right where it transitions from the flat part of the hull to the bow). I said a few salty words....thinking of how much time I had spent making the darn thing, and now having to repeat the process. But, I took a breath and thought, "Can I make this work?" So I took the short section of lift strake in my hand, and bolted and screwed it in....and it held the curve of the bow like it needed to. Then I mixed some VERY thickened epoxy, and generously smeared it in over the broken end. Then I took the remaining 9' piece, and screwed it down the length of the hull....and the two ends mated just about perfectly. WHEW!!! My first really big recovery of the build. And despite the fact that I have a "broken" member on the boat, I'm comfortable with the fact that it is both epoxied and screwed (and bolted) to the hull....it is not going anywhere, and it's not going to affect the integrity of the boat.

Didn't have my camera with me in the shop...will have to send photos later.
Chris
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

Otter

Post by Otter »

Lift stakes are installed, and painting is complete. Here is a photo of the lift strakes installed:
20200525_130340.jpg
Then I put on my primer. Amazing how quickly it dried! I heard the warnings about keeping the humidity up, but still was surprised.
20200617_195534.jpg
Then I finally got the bottom paint rolled and tipped.
20200621_172149.jpg
Just a couple of coats of varnish on the sides, and I should be ready for the flip. I'm getting excited!

A quick question on the spar varnish...do I need to mask off the edge of the bottom paint? Also, is 2 coats typically sufficient for UV protection of the epoxy? I will keep the boat stored in a building.
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

Otter

Post by Otter »

Yesterday was flip day! I mounted casters to the building form and was able to wheel it out of my shop with about an inch to spare (glad I measure my doorframe!)
20200718_083704.jpg
Then with some strategically placed floor mats and blankets, three of us were able to roll it over.
IMG_0039.JPG
Process went a lot easier and quicker than I thought it would. Glad to be starting the next chapter in the process!
Now I have a WHOLE lot of encapsulation ahead of me....
Chris
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

Otter

Post by Otter »

Doing encapsulation in the interior of the boat now, and trying to figure out the best way of getting epoxy into the plywood at the limbers. I know...would have been smarter to have done that when i was installing the panels...but now I need to make due with hand I dealt myself. Any of you have any tips for the easiest way to get epoxy in there?
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I used a dowel wrapped in cloth that I soaked liberally with epoxy.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

The tiny little glue or flux brushes are great for tight spaces like that.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Otter

Post by Otter »

Thanks, Bryan and Matt! I will definitely give those ideas a.try.
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

Otter

Post by Otter »

I have started looking into what I need for my fuel system. The plans call for a belly style tank between stations 2 and 3, and provide approximate dimensions for the tank (though the plans warn that you should use the measured dimensions once the hull is built).

I have measured the space between frames 2 and 3, and it is about 1/2 to 1-inch bigger in all dimensions than the tank dimensions in the plans. So, a couple of questions for you all:
1. Is that about the amount of clearance I need/want to have? Logically, it sounds about right...but I have never done this before.
2. How does the tank get fixed to the hull? I will be having a custom built aluminum tank made.
3. Is there any particular forum thread that you would recommend for good discussion on the tank install?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

That's fine for tank clearance. Leaves a little room for some pads to protect from abrasion. Search on similar builds for install ideas.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

The great thing about deep vee is that big space under the floor for a fuel tank. Congrats on the flip. Your hull looks great.
Matt

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I realize you mentioned that you are getting a custom aluminum tank so I am just putting this out there for general knowledge. If you were putting in the cross linked polypropylene tanks, you need to allow for 3% expansion in the space you are installing them.

As for aluminum, do some searching on this as there is a right way and a wrong way to install these.

The boat looks great. Congratulations on the flip. Its a great milestone to reach.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Otter

Post by Otter »

Been a while since I've posted. Not for a lack of time spent on the build....just happens that most of my time spend has been THINKING and PLANNING rather than DOING. I did get my carlings installed, as well as drilling my hole for the bilge plug and cutting down a notch in my transom to match the motor mounting height. Here's a picture of the installed carlings:
20200920_171700.jpg
This was kind of the turning point in my design, where I started really deviating from the Glen-L plans. The placement of the carlings indicated on the plans resulted in a severely unfair line....so I made the width from the carling to the shear equal along the entire length of the boat. I think it turned out nice.
But that was really just the tip of the iceberg, as far as design modifications go. From this point on, I'm pretty much going rogue on the plans. The Glen-L design for this boat has a single bench seat that is about 6 inches above the sole, a single console, and an additional seat immediately in front of the console (I can't quite figure that one out....seems like visibility would be terrible). That layout really didn't fit with what I want to do with the boat.
Instead, I am going with two pedestal style seats, two consoles, and three flip-up seats that will be built into the rear deck. To do all of this, I need to raise the console elevation, move the console forward, and lower the rear deck. I spent A LOT of time measuring, drawing, and thinking. Eventually, I mocked up the layout so that it works. Here is what it generally looks like:
20200925_194058.jpg
20200925_205739.jpg
I am planning to flare the consoles down to the sheer, so it doesn't look so square....another design mod. Tomorrow hopefully I can start framing in this structure. Starting to look at little more like a boat!
If any of you have any suggestions or questions about the layout, I would love to hear them.

Chris
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Nice job. Your mods look perfectly reasonable. The Geronimo has a similar height bench seat in the plans. If I was sitting that low I would barely be able to see over the dash.
Matt

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Nice work!!!

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Power Boats”